BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

7 minutes ago, WFLukic said:

The only thing that was slower than Pete's pick was Johnson's 40 time.

His 40 was what, 4.52 I think? That's fine for a bigger guy. My issue is more with his abysmal 3 cone and inconsistent tape. All other things about him aside, his 40 is fine. Not good, but fine.

7 minutes ago, rackcs said:

His 40 was what, 4.52 I think? That's fine for a bigger guy. My issue is more with his abysmal 3 cone and inconsistent tape. All other things about him aside, his 40 is fine. Not good, but fine.

I’d agree , but I don’t think he plays big.  He was a favorite to Seoul in mock drafts, I just never saw it with him 

Just now, RedGold said:

I’d agree , but I don’t think he plays big.  He was a favorite to Seoul in mock drafts, I just never saw it with him 

I would also agree with your assessment, just saying that overall I thought his 40 was fine for his actual size.

• Like 1

I don't have "issues" with Johnson's 40 in a vacuum. Here's what I DO have issues with:

*Aside from his "green"/"raw" film such as a limited route tree with a high volume of dropped passes and the fact that he's a body catcher, the major selling point on him was that he was 6'4+ and had incredible top end speed, making him intriguing.

*We then saw him measure in below the listed and anticipated height and then proceeded to have "fine" combine numbers as opposed to "freakish" ones that were anticipated...much like Ringo was supposed to blow off the doors to the combine and was "he's a fine athlete but not a Madden Create A Player athlete" that he was billed to be.

So, the anticipated ceiling that many thought was there now isn't and you're left with the game film, which isn't all that impressive...nor is it awful.

Just my thoughts.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I don't have "issues" with Johnson's 40 in a vacuum. Here's what I DO have issues with:

*Aside from his "green"/"raw" film such as a limited route tree with a high volume of dropped passes and the fact that he's a body catcher, the major selling point on him was that he was 6'4+ and had incredible top end speed, making him intriguing.

*We then saw him measure in below the listed and anticipated height and then proceeded to have "fine" combine numbers as opposed to "freakish" ones that were anticipated...much like Ringo was supposed to blow off the doors to the combine and was "he's a fine athlete but not a Madden Create A Player athlete" that he was billed to be.

So, the anticipated ceiling that many thought was there now isn't and you're left with the game film, which isn't all that impressive...nor is it awful.

Just my thoughts.

I think that's fair. I have an early 2nd grade on him because I still think he shows some nice after the catch stuff. I think if you can get him to work on using his arms better when catching the ball and just all around get him to play a little bit "bigger," I think he's the ceiling of a mid-#1 option or good #2 option. Obviously there are a lot of guys where you can just say, oh fix their hands and they're fine. I know it's not that simple. Just saying that I think I can see how someone can view a path to his upside when watching his tape as well.

Also, he's a true X receiver body type, which there aren't a ton of in this draft. So if that's the kind of guy you're looking for, I can see why you'd go for him. Lot of short and/or skinny dudes in this draft.

4 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Also, he's a true X receiver body type, which there aren't a ton of in this draft. So if that's the kind of guy you're looking for, I can see why you'd go for him. Lot of short and/or skinny dudes in this draft.

Big reason why I liked Addison, he can play inside or outside and provide flexibility. I hope he goes to a team like the Vikings so he can feast opposite Jefferson.

11 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I think that's fair. I have an early 2nd grade on him because I still think he shows some nice after the catch stuff. I think if you can get him to work on using his arms better when catching the ball and just all around get him to play a little bit "bigger," I think he's the ceiling of a mid-#1 option or good #2 option. Obviously there are a lot of guys where you can just say, oh fix their hands and they're fine. I know it's not that simple. Just saying that I think I can see how someone can view a path to his upside when watching his tape as well.

I agree with all of that to a degree. I think it's impossible not to see the flashes of what he does after the catch (See: the UM playoff game).

I also have seen body catchers like Braylon Edwards aside from a legit awesome 2007 completely underwhelm and never learn how to use their hands to catch and play a lot smaller than their size, but he also won't go #3 overall either.

He could be the next DHop or he could be the next Kevin White...and I think he ends up in the Braylon Edwards tier with about 3-4 catches per game and averaging ~50 yards per game with some highs and lows, never really hitting that "consistent" range you'd like to see.

• Like 1