BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

25 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

This is like the third bid of you two going back and forth between 2 and 3 year deals. You want a cheaper salary and MD4L wants less years. My suggestion is quit nickel and diming and make a serious bid.

LVE contract has been doing the same thing.

Its not a perfect system but is what we have. 

One solution for the owners meeting would be to remove 2 year deals entirely. It would cut back on this back and forth. So your only options are 3,4,5 year deals.

A 3 year deal still give you a 1-2 year 3 down for the following year.

The solve for this is really simple. Beat the bid how you normally would with the added 250, 500, 1000 whatever, then do the conversion after.  Been saying this for years

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

The solve for this is really simple. Beat the bid how you normally would with the added 250, 500, 1000 whatever, then do the conversion after.  Been saying this for years

I was thinking about this which would also work. That’s what Pete did in this instance and the player got more money and an additional year so it would be clear.

I’d actually be comfortable doing this moving forward when it’s a year vs salary situation.

1 minute ago, MD4L said:

I was thinking about this which would also work. That’s what Pete did in this instance and the player got more money and an additional year so it would be clear.

I’d actually be comfortable doing this moving forward when it’s a year vs salary situation.

I’d be nice if it was just straight consistent. Either total contract $ wins or yearly $ wins. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MD4L said:

For clarity purposes, wouldn’t that mean Pete’s next offer at 3 years would have to be $9084 total? Because that is 85% of the prior leading offer, $4910 total.

it was 85% of the salary (yearly amount) so $2,455.  Or $2,087 to add to the total contract size.

He went from $4,910 to $7500 so an increase of $2,590.

It's all good.

People still get tripped up over Contract versus Salary.

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

it was 85% of the salary (yearly amount) so $2,455.  Or $2,087 to add to the total contract size.

He went from $4,910 to $7500 so an increase of $2,590.

It's all good.

People still get tripped up over Contract versus Salary.

Ok thanks, that clears up so much. Knew it was valid in any event bc the year salary increase. Moving forward we should update this so people understand both numbers reflect yearly numbers

On 6/4/2023 at 9:50 PM, SirA1 said:

• For every extra year added you must add at least 85% of the leading bids salary to the total contract size. 
  • For every year decreased in a offer in free agency, you must increase the yearly salary by 5%.

I would reword the top part to For every extra year added you must add at least 85% of the yearly  salary to the total contract size. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

I meant to post about this on Monday but work was a beast. We can go about it one of two ways. Either your initial bid is valid and for the purposes of FA this week that is just where the bidding starts or your initial bid was made invalid by him signing a new contract on Monday and in that case there would be no current bids.

I am inclined to go with the former.

2 hours ago, SirA1 said:

It sounds like you just want to abuse the situation to your advantage. Or at least that is how this is coming across. We should probably add a rule that no new NFL contracts that are signed the week of BDL free agency are in effect until after free agency.

In the case of your 5th year option example it it the owners choice on whether to keep the player on a 5th year and then 3 up the following year or to match any new contract and save the 3 up for next year. Always has been.

I'm actually fully in agreement with Lukic here. It makes no sense for us to go "this guy signed a new contract after you made your offer, so your initial offer is invalid." That's outside our control. No contract signed after a player has received an initial offer should matter.

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm actually fully in agreement with Lukic here. It makes no sense for us to go "this guy signed a new contract after you made your offer, so your initial offer is invalid." That's outside our control. No contract signed after a player has received an initial offer should matter.

Lukic is saying that the next bid should have had to be $3500 based on the contract. So you’re fully in agreement with that?

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

No, I think I misread the exchange then.

Yeah he wanted to basically punish the next bidder based off of the new contract. 

I solved the issue. I am fine with Floyd taking the Melvin Ingram spot on my roster this season.

• Like 3