MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

12 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Any given Sunday is a saying for a reason.  The NFL is a grown mans league and no one should be taken for granted.

LAC will play the game to lock up the #5. I think they are up the tiebreaker on Balt, so would they want to lose and go to a cold weather game in Cinci or win and go to balmy Jacksonville most likely or go against a Tannyhill-less Titans and shell of his former self DH? Yeah, we don't know until the games are played, but I'll let Vegas cap those odds.

I mean, this is the most simplified solution for sure as opposed to seeding eight teams in each conference. But it's clearly weighted towards the Chiefs based on past performance. The AFC East has been the toughest division all year, and the Bills have the tie-breaker on the road against KC no less. 

I think they could have went Bye Chiefs, and then road game for the AFC CG, or given them the option to play WC weekend and host AFC CG at 14-3.

Edited by WheatieMan

31 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Literally none of the benefits and all of the downside.  I guess some T-Shirt and Hat merhandise money?  Can't imagine them being big sellers in that scenario though.  I hope we just come out and kick the **** out of Baltimore this weekend and make it a moot point though.  Then I can ***** about how we were screwed if KC manages to lose this weekend or if we have to go to Buffalo without a chance to win that game, lol.  Assuming we first win in the WC round of course.

For the sake of Damar and the big picture of what's important here, I'm trying to keep my composure, but I can't help feel like this season is now tainted to an extent. Nothing is official yet. They're voting on this proposal today, but the fact it was even tabled bothers me.

We had our destiny in our hands. Beat Bills, beat Ravens, get the 2 seed or potentially the 1 (unlikely KC loses, but whatever). Plenty of home field for the playoffs, potential Burrow MVP consideration, etc. Now what? Now it's all gone out the window for the sake of compassion. We're basically locked into the 3 seed and have to fight for HFA in the first round.

And for the record, I do believe that Zac Taylor and the Bengals made the right choice Monday. It just bothers me to no end that out of all the teams we're the ones that seem to benefit the least. And this isn't Bengals bias showing. This is the sentiment across all platforms.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

And for the record, I do believe that Zac Taylor and the Bengals made the right choice Monday. It just bothers me to no end that out of all the teams we're the ones that seem to benefit the least. And this isn't Bengals bias showing. This is the sentiment across all platforms.

Buffalo should come out and forfeit that game, take the L and give Cinci the W. In my eyes it would be the right thing to do and avoids all of this what if neutral site nonsense.

9 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

For the sake of Damar and the big picture of what's important here, I'm trying to keep my composure, but I can't help feel like this season is now tainted to an extent. Nothing is official yet. They're voting on this proposal today, but the fact it was even tabled bothers me.

We had our destiny in our hands. Beat Bills, beat Ravens, get the 2 seed or potentially the 1 (unlikely KC loses, but whatever). Plenty of home field for the playoffs, potential Burrow MVP consideration, etc. Now what? Now it's all gone out the window for the sake of compassion. We're basically locked into the 3 seed and have to fight for HFA in the first round.

I feel you and just like the Bengals, the Bills had destiny in their hands for the 1 seed, bye week and homefield and that was all taken away and they only way we retake the 1 seed is if the Chiefs lose to the Raiders (not happening). 

I haven't been keeping up with the Bengals scenarios, but if they beat the Ravens Sunday do they get the home field and 3 seed for the first round of the playoffs? If they do it seems like they just got shafted out of the opportunity to take the 2 seed from Buffalo (if they beat them on MNF). 

• Cincy getting screwed because they don't have a shot at the 1 seed, and 2 seed is unlikely unless Buffalo loses to the Pats
  • Bills getting screwed because they lost the 1 seed/bye/home field and can't get it back unless the Chiefs lose (not happening) and the Bills win. 
  • Chiefs getting screwed because if Cincy ends up winning that Buffalo game, they are the clear #1 seed and should get homefield advantage throughout the playoffs. But now if they play the Bills it'll have to be in Indy or something. 

No real winners here and I feel like every fan base has some issue to be a tad upset.

• Like 1

I’ts so sickening listening to everybody acting like they were slighted more than the other teams that are directly involved. I hope they go no contest and leave everything alone. KC and CINCINNATI can then be happy they got the one seed and the definite home playoff game in the wild card and just the Bills and Ravens lose out. It’s such a joke how some can’t look at the situation objectively and only focus on their own teams situation (usually only one side of that also). 

2 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I’ts so sickening listening to everybody acting like they were slighted more than the other teams that are directly involved. I hope they go no contest and leave everything alone. KC and CINCINNATI can then be happy they got the one seed and the definite home playoff game in the wild card and just the Bills and Ravens lose out. It’s such a joke how some can’t look at the situation objectively and only focus on their own teams situation (usually only one side of that also). 

There are plenty of us who have no dog in the fight - Texans are still slotted for 1 or 2, so I can think objectively on this.

This solution really gives the Bengals the raw end of the stick, and that’s about it. HFA is mitigated against with neutral field designation - if the Bills are truly the best team in the AFC, they should be able to win in Indianapolis (proposed neutral field). They don’t get HFA in the same way KC or Cincinnati doesn’t get HFA, but if someone else sneaks in (sort of like Cincinnati last season) then advantage reverts back to Bills.

What is the concern here? Articulate it for me.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

There are plenty of us who have no dog in the fight - Texans are still slotted for 1 or 2, so I can think objectively on this.

This solution really gives the Bengals the raw end of the stick, and that’s about it. HFA is mitigated against with neutral field designation - if the Bills are truly the best team in the AFC, they should be able to win in Indianapolis (proposed neutral field). They don’t get HFA in the same way KC or Cincinnati doesn’t get HFA, but if someone else sneaks in (sort of like Cincinnati last season) then advantage reverts back to Bills.

I will as soon as I get a chance. 

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He has been lashing out at everyone who doesn't agree with him and ignoring arguments for days. I'd leave it be.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

He has been lashing out at everyone who doesn't agree with him and ignoring arguments for days. I'd leave it be.

I’m aware. I appreciate the heads up though!

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I get the posters sentiment but the unfortunate part that makes fans/teams feel slighted is not just Buffalo or Cincinnati are effected by this. As much as the human element is at play (Hamlin) there is the “still have to play the games” part of it. There was a small chance Cincy could be the 1 seed, there was a chance Baltimore won the AFCN, there was the chance Buffalo had nothing to play for and NE got an easier matchup. 

I know near loss of life is horrific, but the NFL kept games going after paralyzation and near paralyzation and didn’t do anything for the teams involved. I think the teams involved here (and fans) should be happy the NFL is doing something.