Jlash

4 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Raleigh Firebirds

1.2- Bryce Young

1.8- Jalen Carter

2.6- Quentin Johnston

4.4- Matthew Bergeron

5.13- Darius Rush

Roster analysis: It sucks and I'm rebuilding. 

I'm trying to figure out a good comp/summer blockbuster, so here goes:

Mission Impossible

tom cruise GIF

Raleigh is in complete rebuild mode, so Pete shot his shot with a very risky draft class. There's a very high degree of failure or stunning success with almost zero in between. They land the insanely off the charts short and small but potential #1 overall QB in Brynce Young, followed by one of the 2 best position players in the draft in Jalen Carter who has MAJOR red flags from an effort, shape, and off field situation over the past 4 months after being completely man handled against Ohio State...however, up until December 31st, Carter was arguably slated to go #1/#2 overall as a position player and could be an inside force for years to come.

Quentin Johnston was billed to be a 6'4 RAS freak of nature at the WR position, and came in much smaller and slower than anticipated, while still hitting good testing marks. He's a major body catcher, he has major drop issues, he plays a lot smaller than he is, he ran next to zero NFL type routes, but his potential and YAC ability is undeniable and he could figure out a way to put it all together and be the next T.O, the next Braylon Edwards, or the next Kevin White.

I like the philosophy from a standpoint of "If they all bust, who cares, I'm probably here next year anyway to draft Caleb Williams. Stay tuned for the sequel."

GIF by Giffffr

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'm trying to figure out a good comp/summer blockbuster, so here goes:

Mission Impossible

tom cruise GIF

Raleigh is in complete rebuild mode, so Pete shot his shot with a very risky draft class. There's a very high degree of failure or stunning success with almost zero in between. They land the insanely off the charts short and small but potential #1 overall QB in Brynce Young, followed by one of the 2 best position players in the draft in Jalen Carter who has MAJOR red flags from an effort, shape, and off field situation over the past 4 months after being completely man handled against Ohio State...however, up until December 31st, Carter was arguably slated to go #1/#2 overall as a position player and could be an inside force for years to come.

Quentin Johnston was billed to be a 6'4 RAS freak of nature at the WR position, and came in much smaller and slower than anticipated, while still hitting good testing marks. He's a major body catcher, he has major drop issues, he plays a lot smaller than he is, he ran next to zero NFL type routes, but his potential and YAC ability is undeniable and he could figure out a way to put it all together and be the next T.O, the next Braylon Edwards, or the next Kevin White.

I like the philosophy from a standpoint of "If they all bust, who cares, I'm probably here next year anyway to draft Caleb Williams. Stay tuned for the sequel."

GIF by Giffffr

Hell yeah. Nobody ever did great things by playing it safe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

1.9: Lukas Van Ness, Edge, Iowa
2.5: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
2.9: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
3.9: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
4.9: Marvin Mims, WR, Oklahoma
5.9: Zach Charbonnet, RB, UCLA
7.4: Henry To’Oto’o, LB, Alabama
7.9: Karl Brooks, DT, Bowling Green

Traded for David Onyemata, Derrick Nnadi, 2025 2nd

Traded away Maxx Crosby for the Zay Flowers pick (2.5)

Added Flowers and Mims to Justin Jefferson-Rondale Moore-Tyquan Thorton

Darnell Wright to RT even with Elgton Jenkins there

Ringo enters as CB6

Tombstone

tombstone-brave.gif

(You drafted Ringo after all)

Frogs came in with a relatively unorthodox plan, choosing to have major depth and talent that he feels/felt was very versatile from a scheme standpoint. LVN, while some may consider to be a reach, does have a nice ceiling as an EDGE/DT hybrid, and added some speed (albeit lack of size) to his WR corps. Flowers was a nice value pick, and even though I'm not very high on Too Too and I was disappointed with Karl Brooks's RAS numbers, both had nice production.

