BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

8 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I don’t blame you. Felt like he could have done well as CB2 but then they went and got Spoon.

I think he played most of his snaps in the slot last year anyway so his role should be the same as before

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

That’s because @RedGold wanted to swing a trade for it to monopolize that 5th round next year 

I was just assuming no one had a 2024 5th besides me.   

Nah,  I try not to update stuff before my coffee has set in usually haha.

• Like 1

ERFA's left with no tenders,   twimc.

BDL Pos. Player Player Age Player Exp. Team
QB Sam Ehlinger 24 2 Berlin Blitzkrieg
QB Mike White 27 2 Cancun Kaiju
RB Kyren WIlliams 22 1 New Orleans Jazz
RB Ty Davis-Price 22 1 Anchorage Trappers
RB Tyler Badie 22 1 Anchorage Trappers
RB Zonovan Knight 21 1 Anchorage Trappers
WR Montrell Washington 23 1 Cancun Kaiju
OC Jake Hanson 25 2 Cancun Kaiju
Edge Tarron Jackson   0 New Orleans Jazz
Edge Isaiah Thomas 24 1 Singapore Sentinels
LB Jonas Griffith 25 2 Singapore Sentinels
LB Micah McFadden 23 1 Anchorage Trappers
CB Marcus Jones 24 1 Greenland Polar Bears
S JT Woods 22 1 Cuba Smugglers
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, rackcs said:

I think he played most of his snaps in the slot last year anyway so his role should be the same as before

Yeah he was supposed to be an interchangeable guy was mostly pigeonholed in the slot. Spoon is a better version of Bryant so I’m unsure what that actually means for Bryant regarding this season.

Well this is finally done, so feel free to yell at me

Annual Landing grades.  Again this is not a player eval as much as it is team/coaching fit, early playing time eval.  (early round grades were done on cell phone so forgive formatting)

1. Berlin Blitzkrieg C.J. Stroud Qb. Texans B.  Plusses is he's got a good o line, running game an no competition.  Bad news, he also doesn't have many receiving weapons with a d first head coach who's going to take the ball out of his hands.  Real life good, for here not so much

2. Raleigh Firebirds Bryce Young Qb Panthers B.  I can't give this a lower grade than stroud. It's a similar situation with a slightly more proven offensive coach but not as strong a running game or o line

3.  Hungary Hippos Will Anderson Jr.EDGE. Texava A-  Defensive head coach, instant playing time.  Will be asked to be the defebshve star. All what you want. Only thing not making it an A+ is the SF d way is rotating edges heavily

4. Seoul Dragons Anthony Richardson Qb Colts A.  I know, how is this higher than the other two.  Here's the thing, we have a coach who develops qb, a great running back to take the pressure off, and at least a promising wr in Pittman.  The OL struggled a bit last year but the talent is there. Minshew may start a handful of ganes but this was the ideal spot for Richardson if he's going to succeed

5Anchorage Trappers Christian Gonzalez CB Pats. A+. The toolsiest CB going to a team that develops toolsy CB. Slam dunk

6 Anchorage Trappers Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR. Seattle. D.   Nothing against the player but you never want your top ten wr selection starting as the third option on his Irl team

7 Gotham Gashslayers Bijan Robinson RB Falcons A. A run first team with a great o line.  Sketchy qb play will lead to some major heavy boxes or this would be an A+

8 Raleigh Firebirds Jalen Carter INT. Eagles Inc. So here's the thing. People are gushing about how he gets to play with his Georgia team mates.  Well we've seen how that worked off the field for him already. On the field it's an easy A but the personal issues will leave this a TBD

.9 Cuba Smugglers Lukas Van Ness EDGE.  C   I don't really like his fit as a 3-4 edge but I didn't like Gary as one either and the Packers made it work

10 New Orleans Jazz Tyree Wilson EDGE. B. Long term I like this fit across from Crosby. If I had any faith in McDaniels not being a bag of suck this grade would be higher

11 Gotham Gashslayers Paris Johnson Jr.OT Ohio State.  B. I'm not going to pretend to kno enough about the new Arizona staff to tell you how they develop guys. But they moved up for him and he'll start right away so two plusses

1.12 Ivory Coast Black Rhino's Jordan Addison WR Vikings.  C+. He'll be the third option on his offense with unpredictable qb situation after this year.

