BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

2 minutes ago, Pickle Rick said:

Well **** lol.  Hard to do on the beach I guess. Looks like whatever I looked at was his 2nd contract not current.  I'll see if I can fix it 

Yeah when you click on it it brings you right to last contract and then you have to scroll up to get to the current one. I can see how that can throw you off 

• Like 1

Everyone can enjoy a nice quite evening. The next bid doesn't mature until 430am on Sat.

Any final new initial bids must be in before Midnight tonight. I've had to stop myself and just trust in the Shark Tank at this point. Love all my additions though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

I’d need to see the situations tbh considering Denver has more or less been lousy the last 2 years and there’s a good chance teams are running the ball a lot to grind out wins.

Raleigh starting defense at the end of Defensive FA

DE Danielle Hunter (MIN)
DT BJ Hill (CIN)
DT Jalen Carter (PHI)
DE Josh Sweat (PHI)
Rush LB Tyus Bowser (BAL)
MLB Quay Walker (GB)
OLB Shaq Leonard (IND)
CB Darius Slay (PHI)
CB Sean Murphy Bunting (TEN)
Slot CB Avonte Maddox (PHI) 
FS Justin Reid (KC) 
SS Budda Baker (ARI)

a couple areas I may look to upgrade in the tank but I feel pretty good about this group 

Singapore Defence after FA with depth across the board.

Now just to get the OL up to match this beast.

DE - Zach Allen, Arik Armstead, Charles Omenihu

NT - D.J. Jones, Keeanu Benton

DT - Grady Jarrett, Milton Williams

OLB - Uchenna Nwosu, Azeez Ojulari, Arden Key, Leonard Floyd, Lorenzo Carter,  D.J. Johnson

ILB - Dre Greenlaw, Kaden Elliss, Ja'Whuan Bentley

CB1 - Mooney Ward, Damari Mathis

CB2 - Kendall Fuller, Levi Wallace

CB3 - Isaiah Oliver, Desmond King

FS - Adrian Philips, Brian Branch, Sydney Brown

SS - Ryan Neal, Terrell Edmunds, Jabril Peppers

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I’d need to see the situations tbh considering Denver has more or less been lousy the last 2 years and there’s a good chance teams are running the ball a lot to grind out wins.

That’s fair they also lost 9 of 12 games by one score or less. Kids still a stud no matter how you look at it.

• Like 1

Coming into the offseason, I didn't feel like we needed to do much on defense. In fact, I mainly just wanted to bring back our own guys. So, that's pretty much what we tried to do.

At edge rusher, we obviously had two quality starters in Kayvon Thibodeaux and Greg Rousseau already. However, with Thibs' injury history and Rousseau's positional flexibility, we wanted to add depth as well. Isaiah Foskey was a guy Mwil and I both really liked coming into the draft, and when he fell to the point we could reasonably get him, we had to get him. In free agency, we considered 3 Upping Cam Jordan and decided we could save money by offering him less in FA, which turned out to be completely correct. We had several fallback options, including Haason Reddick and Josh Sweat, but Jordan was the top preference because of his inside-out and scheme versatility. He lets us move Rousseau into a super sub role where he can play at both edge spots and inside at times to provide additional pass rush, just as he does with the Bills. Dorance Armstrong fills out our depth chart as veteran insurance for Foskey, and with another year in Dan Quinn's scheme where he's racked up 13.5 sacks over the last two years, I feel good about having him as an Edge4-5 guy for the price.

Defensive tackle had virtually no depth and nose tackle in particular is a spot we knew we wanted an upgrade over Tim Settle. I have faith in Travis Jones to beat out Michael Pierce/Broderick Washington, and it's not like Justin Madubuike has dominated the league, but we needed a vet to compete with him next to Jon Allen. Missing out on DJ Reader, our No. 1 FA target, hurt. Justin Jones is...well, he's gonna start for Chicago. This is an area where we will have to pick up somebody very cheaply in Shark Tank to grab some running down snaps. Otherwise, we'll have plenty of Greg Rousseau and/or Cam Jordan inside on passing downs and no one player is going to take more than 30% or so of the snaps there, so it's not like we NEEDED a big name.

Linebacker is set with Pete Werner showing Pro Bowl or better ability, but I wanted to bring in competition for Ernest Jones by returning Kaden Elliss. Elliss would have been a tougher run defender with more pass rush juice that could have given us some fun blitzing options that Jones hasn't really shown a lot of so far, and it would have been fun to see who won that (imaginary) camp battle. Again, that didn't happen and our other (purely) backup option in David Long got bid up pretty late into his opening bid. Brandon Smith is likely ILB3 in Carolina's 3-4 scheme, so this is another spot we need to get a cheap backup. We do have two really athletic, pass-oriented backers who fit with what we want to do up front, however, so it's not a priority at all.

Cornerback, specifically CB2, was our biggest question mark and looking at the market, I wanted to make sure we had a vet option and 3 Upped Steven Nelson on that basis. I originally expected to either sit pat entirely or sign Xavien Howard in free agency, but when the corner market didn't materialize at all outside of some bidding on Rasul Douglas, we went for the cheaper and younger option of Cam Sutton. Nobody thinks Sutton is going to make an All-Pro team, but between him, Nelson, and Jack Jones, we figure at least one will have a strong season. We have three second-year corners who could all be CB2/3 for their IRL teams, it'll be good to see how that shakes out. And frankly, we only plan on using two corners in our defense 75% of the time anyways.

That's because our safety group is the best in the league, by a pretty wide margin. Byard is a two-time All-Pro, Marcus Wiliams is a ballhawk, and Jalen Pitre is a future Pro Bowler. We expect to start all three in base defense, with the size/athleticism of all three allowing us to use them interchangeably with each other and at free/strong. We did pick up Darnell Savage as deep depth and as a long-term upside option. He's unlikely to actually see the field for us this year, but if he does, it's either because of injuries or because he's playing so well we can afford to move on from someone else. I wanted him on a two-year deal because that gives me time to see how he does in the final season of his Green Bay contract, then evaluate him outside of Joe Barry's defense if it doesn't work out this year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

That’s fair they also lost 9 of 12 games by one score or less. Kids still a stud no matter how you look at it.

No doubt. Not knocking him so much as saying that I personally believe that’s a ridiculous statistic that has zero value or context either way. It’s very flawed and doesn’t take much into account situationally.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

No doubt. Not knocking him so much as saying that I personally believe that’s a ridiculous statistic that has zero value or context either way. It’s very flawed and doesn’t take much into account situationally.

No statistic or title even really matters other than the fact he’s a BDL Champion…