MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

Just now, paul-mac said:

You realise a “tie” and a “no-contest” mean the exact same thing right? Half a win and half a loss in the standings.

Tie means "these two teams played and scored the same number of points at the end of the game".

No contest other means "we tried to have these two teams play but it didn't happen".

Those are very much not the same thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

"It's not about how hard of a hit it was," said Dr. Comilla Sasson, an emergency medicine physician in Denver and a spokesperson for the American Heart Association. "It’s actually about the timing of when the blow happens."

Normally, the heart pumps oxygen-rich blood throughout the body about every second. There is a rhythm to the process, keeping the blood flowing at a healthy pace. But every time the heart beats, there is a tiny moment — less than a fifth of a second — that makes the heart vulnerable to the force of a projectile, such as a hockey puck or a baseball, that can lead to a chaotic and potentially deadly heart rhythm.

It is in this exact moment, experts say, that a blow to the chest in the exact right place can launch an otherwise healthy person into cardiac arrest. The heart's electrical system malfunctions, and the heart beating rhythm goes haywire.

Seconds after such an injury are critical to the patient's survival, Sasson said.

"For every one minute that you don't have CPR performed, your chances of survival go down by about 10%," she said. In Hamlin's case, medical personnel on the sidelines rushed in to perform CPR until he was stable enough to be taken by ambulance for further treatment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/cardiac-arrest-causes-buffalo-bills-damar-hamlin-rcna64020

I still can't believe this is a thing. It sounds like something out of a Bruce Lee movie. In a world where people have survived particle accelerators, nuclear bombs, and plane crashes.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This would be so spectacularly tone deaf god I hope they do it

does it actually change anything seeding-wise vs giving both times a tie? I actually don't know (and espn generator has simply removed the game entirely as an option at this point).

No contest seems like the most obvious option, regardless of fallout. It reflects the reality of what happened. Same thing that would happen if lights went out, or there was a storm, or some other 'act of god' that resulted in a clear decision to halt play.

awarding a tie just doesn't seem to make any sense to me

awarding a forfeit (or plural) seems unnecessarily tone deaf as you stated when a no-contest is a far better option

rescheduling the game seems logistically improbable

that's how I would approach this if I were in the front office

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Not fair to call him a POS

I’ll change to insensitive and tone deaf. If the NFL deems it a tie or forfeit everyone will know the reason why the bills aren’t the 1 seed. It’s because of what happened last night and not because of Cousins/Zach Wilson. 

Edited by The BILLievers
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Absolutely other teams are affected, but less than changing the schedule for all teams. 

Changing the schedule for all teams at least changes it for, by definition, all teams, rather than just a few. The fact certain teams could be argued to possibly benefit more or less than others I see as less relevant than having the outcome actually determined by foootball games. I can see how some would disagree

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

A tie doesn't just affect the Bengals and bills

Nobody said there wouldn't be impact - or perhaps I misworded it, the impact would be minimal.

Some of these suggestions impact NFC teams. Why would any suggestion include them?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

does it actually change anything seeding-wise vs giving both times a tie? I actually don't know (and espn generator has simply removed the game entirely as an option at this point).

No contest seems like the most obvious option, regardless of fallout. It reflects the reality of what happened. Same thing that would happen if lights went out, or there was a storm, or some other 'act of god' that resulted in a clear decision to halt play.

awarding a forfeit (or plural) seems unnecessarily tone deaf as you stated when a no-contest is a far better option

Yep and gives them the option of pretending the game never happened for standings. As little intervention as possible.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It feels like there should certainly be an act of god/natural disaster clause somewhere in their damn bylaws but with how silent it is, perhaps not. Although I think they are waiting on a Hamlin update, they can't wait forever.

• Like 1