1.13 Berlin Blitzkrieg Devon Witherspoon CB Seahawks. A.  Seattle normally does an excellent job developing CB.  Only issue may be him becoming labeled a cover three guy

1.14 Cancun Kaiju Broderick Jones OT. Pittsburgh.  B+. Good news is Pittsburgh likes him and they move up today get him so he'll be starting early. Bad news, not a great developing tackles history for there OC

1.15 Gotham Gashslayers Myles Murphy Edge Cincinnati. C.   Likely the third or fourth edge in cincy but he does have a path to time with Hendrickson recovering and Hubbard and ossai oft injured

1.16 Greenland Polar Bears Joey Porter Jr.CB. Pittsburgh. A.  Nothing negative to say here. Starting opportunity in a location he should be cheered for and comfortable in

2.1 Berlin Blitzkrieg Deonte Banks CB Giants A-  only competition for time is Aaron Robinson.  Wish I would have seen any progress in their young corners last year or this would have been an A

2.2. Gotham Gashslayers Peter Skoronski OL Northwestern B+. He'll be starting somewhere on this line.  It's where that could matter to Gotham

2.3 Hungary Hippos Calijah Kancey int. Tampa D. Will compete with last year first round pick for playing time. I didn't see any progress with Hall last year which does not bode well for Kanceys development with this staff

2.4 Greenland Polar Bears Jack Campbell lLB Detroit A-.   He's really the perfect running mate to Malcolm Rodriguez.  They resigned Anal zone though so he may start as a two down guy

2.5 Cuba Smugglers Zay Flowers Ravens C.  This could be a home run. But it's a deep wr room, not top heavy though. I've heard that Baltimore is changing styles so who knows

2.6 Raleigh Firebirds Quentin Johnston WR. A-.  Will compete with Palmer for the number three wr spot. But with Keenan and Williams never able to stay healthy, he should get plenty of run in a pass first offense

2.7 Greenland Polar Bears Bryan Breese int A+. This team has no DT. He'll get plenty of use if he's any good

2.8 Gotham Gashslayers Nolan Smith Edge C. Short term, he will simply be a rotational rusher, but long term he'll get to watch Reddick and mimic his game so it's a good spot unless you really needed him this year

2.9 Cuba Smuggler sDarnell Wright Chicago A.  Starting RT, This team took a solid guy in Braxton Jones and developed him last year so there's some team history there as well

2.10 Rome Eternals O'Cyrus Torrence OG Buffalo A-  He's a great scheme fit, has to beat out meh starters Ryan Bates and Connor McGovern

2.11. Lancaster Werewolves Jahmyr Gibbs RB. A- Obviously Detroit loves the kid to spend such a high pick.  Unfortunately they have shown the propensity to have a td, early down vulture to the receiving back

2.12 Seoul Dragons Anton Harrison OT Jaguars B?   This is a really hard grade. Are they drafting him to be the LT long term, the short term LT with the Taylor suspension or the long term RT. If it's the first then third, then great. But moving guys from one side to the other in the middle of their rookie season I've never liked

2. 13 Berlin Blitzkrieg Darnell Washington TE Pittsburgh D+. With a young stud TE on the roster, Washington has a pretty clear ceiling as a second TE, run Blocker year one short of an injury

2.14. Cancun Kaiju Michael Mayer TE. Vegas B+. It's an easy fit to see with a TE friendly offense.  Only short term thing holding it back is they did sign multiple TE this offseason, even if they are meh, McDaniels has shown to like vets

