MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

We're not "essentially taking" or "essentially giving" anything. There were 18 weeks for each team to play 17 games, and it turns out 2 of them could only fit in 16 games, so we apply the rules as best we can.

I guess I'd be okay with a tie or no contest if the league literally can't think of any reasonable solution. But having the Bills forfeit doesn't seem like the optics the NFL would want to put out there. 

• Like 1

What were the calculated win probabilities at the time of the stoppage? Around 55%/45% for Cincinnati?

Just take 100 ping pong balls, put the Bengals logo on 55, the Bills logo on the other 45, and draw one at random. Whichever logo is on the ball is the team declared the winner. You could even throw in a 'tie' ball.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

First off Jim Irsay hasn't turned his nose at anything under any circumstances ever, but excluding him, yes, every owner is going to want to keep their media contracts intact. No one wants to fiddle with the SB air time.

They still get every possible thing they would have. It’s all just a week later. 

*except the pro bowl. 

2 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

So you mean it would be fair to them all? What a novel concept. 

It wouldn't be fair to them all. Key guys get an extra week to heal up when I have an opportunity to steal seeding from them.

If I'm an NFC team, I'm bristling at the idea of giving Jalen Hurts another week to heal up his shoulder and lock that #1 seed.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

It diminishes the achievement of the 1st seed immensely.

And it is infinitely easier for them to give the Bills a loss and the Bengals a win. The reasoning will be that a Bills player went down.

With the way every team is coming together and cancelling press conferences/NFL HOF announcements tonight, etc can't see the league coming out during all this and say the Bills get a loss and forfeit because of it but that's just me. 

• Like 1

Just now, The BILLievers said:

With the way every team is coming together and cancelling press conferences/NFL HOF announcements tonight, etc can't see the league coming out during all this and say the Bills get a loss and forfeit because of it but that's just me. 

Me neither. And I do not support it.

But I would prepare for it.

• Like 1

Just now, The BILLievers said:

Those events do nothing to competitive balance. This does - tremendously.

• Like 2

Just now, ET80 said:

It wouldn't be fair to them all. Key guys get an extra week to heal up when I have an opportunity to steal seeding from them.

If I'm an NFC team, I'm bristling at the idea of giving Jalen Hurts another week to heal up his shoulder and lock that #1 seed.

As a Ravens fan, having Lamar Jackson get one more week to heal up would be absolutely game changing for us. Not to mention we also have Marcus Peters and Calais Campbell who are injured, too. An extra week would be monumental.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BillSabre said:

They still get every possible thing they would have. It’s all just a week later. 

*except the pro bowl. 

The ads would all be shuffled to different games, which would effect their value/payout, what if any of the ads are time sensitive, how do trophy presentations/postgame stuff get handled, are the half-times all exactly the same length to the second, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know anything about advertising, but there's no way that's a simple process.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

As a Ravens fan, having Lamar Jackson get one more week to heal up would be absolutely game changing for us. Not to mention we also have Marcus Peters and Calais Campbell who are injured, too. An extra week would be monumental.

As a Ravens fan, I ask you this because this is all a bit outside my realm...

Does a Cincinnati tie or no contest lock you out of the playoffs?

Edited by Calamity_Cometh

5 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

So you mean it would be fair to them all? What a novel concept. 

Except it's not. As a Bills fan, I understand this is a double bad situation for you guys. But there is no easy or perfection solution to this. What you are suggesting benefits the Bills. And I understand why you think that's the best option. But it's not the best option for the greater good. And unfortunately, the NFL and Goodell work for 32 owners, not just 1. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Those events do nothing to competitive balance. This does - tremendously.

They are going to play the game and figure out a way to make the schedules work. *As crappy at is it* this is the scummy NFL money driven league and we all know it. You think they are going to miss the chance on having this game played again for a ratings bonanza? I dont think so.

If they reworked all of the schedules on a weekly basis in the Covid year--they are going to figure out a way to get this game fit in somewhere.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The NFC literally hangs in the balance with the 1-3 seed (along with the NFCE and Philly/Dallas) and Jalen Hurts getting injured is the only reason that's the case.

Jerruh is not giving Hurts an extra week. 

• Like 2