This draft class reminded me a bit of the ambiguity surrounding Tombstone. Is Wyatt Earp a good guy? Is he a bad guy? It really doesn't matter, he's going to do it his way, even if he leaves a wake of carnage in his path. You get the feel as though Frogs has some things up his sleeve from a scheme standpoint, and vengeance is coming...a reckoning. He may not win, but he's going to make it a showdown, OK Corral style.

tombstone GIF

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

This is funny because behind the scenes rack was really well prepared and his plan was well thought out 

I absolutely believe that. It's funny, because I think with all of us, or almost all of us, there's a method to the madness, but it's always hard to predict value and how the board is going to fall, while weighing how voters will feel about perceived needs and value.

The late run on defense was 100% the right move from a value standpoint, but I got this vibe from it:

Rex: We're gonna take the cops up on those demands they wanted.

Pip: We got a killer list goin'.

Rex: Yeah, check it out. We ask for airplay and whatever else we want, then we demand a whole bunch of weird stuff. This way we can plead insanity later.

Chazz: Where'd this come from?

Rex: Pip's idea.

Chazz: Way to go, Pip.

• Like 2

Singapore 2023 Draft

3.1 (33) Junior 14 - Brian Branch S Alabama All-American '22
3.12 (44) Senior 84 - Sam LaPorta TE Iowa  
4.11 (59) Senior 95 - Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin  
5.05 (69) Senior 30 - Sydney Brown S Illinois (TC)  
6.8 (88) SSenior 72 - Andrew Vorhees OG USC All-American '22
7.14 (110) GSenior 55 - Olusegun Oluwatimi C Michigan All-American '22

I had settled RB, LB and CB positions before the draft so really didn't look at too many of those spots. I generally draft for players that will help me out down the road. I will need a TE after this season and LaPorta was top 3 if not 2 in this class to me. I had settled on him at that selection a couple of weeks ago.

I actually though Branch would go well before the spot I took him. I was happy to give up a future pick to select a very safe bet as a prospect that can do many things. Singapore is in the mold of the Saints/Rams/49ers in that draft picks are just a commodity. I had originally been set on Sydney Brown as my first pick because I love the player and think he will do well. With JJ3 likely moving on I needed to restock that position as it is one I value greatly and use a lot of 3 S sets.

I fell in love with Benton at the Senior Bowl. I think he will actually go pretty high in the draft so was fine giving up a future pick to get him and an extra PFA pick. He was another player I would have been happy selecting at my 3.12 pick if LaPorta was gone.

Last two picks were to get some depth on the OL. Vorhees will sit for a year but love his heart after he benched with 1 leg at the Combine. The Value was just right at that spot IMO. He's also the first Super Senior I selected. It was unintentional but I drafted guys in order from youngest to oldest. I probably wouldn't draft a Super Senior before the 6th round. but we shouldn't have too many of these situations after next year. I also considered Olu Olu at this spot as well if Vorhees was gone so was happy to land this years Remington and Outland Trophy winner  with one of the last picks in the draft. Hoping he lands on the Patriots to replace David Andrews in a couple of years.

Picks for players as well.

5th - Dalvin Cook

5th - A.J. Dillon

6th/5th swap - Akhello Witherspoon (Will give him a shot coming back from injury)

Future 5th - Grady Jarrett

JOK - Sydney Brown 

Edited by SirA1

19 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm excited to see what boring blockbuster I get for this exciting haul

2.10  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

2.15  TE Dalton Kincaid

4.5  C Luke Wypier

4.10  WR Jonathan Mingo

4.15  LB Trenton Simpson

4.16  TE Luke Musgrave

5.12  QB Hendon Hooker

7.11 Edge Andre Carter II

Depth Chart

I think Simpson and Musgrave go way higher IRL than they did here.

2 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

@MWil23 

My team loaded with stars will be joined by more stars...