2.15 Rome Eternals Dalton Kincaid TE. C-  It's a great scheme fit with a stud qb but he's gonna have to beat out Dawson Knox for playing time which leads to the low grade

2.16 Seoul Dragons Dawand Jones OT D+. Good news is Cleveland coaches o lineman well.  Bad news, the well coached ones leaves Jones without a starting role

3.1 Singapore SentinelsBrian Branch S Detroit B. If I had to guess, he'll start out playing more corner than safety, which is if it's what you drafted him for then great

3.2 Seoul Dragons BJ Ojulari edge Arizona A. Really not much competition to a starting gig.  Scheme fit I like as well so no complaints

3.3 Gotham Gashslayer sJohn Michael Schmitz C Giants A.  Another guy starting right away in a good scheme fit

3.4 Hungary Hippo Will Levi's QB Titans C-  Will he start, will he be third string, will it matter with no weapons and Tennessee inability too develop qb

3.5 Lancaster Werewolves Felix Anudike-Uzomah EDGE Chiefs. B it's a solid fit with a coach whose developed a lot of similar edges. Will battle Charles o for playing time

3.6 Gotham Gashslayers Cam Smith CB Dolphins C-  May open as CB 5 but dolphins have developed a couple corners last couple seasons which saves the grade from a D

3.7 Greenland Polar Bears Drew Sanders LB Broncos C. This grade can easily change.  I'm unsure how Denver plans to use him at the moment. If they switch over to 4-3 like has been in Payton past he could be a great stand up rush backer.  I don't know if I like him inside in a 3-4

3.8 Lancaster Werewolves Adetomiwa DL C-  in a 3-4 base he's stuck behind Paye and Buckner, this is another team that may transition to more 4-3 looks which would give him a better looking path

3.9 Cuba Smugglers Kelee Ringo CB Eagles  C-  Not really ideal when you're guy is battling for CB 4/5 after drafting him high

3.10  Lancaster Werewolves Steve Avil G Rams A.  If you drafted him to be a guard you have to be excited as he'll step in day one as the LG for the Rams. If you drafted him to be a C, it might become a tougher sell

3.11 Berlin Blitzkrieg Mazi Smith INT Dallas A. He should step right into a starting role in Dallas, he may come off for some pass rushers but he's gonna get the majority of snaps

3.12 Singapore Sentinels Sam LaPorta TE Lions A. No competition, replacing another Hawkeye TE.  The synergy is too good not to give this an A

3.13 Greenland Polar Bears CB Emmanuel Forbes Washington A.  My worry with Forbes was his size and he would need to be drafted by a zone heavy team. He got it and should excel as a boundary corner for the Commanders

3.14 Seoul Dragons Joe Tippman C Jets B. This would be a clear A if the Jets hadn't resigned McGovern the day before the draft.  Tippman will be in a battle for snapping to Rodgers

3.15 Ivory Coast Trappers Jalin Hyatt WR Giants A.  Man the third round picks seem like a lot of money. Giants need speed, Hyatt has speed. Should lead to opportunity

3.16 Anchorage Trappers Josh Downs WR Colts A. All he has to do is beat Isaiah Mckenzie for the starting slot job in Indy. Seems very doable

4.1 New Orleans  Jazz Tuli Tuipulotu EDGE. Chargers C+  He'll get to learn from two greats in Bosa and Mack. Unfortunately he'll need one to get hurt to see more playing time.  Fortunately one of those is named Bosa

4.2 Hungary Hippos julius Brent's CB Colts A Should have plenty of opportunities to start as one of the actual over 6 feet corners indy has in a new d system

4.3 Seoul Dragon sCody Mausch OG Bucs A.  He should step right into the the starting RG spot in Tampa. All you can ask for when drafting a guard

4.4 Raleigh Firebirds Matthew Bergeron OT D.  Only a D as I know rack wanted him to be a tackle.  He's going to be a guard in Atlanta otherwise it would be a higher grade

