MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:
7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Apples and oranges. 

Is it?

I mean sure one happened on the field and the other happened at practice, but at the end of the day I think they are the same in that - I don't think you could blame a player for wanting to sit out after either scenario, but I do think the NFL will push to continue.

I don’t like it but I do agree with this - the response from the NFL is really seeing these two events as similar, IMO.

Just now, Soggust said:

Is it?

I mean sure one happened on the field and the other happened at practice, but at the end of the day I think they are the same in that - I don't think you could blame a player for wanting to sit out after either scenario, but I do think the NFL will push to continue.

Hamlin had cardiac arrest on the field in game. 

Belcher killed his GF and died by suicide in front of some coaches, GM, and owner without the world watching. 

I don’t blame any player that would want to sit out and both are tragic. But Still having a game after what Belcher did isn’t comparable to continuing a game after what happened with Hamlin. Additionally in the case of Belcher, the NFL/Crennel/Captains decided they wanted to play. 

33 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

So the Bills (who just flew home) are supposed to fly back on a whim within the next two days and play?

You have to remember the fact that this league is run by billionaires.

Not exactly an altruistic bunch.

They will fiercely resist anything that jeopardizes their money, and the logistics of canceling this game or declaring a tie has ripple effects and would set a precedent that they cannot abide.

COVID was a public safety issue. Sorry to say it, but one man going down isn't enough for them to go along with this willingly. It hasn't been determined yet, but you have to view it from the heartless perspective of corporate interests.

Edited by Calamity_Cometh
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

It makes sense just to scrap this particular game altogether, but they still have to play a game in a few days whether it's this one or the next.

• Like 2

Yep, and Goddell is their malleable tool.

I can't fathom the players who witnessed that being in a headspace to play so soon afterwards, especially not even knowing if the kid will be ok yet.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

So the Bills (who just flew home) are supposed to fly back on a whim within the next two days and play?

Yup, and they’re flying private. That takes a lot of the logistics out of the equation, players show up to the facility as usual and are shuttled directly to the runway. 

The challenge is going to be on the equipment staff - who has to now get everyone’s stuff back to Cincinnati.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Hamlin had cardiac arrest on the field in game. 

Belcher killed his GF and died by suicide in front of some coaches, GM, and owner without the world watching. 

I don’t blame any player that would want to sit out and both are tragic. But Still having a game after what Belcher did isn’t comparable to continuing a game after what happened with Hamlin. Additionally in the case of Belcher, the NFL/Crennel/Captains decided they wanted to play. 

I think you are comparing the wrong things.

I'm not saying the events are similar. I'm saying that in both events, the expected reaction is similar.

It's completely understandable why a player wouldn't want to play soon after either event. I'm saying I think that the NFL will push to keep the show moving on, for any players that want to keep playing and in the league's interest, similarly to the Belcher incident (as you mentioned). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Yup, and they’re flying private. That takes a lot of the logistics out of the equation, players show up to the facility as usual and are shuttled directly to the runway. 

The challenge is going to be on the equipment staff - who has to now get everyone’s stuff back to Cincinnati.

I would think the bigger issue is the hotel.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I don’t like it but I do agree with this - the response from the NFL is really seeing these two events as similar, IMO.

Growing up in the home with DV seeing Belchers name got to me as to why it’s apples and oranges. The NFL reacted to this in a similar way as Korey Stinger. The Vikings cancelled a couple of practices, but the game a few days later still went on. Granted they had more time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I think you are comparing the wrong things.

I'm not saying the events are similar. I'm saying that in both events, the expected reaction is similar.

It's completely understandable why a player wouldn't want to play soon after either event. I'm saying I think that the NFL will push to keep the show moving on, for any players that want to keep playing and in the league's interest, similarly to the Belcher incident (as you mentioned). 

They’re similar because that’s the NFLs playbook on tragic events. I’m sorry but growing up around DV my first response when someone tries to but that at the same level of this is going to be to call it out. This doesn’t make on tragic event better than the other, but there could have been other examples used. 

It is a much tougher decision with it being two teams in the hunt for the 1 seed and then playing teams with playoff implications the next week.

If this was the 'Ders and maybe the Texans or something, cancel it and move on. Who cares? Unfortunately there's a lot at stake in terms of the football world so I'm not surprised there isn't an answer yet. 

8 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I would think the bigger issue is the hotel.

That makes a bit more sense - still a doable proposal, just outside of normal circumstances (split the team up across 3-4 hotels, etc). 

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

They’re similar because that’s the NFLs playbook on tragic events. I’m sorry but growing up around DV my first response when someone tries to but that at the same level of this is going to be to call it out. This doesn’t make on tragic event better than the other, but there could have been other examples used. 

Obv wasn't trying to bring up any tough feelings for anyone by mentioning JB, but it's just an easy example for me to remember being a Chiefs fan and, specifically for me, because I worked with his neighbor, so I remember her being investigated that morning, etc. 

There are numerous examples I'm sure we could bring up. I don't think I need to clarify the differences between these two events, but I certainly agree, they are light years apart as incidents with the only thing they share being tragedies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It is a much tougher decision with it being two teams in the hunt for the 1 seed and then playing teams with playoff implications the next week.

If this was the 'Ders and maybe the Texans or something, cancel it and move on. Who cares? Unfortunately there's a lot at stake in terms of the football world so I'm not surprised there isn't an answer yet. 

I’m not envious at all of who has to make these calls and in fact I pity them. There’s no right answer. 

My $0.02:

Let the PA reps on every team talk and get a feeling of the mood. Do a call with Cincy/Buff players first. Then do a call with all 32 reps. I think all options should be on the table. From resume play tomorrow, to cancelling week 18 and have this game finish next weekend. 

Edit:

Honestly - they need to wait and see how Hamlin does in the next 24-48 hours before deciding anything. Because last thing you want is him passing as the Bills are playing. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1