1.16 Joey Porter Jr., CB 

2.4 Jack Campbell, LB 

2.7 Bryan Bresee, DT 

3.7 Drew Sanders, LB 

3.13 Emmanuel Forbes, CB 

5.15 Gervon Dexter, DT 

Armageddon

giphy.gif

I went with another blockbuster "good/bad movie" that is a favorite of mine. You have to get past the absurd plot, the mediocre to poor acting from Ben Affleck throughout the film, but at the end of the day we know what we signed up for, a legendary action actor doing some of his best work in Bruce Willis. Yes, NASA has a plan. No, they don't use it because Bruce Willis convinces them it's easier to train them to be astronauts than it is to train astronauts to drill. Yes NASA listens to him. Can they land on the spot they need to drill? No, they land on an iron plate instead. Should they listen to an actual astronaut about detonating a nuc even though explosions can't happen in space? No, they didn't hit 800 meters but that's okay, Bruce Willis swears on his own life, ignoring the other 6 billion people on the planet, and that is enough...plus the giant vice grip around the astronaut's neck. Good news, they hit the depth, bad news, someone has to stay behind. So many plot holes but I'm all in, hook/line/sinker. As one of my former college teammates once asked "So, is this based on a true story?" (NOT A JOKE). No, but it is based upon Pickle's 2023 draft.  

Pickle, yours is one of the more difficult ones for me to evaluate, because it's so polarizing in so many areas. I am personally not the biggest fan of Porter Jr as he had mediocre speed and explosive metrics, but he's also super long and physical. I can also see him getting moved to S, but he's a good tackler, has good film, and we'll see if he can maintain that physical play without being flagged at the next level. I absolutely LOVE Jack Campbell, and while some may not be wild about the trade up...I believe wholeheartedly that he gets snagged a few picks later so I'm great with it.

Bresee if a hype guy with tons of raw skills that never really came together for me, and Gervon Dexter is basically a poor man's version of Bresee in that regard. As long as one of them pans out, great. Forbes was my favorite CB other than Gonzalez on film, he's just so darn small it's a concern.

That said...anyone betting against Bruce "Pickle Rick" Willis doing things his way and having them pan out half as much as he expected but getting the conclusion he promised to deliver on? I'm not!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm excited to see what boring blockbuster I get for this exciting haul

2.10  OG O'Cyrus Torrence

2.15  TE Dalton Kincaid

4.5  C Luke Wypier

4.10  WR Jonathan Mingo

4.15  LB Trenton Simpson

4.16  TE Luke Musgrave

5.12  QB Hendon Hooker

7.11 Edge Andre Carter II

Depth Chart

A League of their Own

Oh No Reaction GIF by Laff

One of my favorite movies that I just have to be in the right mindset to watch, which happens on rare occasions. What do you get when you take a talented, knowledgeable, past his prime player fall down drunk, misogynistic scout, and girls who are largely taken based upon their looks and how they look in a baseball dress? This draft class.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's full of backhanded compliments, but you have some massively redeeming qualities, such as Tom Hanks, or in this case, some dudes IRL who I think go higher than here (Musgrave, Hooker, and Kincaid).

You have some other boom/bust types like Mingo and Simpson. 

Wypler is a nice prospect and Carter had elite production but his stock is falling.

Will it all come together like the film that we still aren't sure of as far as theme goes? Is it a biopic, mockumentary, comedy, chick flick, or drama? Is it a period piece? What exactly was BCB's plan? Did he have a plan? Is it a good plan? Does he love TE and interior linemen? Does he like boom or bust skill players? Is that how the board fell? Did he spin a roulette wheel?