4.5 Rome Eternal Luke Wypler C. Browns D.  Stuck behind Pocic. Woof

4.6 Gotham Gashslayers Antonio Johnson . C.  If drafted to play safety, I don't see him doing much of it. He has a chance to see some run as a dime corner though

4.7 Cancun Kaiju Isaiah Foskey EDGE  Saints A-  Definitely has a good chance to carve out playing time.  New Orleans has shown a tendency to rotate lineman the last year or two which somewhat limits the ceiling

4.8 Lancaster Werewolves Cedric Tillman WR Browns  C.  Will be in competition with DPJ for the number two spot with Cooper as the one and Moore in the slot.  This coaching staff has shown zero ability to develop WR

4.9 Cuba Smugglers Marvin Mims WR Denver INC-  Theres been lots of rumblings of Denver moving some of their glut of WR.  If so, Mims could find a role, if not he's looking at WR 5

4.10 Rome Eternals Jonathan Mingo WR  Canrolina A  Has a path to the number one WR spot in Carolina with a rookie QB to immediately form chemistry with

4.11 Singapore Sentinels Keeanu Benton INT Pittsburgh  B+  If you drafted him to be a two down run stuffer, it's an A+ landing spot.  He's not going to see much passing down work but should get good run at the starting NT in Pittsburgh

4.12 Seoul Dragons Derick Hall EDGE Seattle C.  He's likely opening this year as the fourth pass rusher in Seattle.  However Seattle has done a decent job of developing these type of guys into solid players, albeit not stars

4.13 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Will McDonald IV EDGE Jets B-.  There's a rotational pass rushing role he could slot into but unless theres roster moves ahead, that's about all he's going to get with JFM, Lawson, and Jermaine Johnson on the depth chart

4.14 Lancaster Werewolves Keion White EDGE  Pats B  This could be a boom, or Belichek may not like him and he instantly becomes a bust who never sees the field.  You just never know with Bill and defensive lineman

4.15 Rome Eternals Trenton Simpson LB  Ravens C+  For an immediate started this doesn't look great.  However, Baltimore appears done with Queen after not picking up his fifth year option so he can learn from Roquon for a year than start next to him, immediate impact, likely a D

4.16 Rome Eternals Luke Musgrave TE Packers  A  Rags hates him which means he's likely a stud.  Green Bay is likely going with him as their starting TE which is all you can ask for

5.1 Berlin Blitzkrieg DJ Turner CB  A-  He'll be in a competition with Cam Taylor Britt for the number two spot which i think he can win.  Getting run on the first unit would be a coup for a fifth round pick

5.2 Seoul Dragons Jordan Battle S  Bengals C-  Likely the third safety in Cincinati .  The Bengals are not a heavy three safety team so he's gonna need an injury or Nick Scott regression to see playing time

5.3 Seoul Dragons Tyler Scott WR D.  The bears depth chart is a bit of an enigma right now but at best, in my opion,  he's looking at WR 4/gadget guy and could be as low as WR 6

5.4 Cancun Kaiju Ricky Stromberg C  Commanders A.  With Roullier now gone, this is an easy starter and an easy grade

5.5 Singapore Sentinels Sydney Brown S  Eagles A-  They have a lot of bodies at safety in Philadelphia but I don't think any of them are all that great which should give Brown an opportunity to start if he impresses early

5.6 Cancun Kaiju Israel Abanikanda RB C,  Unless Hall isn't ready, this is a rough spot as he'll be splitting backup touches with Michael Carter with Carter getting the third down work,  If Hall isn't ready to go, he could get some early down work

5.7 New Orleans Jazz Tyrique Stevenson CB  A-  I assume he'll be the number two corner, though I'm unsure if they prefer Kyler Gordon inside or out.  Regardless, Stevenson will be the third corner at worse here in Chicago and should have plenty of opportunities

5.8 Lancaster Werewolves Tucker Kraft TE  Packers  B   He'll be the inline TE option in two TE sets and I thinki the packers will utilize that more this year which should give him solid playing time year one as a blocker, occasional target

