MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

oh-no-dont-do-that.gif

^^ That isn't really tied to his tweet mentioned in this thread as much as me just finding him annoying as hell.

It was awkward. Shannon wanted to monologue on why he wasn’t there, said it was tied to Skips tweet, and Skip just injected himself 5 times saying he apologized. Shannon said it wasn’t good enough and he needed to explain. They should have prerecorded Shannon’s monologue and played it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

It was awkward. Shannon wanted to monologue on why he wasn’t there, said it was tied to Skips tweet, and Skip just injected himself 5 times saying he apologized. Shannon said it wasn’t good enough and he needed to explain. They should have prerecorded Shannon’s monologue and played it. 

Yeesh, wow, just saw a video of that...

First Things First is the best sports show on TV, so wouldn't hate if it got moved up to the prime morning slot instead of being buried in the afternoon like it currently is.

Undisputed is decent, but the show feels like it's on life support after this morning oof. 

41 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Gotta be honest.  Once the ambulance left the field, I headed out to the concourse to breathe.  While there, I noticed the ambulance finally leave the stadium at least 10 minutes later.  I know they said they waited for him mom to make her way down there, but I have never heard of another cardiac arrest case ever be delayed going to the hospital for any reason.  It's that crucial.  At the time, I feared that he coded again and they had to revive him in the tunnel.  

I’ve been on emergency scenes and thought “just go!” for a dozen times. Sometimes heart related, but for a litany of cases. They sometimes take awhile.

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

First Things First is the best sports show on TV, so wouldn't hate if it got moved up to the prime morning slot instead of being buried in the afternoon like it currently is.

Undisputed is decent, but the show feels like it's on life support after this morning oof. 

Of course the chiefs fan would say that lol!

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Of course the chiefs fan would say that lol!

Kevin Wildes > Nick Wright

And I've been a Nick Wright fan since he was a radio guy for 610 sports before he moved to Houston.

But Wildes is the GOAT.

Edited by Soggust

1 minute ago, August4th said:

skip would of avoided the backlash if he waited until the morning to tweet that out

decades in media, figure he'd know how to read a room

You are 100% right in reality, so please don't take this as me disagreeing.

But in a vacuum - the idea that Skip might lose his show/job/partner, not because he said anything egregious or wrong, but because it was "too soon" and, for some reason, folks believe that other humans can't be concerned about more than one thing at a time is crazy to me.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Move NE/BUF and BAL/CIN to Saturday.

Play BUF/CIN on Wednesday next week. 

If KC is locked into the one seed and the game is to determine the 2 and 3 seed then #2 gets MNF and #3 gets SNF. (BUF and CIN could always rest starters in the Wednesday game if they feel it isn't worth it.)

I suggested this yesterday and I don’t see why the NFL didn’t make it happen. It made more sense than any other decision. 

A few points without knowing all the specifics, that occur with cardiac arrest from this kind of situation: 

-At this stage it’s pretty much unknown what’s happening recovery-wise.   Standard practice would be to keep him from getting higher body temps for first 24 hours as that protects the brain from further injury.  But the real Q is how much injury arose from that period of time where the heart stopped.

-CPR helps but it’s far from a guarantee brain injury was prevented (although no CPR is certainly far worse than CPR with uncertain effectiveness).   After the 24 hr cooling period ends most likely he’s weaned off sedation to see how much responsiveness there is.   If he’s fully awake and responsive / obeying complex commands it’s very hopeful.   Given the timing it’s possible but less likely the hopeful signs mentioned were this type of sign but if it  was there it certainly would be good news. 

-Even if he’s not as responsive more time will help determine his neurological recovery.   As long as there’s no other injury or swelling, it’s then about giving time to see how much injury / recovery there is.   It’s standard practice to give 72 hours with cardiac arrest.  The issue that could delay things here is his ability to wean off a ventilator. 

-There are other clinical situations where more time is needed to prognosticate (trauma, metabolic reasons) - but in cardiac arrest with complete lack of oxygen, it’s more apparent re: recovery.   Still it’s not surprising there is no news about neurological recovery / prognosis now, and likely not for several days.

-Being able to wean off the ventilator would help in evaluating his brain injury / recovery as any sedation used can mask recovery that is present. Sedation is easier to stop completely (common to pause and evaluate pt in this stage) if pt off ventilator & tube removed.  

-In this case Hamlin’s lungs need to have recovered enough to allow being removed off life support  (most likely reason for damage is aspiration with chemical Injury - often recovers esp with healthy patients) to allow this.  It’s good news that his oxygen needs are down; so long as his brain reflexes can take over breathing on his own, extubation (removal off life support) would make it easier to determine the extent of his neurological recovery, without sedation.    If his neurological recovery doesn’t make that possible yet, other ways to wean off sedation / life support are considered.   

-At this stage in otherwise healthy patients it’s usually neurological injury / recovery that is the major unknown.   The fact his lungs / heart have recovered so far by itself doesn’t predict overall prognosis (although if other organs were failing that’s awful news - but other organ recovery doesn’t predict neurological recovery) .  It’s really about brain injury and what recovery is seen.  

-The most likely outcome heart/lung wise is they’re already recovered.   Until they do it does cloud the picture - but first & foremost it’s about how much brain injury & neurological recovery they will see.   More time will help show this - sadly tests aren’t nearly as predictive as clinical recovery over time.  

-The hard part is his family and friends / teammates just need to wait with uncertainty for a while.  The range of outcomes can still be full functional recovery (but if you do complex cognitive testing there’s some impairment - just doesn’t prevent a return to normal life) to catastrophic injury.   Obv the fact he got CPR and was previously healthy helps give more hope - but fear/concern is still warranted.   And the only real test is time, and clearance of sedation / other problems settling.   Waiting is the hardest part.   

Sorry for the length but this is a very grey area, esp without actual details but I hope it paints a clearer picture.  Hope that helps, 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I mean, they haven't even announced the time for BAL/CIN yet.

I wonder is this is the game the NFL is eyeing up for cancelling. If the outcome effects division winner and HFA, play it. If the game has no impact on division winner or HFA, cancel it.