Angry Tom Hanks GIF by Laff

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Singapore 2023 Draft

3.1 (33) Junior 14 - Brian Branch S Alabama All-American '22
3.12 (44) Senior 84 - Sam LaPorta TE Iowa  
4.11 (59) Senior 95 - Keeanu Benton DT Wisconsin  
5.05 (69) Senior 30 - Sydney Brown S Illinois (TC)  
6.8 (88) SSenior 72 - Andrew Vorhees OG USC All-American '22
7.14 (110) GSenior 55 - Olusegun Oluwatimi C Michigan All-American '22

I had settled RB, LB and CB positions before the draft so really didn't look at too many of those spots. I generally draft for players that will help me out down the road. I will need a TE after this season and LaPorta was top 3 if not 2 in this class to me. I had settled on him at that selection a couple of weeks ago.

I actually though Branch would go well before the spot I took him. I was happy to give up a future pick to select a very safe bet as a prospect that can do many things. Singapore is in the mold of the Saints/Rams/49ers in that draft picks are just a commodity. I had originally been set on Sydney Brown as my first pick because I love the player and think he will do well. With JJ3 likely moving on I needed to restock that position as it is one I value greatly and use a lot of 3 S sets.

I fell in love with Benton at the Senior Bowl. I think he will actually go pretty high in the draft so was fine giving up a future pick to get him and an extra PFA pick. He was another player I would have been happy selecting at my 3.12 pick if LaPorta was gone.

Last two picks were to get some depth on the OL. Vorhees will sit for a year but love his heart after he benched with 1 leg at the Combine. The Value was just right at that spot IMO. He's also the first Super Senior I selected. It was unintentional but I drafted guys in order from youngest to oldest. I probably wouldn't draft a Super Senior before the 6th round. but we shouldn't have too many of these situations after next year. I also considered Olu Olu at this spot as well if Vorhees was gone so was happy to land this years Remington and Outland Trophy winner  with one of the last picks in the draft. Hoping he lands on the Patriots to replace David Andrews in a couple of years.

Picks for players as well.

5th - Dalvin Cook

5th - A.J. Dillon

6th/5th swap - Akhello Witherspoon (Will give him a shot coming back from injury)

Future 5th - Grady Jarrett

JOK - Sydney Brown 

Fight Club

brad pitt you do not talk about fight club GIF

It's one of those movies I never initially think about, but when you watch it and remember it, you're thinking to yourself "Man, I forgot how great and quotable that movie was!". Plot twists, great scenes, comedy, drama, an ending that I still have no idea what to do with or whether or not I need more closure, or even if that's the point. (It's not, I decided, and that's the point I also decided).

LaPorta, Brown, and Voorhees I think are incredible value and 3 of my favorite players at their respective positions in the draft. Voorhees is a great RS candidate that could legit become great in 2024 and beyond. I love doubling up on Brown and Branch at S, even though I'm not the biggest Branch fan, he is S#1.

The C from Michigan I can see having C and OG versatility at the next level and I think that's a good value pick.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blue said:

I think Simpson and Musgrave go way higher IRL than they did here.

If I had to guess, I'd say Torrence early round 2 

Kincaid may go a bit higher depending on how the board falls out

Wypier prob a touch lower cause of positional valuation

Mingo feels about right

Simpson is a wild card who could go higher but also wouldn't surprise me if he fell to mid third. 

Musgrave could be higher.  Depends on when the TE run starts

Hooker will likely be late first early second.  Depends on if any of the really late firsts are looking to move down or not

Carter is going to be a bit of a project but the intagibles and body type are there.  He's gonna put on weight quickly now that he doesn't have to make the Army requirements for certain things.  He feels like a Belichek type of guy with the Army background

14 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

A League of their Own

Will it all come together like the film that we still aren't sure of as far as theme goes? Is it a biopic, mockumentary, comedy, chick flick, or drama? Is it a period piece? What exactly was BCB's plan? Did he have a plan? Is it a good plan? Does he love TE and interior linemen? Does he like boom or bust skill players? Is that how the board fell? Did he spin a roulette wheel?