5.9 Cuba Smugglers Zach Charbonnet RB Seattle C  He'll have the number two job but will need a Walker injury to see more than a handful of carries a week

5.10 Anchorage Trappers Tyjae Spears RB  Titans C  See writeup directly above

5.11 New Orleans Jazz Rashee Rice WR  Chiefs INC  Your guess is as good as mine on how the Chiefs WR hierarchy plays itself out.  He could start, he could be WR 4 which will limit snaps with Kelce never leaving the field

5.12Rome Eternals Hendon Hooker QB Detroit  C-  This could be an A a year from now, but Hooker was never a year one pick anyhow.  Lions sound like they may completely red shirt him

5.13 Raleigh Firebirds Darius Rush CB  Colts B   He could be CB 2 or 4 depening on Brents and Isaiah Rodgers and how Gus Bradley likes his corners, I'd wager 2

5.14 Berlin Blitzkrieg Devon Achane RB Dolphins B  This is one of the hardest grades on the board.  Miami just throws out random backs random weeks and you never know when it'll be your guys' turn. But he's got potential in this offense

5.15 Greenland Polar Bears Gervon Dexter Sr. INT Chicago B  I don't think he'll get a lot of run early in the year, but once Chicago falls out of it, they'll like rotate him in more with Billings and Jones not being long term solutions at DT

5.16 Lancaster Werewolves Kyu Blu Kelly CB Ravens D   Baltimore doesn't like to start rookie corners and worse, they struggle in developing corners in general that aren't high picks

6.1 Seoul Dragons Jaelyn Duncan OT Titans  A.  The Titans o line depth chart is a bit of a who knows situation which leaves Duncan an oppurtunity to get in somewhere if he impresses early.  All you can ask for a sixth round pick is a shot at starting

6.2 Lancaster Werewolves Ji'ayir Brown S, 49ers B+  Opens as the thrid safety but San Fran does use a lot of three safety nickel so he'll likely see solid rookie run

6.3 Hungary Hippos Quan Martin S  A  Likely to start the year as the nickel corner in Washington.  If you drafted him to be a pure safety, I don't know how much run he'll get there initially, but he'll be seeing the field

6.4 Seoul Dragons Clark Phillips III CB, Atlanta A-  Likely to be a starter in the nickel if he can beat out Mike Hughes.  Good scheme fit

6.5 Seoul Dragons Tank Dell WR  Texans C+   Bobby Trees is made of glass so I imagine he'll be starting at some point this year but he'll begin the year as WR 4 in a heavy run oriented offense

6.6 Berlin Blitzkrieg JL Skinner S  Broncos  D  He'll be starting the year as the third safety at best, and depending on how Denver uses Jackson, the fourth safety.  Sterns and Simmons are both younger so that's not a clear path to a ton of time here without injuries

6.7Seoul Dragons Jaylon Jones CB Colts C-  Was the third rookie corner drafted by indy so he'll need to outplay both of them to see any time outside of special teams

6.8 Singapore Sentinels Andrew Vorhees OG   N/A  Didn't matter, out for the year so no year one impact landing grade

6.9 Anchorage Trappers Roschon Johnson RB  Bears  C.  This one can really vary.  Chicago has Herbert and brought in Foreman so he could easily not see a ton of time, but I also think he's more talented than either of them so theres a chance we see a lot of him if Chicago falls out of it or an injury occurs

6.10 Lancaster Werewolves Zacch Pickens INT  Bears B+.  He's pretty much in the same boat as Dexter from last round but was taken here a round later so a slightly higher grade

6.11 Camden Hood Rats Tyler Steen OT Philadelphia D+  Best news is Philly develops lineman well.  The bad news is theres really not a path to year one playing time unless Jurgens falls on his face.  Drafted as a tackle, I don't see him having a chance to play there this season

