Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Jets are overrated in my eyes. Defense gets a lot of praise for a big turn around from the previous season, but look at who their wins came against outside Rodgers (wk 6) and Allen (wk 9) they played:

Their OL is also currently a mess, Breece Hall is coming off of a torn ACL, and Garrett Wilson is their only proven pass catcher.

On 2/21/2023 at 6:43 PM, NYRaider said:

If you come to New York you could be a first ballot HOFer, but, we're not ready to commit to you yet because we want to see what happens with Rodgers...

I think Carr is going over his options. He knows that division is going to be tough and he’s in no hurry to sign with them. I imagine he’d really rather play in the NFC South but I think it’ll come down to money. 

21 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

They would have to get out to a fast start and have a great run game that could carry them in the late season games.  8 of the teams they play have open fields in cold weather environments and then every home game is the same.  It is possible that his final 6 weeks are played in 40 degree weather or below.

I just think they lost a lot of close games because they had no QB.  Give them an average one and they'll win some of those.  7 wins can quickly become 10.  Doesn't mean they are good or competing for a championship, just a playoff contender.  

1 hour ago, true2form said:

I just think they lost a lot of close games because they had no QB.  Give them an average one and they'll win some of those.  7 wins can quickly become 10.  Doesn't mean they are good or competing for a championship, just a playoff contender.  

Maybe, but is Carr the answer?

Carr had lower passer rating in the second half than in first half for his entire career. 4 seasons, it dropped 15 or more points, 2 seasons under Gruden. He also miserably underperforms in the red zone. 

19 hours ago, Dessie said:

Unusual take I guess but I thought DC was a good QB for the Raiders, was never THE problem but definitely struggled this past season. Decision made to move on from him but I wish him all the best.

Can’t understand all this  ‘ hope he breaks a leg’ or hoping him to fail mentality, more interested in what we do as a team not how well/badly he does now. 

Good post, I agree with this entirely. 👏

I haven’t seen Washington mentioned much but that seems like a decent fit for Carr too.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I haven’t seen Washington mentioned much but that seems like a decent fit for Carr too.

Washington has an unstable ownership situation. 

I would respect Carr if he went to the Jets. Show everyone you can play in cold weather. Show you can go toe to toe with Josh Allen. That you can defeat a Belichick defense. That you can outscore a McDaniel offense. Show you can compete in the AFC.  

I still think he goes to the NFC South for a soft landing where his ego will stroked being the best QB in a bad division and he gets a few meaningless playoff appearances. 

His choice will be telling. Is he really about that Mamba mentality he preaches, or is he truly just soft.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I would respect Carr if he went to the Jets. Show everyone you can play in cold weather. Show you can go toe to toe with Josh Allen. That you can defeat a Belichick defense. That you can outscore a McDaniel offense. Show you can compete in the AFC.  

I still think he goes to the NFC South for a soft landing where his ego will stroked being the best QB in a bad division and he gets a few meaningless playoff appearances. 

His choice will be telling. Is he really about that Mamba mentality he preaches, or is he truly just soft.  

You mention Washington being an unstable organization, which it is. Then you list the Jets like they’ve been some model franchise lol when’s the last time the Jets have had any sustained success? They’re right on par with the Raiders. Brady gets slurped left and right around here and dominated a weak AFCE for the majority of his career then dipped as soon as Josh Allen showed anything, to the same NFC South you want to clown DC for potentially deciding to go to. I’m not comparing DC to Brady, but y’all go out your way to hate. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Geezy said:

You mention Washington being an unstable organization, which it is. Then you list the Jets like they’ve been some model franchise lol when’s the last time the Jets have had any sustained success? They’re right on par with the Raiders. Brady gets slurped left and right around here and dominated a weak AFCE for the majority of his career then dipped as soon as Josh Allen showed anything, to the same NFC South you want to clown DC for potentially deciding to go to. I’m not comparing DC to Brady, but y’all go out your way to hate. 

It sounds like Brady & Gronk was headed to the Raiders before they went to the Bucs until Gruden put a stop to it. 

48 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I should have said unstable ownership situation. I agree, the Jets organization is similar to the Raiders. 

Brady left the Pats because they couldn't agree on a multi-year contract. Brady also dominated the entire NFL to the tune of 6 Championships. Maybe put some respect on him before talking that smack. I doubt Brady feared Josh Allen and the Bills.... the great ones revel in competition. Brady wanted to go to San Fran, even Vegas apparently and ended up in Tampa.

You are comparing apples and oranges here. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If Carr was as bad a QB as you are all making out it wouldn’t matter where he lands. Any other QB is going to pick the destination that favours him  best, nonsensical otherwise. So worried that Carr that might do well that now we have this situation whereby he is going to be judged as to what division he goes to, hilarious. Rent free in some people’s heads..

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

They need to improve their offensive line but they have a solid group of skill guys and obviously they just made a big time offensive hire with EB. They have an excellent defense, strong coaching staff, and were competitive in arguably the toughest division in football last year with subpar QB play. But the NFC East is extremely tough just like the AFC East.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

It doesn’t really concern me now he’s not the Raiders QB but how on earth does going to New Orleans over the Jets make him ‘soft’. 🙄

Maybe he goes wherever he likes the setup, ownership, coaches. Factoring an easier path to the playoffs is just sensible, higher chance of success. You just come across bitter BP.

If I was a player I’d prefer to play in New Orleans to be honest, nicer place, easier division, more chances of playoffs and progressing in the playoffs, less obnoxious media.

I just hope our new QB is more successful and I’ll keep an eye on Carrs situation but it seems like some people are really, really hoping he fails.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

It doesn’t really concern me now he’s not the Raiders QB but how on earth does going to New Orleans over the Jets make him ‘soft’. 🙄

Maybe he goes wherever he likes the setup, ownership, coaches. Factoring an easier path to the playoffs is just sensible, higher chance of success. You just come across bitter BP.

If I was a player I’d prefer to play in New Orleans to be honest, nicer place, easier division, more chances of playoffs and progressing in the playoffs, less obnoxious media.

I just hope our new QB is more successful and I’ll keep an eye on Carrs situation but it seems like some people are really, really hoping he fails.

I think the thing about Carr is he talks about how much of a competitor he is. This time last year he mentioned several times about how if he didn’t play for the Raiders he’d retire, only to not do that after he got cut citing that his competitive spirit is still there.  He always talked a big game like he’s a top 10 QB but in games especially in the last few seasons he’s wilted. If he wants the challenge playing in a division that’s almost as competitive as the West is the way to go, not in a division where a team with 9 loses represented the division. 

Just now, Chali21 said:

I think the thing about Carr is he talks about how much of a competitor he is. This time last year he mentioned several times about how if he didn’t play for the Raiders he’d retire, only to not do that after he got cut citing that his competitive spirit is still there.  He always talked a big game like he’s a top 10 QB but in games especially in the last few seasons he’s wilted. If he wants the challenge playing in a division that’s almost as competitive as the West is the way to go, not in a division where a team with 9 loses represented the division. 

That was in the past, what are the divisions going to be like in two, three years time? Who knows. Any player would be looking at future prospects and longevity if they had any intelligence. Surely a competitor wants to win so he’ll go to the place he has the best chance to win? Why would you purposely put yourself in a harder situation when you’re trying to earn and keep a long contract? 

You have to be smart as well as competitive and if he gets to the playoffs he’ll have a chance to match up with the cream of the crop then of course. 

• Like 1