Angry Tom Hanks GIF by Laff

Will it all come together like the film that we still aren't sure of as far as theme goes? Themes are overrated

Is it a biopic, mockumentary, comedy, chick flick, or drama? Is it a period piece? Yes

What exactly was BCB's plan? Did he have a plan? I'm generally just a top guy on my board type

Is it a good plan? Probably not

Does he love TE and interior linemen?  Apparantly

Does he like boom or bust skill players?   Swing for the fences

Is that how the board fell? Did he spin a roulette wheel?  Why not both?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

On this very low key Friday (hopefully that continues), I will be posting synopsis on each team's draft class in "If this draft class was a movie" theme. You must tag me and post your round by round draft class, followed by a brief roster update synopsis, as I will be too lazy and/or uninformed to go digging.

• 2023 Draft Class

Pick Player Position School
1.4 Anthony Richardson QB Florida
2.12 Anton Harrison OT Oklahoma
2.16 Dawand Jones OT Ohio State
3.2 BJ Ojulari EDGE LSU
3.14 Joe Tippman C Wisconsin
4.3 Cody Mauch OG North Dakota State
4.12 Derick Hall EDGE Auburn
5.2 Jordan Battle S Alabama
5.3 Tyler Scott WR Cincinnati
6.1 Jaelyn Duncan OT Maryland
6.4 Clark Phillips III CB Utah
6.5 Tank Dell WR Houston
6.7 Jaylon Jones CB Texas A&M
7.3 Garrett Williams CB Syracuse

Roster analysis:   🤡.  I would say the goal for this offseason was to get a developmental QB,  and surround him with protection.   Direction may have been different if I felt there were WR's in this class that were true game changers.   Instead to help the young QB,  I went with protecting him.

QB:  Anthony Richardson(R)  
RB: Javonte Williams  // Kenneth Walker  // Dameon Pierce
X: George Pickens //  Allen Lazard  //  Rashod Bateman                   
Z:  Mecole Hardman  //  Tyler Scott(R)  //  Tank Dell(R)
TE: Travis Kelce  // Pat Freiermuth  // Trey McBride 
LT: Ronnie Stanley //  Anton Harrison(R)  //  Jaelyn Duncan(R)
LG: Joe Thuney / Liam Eichenberg
C Josh Myers //  Dylan Parham  //  Joe Tippman(R)
RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker // James Daniels  //  Cody Mauch(R)
RT:  Dawand Jones(R)

Defense:  31

DE:  Boogie Basham  //  Payton Turner  //  Josh Paschal
DL:   Dexter Lawrence
DL:   Foley Fatukasi  //  Greg Gaines
DE:  Joe Tryon  //  Sam Williams  //  David Ojabo  //  Dayo Odeyingbo  //  BJ Ojulari(R)  //  Derick Hall(R)
Mike:  Derrick Barnes
LB: Kwon Alexander / Damone Clark
CB:  Trent McDuffie  //  Kyler Gordon  //  Jaylon Jones(R)  
CB:  Kaiir Elam  //  Joshua Williams  //  Garrett Williams(R)
NB: Nate Hobbs //  Kenny Moore  //  Taron Johnson  //  Clark Phillips(R)
FS:  Daxton Hill  //  Bryan Cook
SS: Richie Grant  //  Kerby Joseph  //  Jordan Battle(R)  //  Nick Cross

Edited by RedGold

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Scoundrel's draft class is:

The Wolf of Wall Street

show me the money GIF

In this classic rendition of "The Rich get richer", Anchorage trades up with multiple people to grab a few highly touted prospects, adding Gonzalez to an already deep position group, making him flexible enough to trade one of his other stud corners Madden style, to then use that egregiously high draft pick on another blue chipper in 2024 and beyond.

This endless cycle will continue to feed him and his greed until inevitably the law catches up to him with the draft embargo, resulting in a predictable fall from grace, but the journey will be a wild and fun ride.

wolf of wall street GIF

I like how mine revolves all around one pick…