6.12 Anchorage Trappers Kendre Miller RB Saints C-  From a year one standpoint, unless they trade Kamara, he's a third back.  If they do, he'll be the 3rd down option with Jamaal Williams getting early down work

6.13 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Brenton Strange TE  Jags  B/  Being the backup to Evan Engram has generally led to good playing time over the years, 

6.14 Hungary Hippos Blake Freeland OT  Colts C.  This really all depends on how you feel about Raimann.  I saw massive  growth last year which would leave Freeland a backup.  However if you don't like Raimann, Freeland has no competition at backup Tackle to be next man up

6.15 New Orleans Jazz Daiyan Henley LB Chargers B  He's the third LB in LA with the signing of Eric Kendricks but theres not a lot of other options in that room if an injury pops up, he'll be in

6.16 Berlin Blitzkrieg Siaki IkaI NT Cleveland C-  He'll be a rotational guy on short yardage but mainly will be the backup for Tomlinson.  The Browns inability to develop anything in the middle the last couple of seasons brings the grade down on a rotational player

7.1 Berlin Blitzkrieg Zach Harrison EDGE Falcons C+  He's probably the fourth rusher right now but Lorenzo Carter?  meh.  Bud Dupree?  Meh.  Theres a chance he climbs the depth chart

7.2 Cancun Kaiju Noah Sewel lLB Chicago  D-  Unfortunately he's a fourth LB special teamer to start his career.  Edmunds and Edwards aren't going anywhere either and Sanborn looked great for Chicago last year

7.3Seoul Dragons Garrett Williams CB Arizona  A  The cardinals corner depth chart is trash so he could see major run early in the season

7.4 Cuba Smugglers Henry To'o To'o  LB Texans C  There's a lot of veteran LB's on this team but I would imagine Ryans sees a lot of himself with this kid which saves the grade

7.5 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Jaquelin Roy INT Minnesota B  Will likely be a rotational fat guy here.  But with Tonga also in town, it'll be short yardage only to start. Minnesota doesn't have a bunch of interior size outside those two though so his job is pretty safe

7.6 Hungary Hippos Bryce Ford-Wheaton WR  Giants F  When you're undrafted and the team has 7-8 other options, you're practice squad fodder

7.7 Camden Hood Rats Zach Evans RB Rams A  Cam Akers hasn't been the epitome of health and this backfield doesn't have much else going for it so he can definitely see some run

7.8 Berlin Blitzkrieg Kayshon Boutte WR Patriots  D  WR 5 on a run heavy team with a limited QB and a coach that doesn't like to start rookies at WR

7.9Cuba Smugglers Karl Brooks INT Green Bay  C-  From a scheme fit, it's perfect.  Unfortunately he's probably DE 4 for green bay with a rookie this year and a second year player in front of him

7.10 Hungary Hippos Zack Kuntz TE  Jets D.  He's going to be a developmental guy so he's in the right place for that.  However the Jets have a pretty good TE group so not much impact year one

7.11 Rome Eternals Andre Carter IIEDGE  Vikings F  When you're undrafted and the team has 6-7 other options, you're practice squad fodder

7.12 Anchorage Trappers A.T. Perry WR Saints A-  Likely opens up the year as WR 4 in New Orleans with a chance to start once Thomas gets hurt again or gets moved

7.13 Ivory Coast Black Rhinos Keondre CoburnI NT Chiefs  C  Can see him getting some early run but he's not the type of player Spags normally uses a lot

7.14 Singapore Sentinels Olusegun Oluwatimi c  Seattle B+  They drafted him early so they must like them and all he has to do is beat out Evan Brown

7.15 Gotham Gashslayers Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB Rams  B+  All i know is that if you were drafted by the Rams on defense you have a chance to play.  I'm not gonna pretend to know that depth chart

7.16 Camden Hood Rats Trey Palmer WR B  The fourth WR on a Baker Mayfield led offense is not where you want to be.  But the three vets in front of him all battled injuries last year and it will only take one of them going out for him to get run

• Like 6