BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

Nobody thinks Sutton is going to make an All-Pro team,

I like Sutton a lot. But I was looking for a bigger corner so as long as Douglas was cheaper I prefered Rasul. Had Pete gone higher on Douglas, I'd probably have gone after Sutton

I guess I'll play since most probably questioned why I didn't add an Edge in FA.  

DE:   Dayo Odeyingbo / David Ojabo / Boogie Basham / Payton Turner / Josh Paschall
DT:  Dexter Lawrence / Foley Fatukasi / Bobby Brown
NT: DJ Reader / Greg Gaines / Khalen Saunders
Edge: Joe Tryon / Sam Williams / BJ Ojulari / Derick Hall

All but Foley Fatukasi will will be under contract for 2024,  with a couple RFA's.  Bobby Brown is a possible Sub 500 cut, but he should finally get a real opportunity for PT alongside Donald this season.    Will likely still look to add an Edge and DT in Shark, but committing more roster spots to 2024 wasn't something I wanted to do,    Excited to see what Sam Williams/Ojulari/Hall bring this year.    Still very high on Odeyingbo,  now 2 years recovered from the Achilles.

LB:                           /  Derrick Barnes
LB:  Damone Clark / Kwon Alexander

Again all these guys are under contract for 2024.   Barnes is likely a sub 500 cut.   If Roquan hit the market,  he was likely my top target in FA.   I'm comfortable with Damone and Kwon as 2nd/3rd guys,  but really lacking a top guy at Mike.   I didn't like any of the FA's enough to commit to them for multiple years.  

CB: McDuffie /  Garret Williams / Jaylon Jones 
CB: Elam / Joshua Williams 
SB:  Nate Hobbs / Kyler Gordon / Kenny Moore / Taron Johnson / Clark Phillips

I actually really like this group,    I will likely try to add a better 3rd guy on the boundary in Shark.  But even in the case I do not,  Hobbs/Gordon both have some flexibility.   I will be hoping for continued progression on my 2nd year guys.   All but Kenny Moore are under contract for 2024, or a RFA.     Jaylon Jones and Joshua Williams will have to step up if they want a roster spot next year and Taron Johnson could be a cap saving cut next year  if Phillips plays as well as I think.  

FS:  Daxton Hill /  Bryan Cook
SS:  Richie Grant / Kerby Joseph / Jordan Battle / Nick Cross

Obviously love this group.   Daxton and Cook should be in position for a massive jump in PT,   The top 4 are extremely versatile and allow me some flexibility on the back end.    Obviously all  are under contract from 2024 and on,   be interested to see what Cross does this year.   

Under contract 2024 -  27
RFA's  2024 -  4
FA's - 2.    

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RedGold said:

I guess I'll play since most probably questioned why I didn't add an Edge in FA.  

DE:   Dayo Odeyingbo / David Ojabo / Boogie Basham / Payton Turner / Josh Paschall
DT:  Dexter Lawrence / Foley Fatukasi / Bobby Brown
NT: DJ Reader / Greg Gaines / Khalen Saunders
Edge: Joe Tryon / Sam Williams / BJ Ojulari / Derick Hall

All but Foley Fatukasi will will be under contract for 2024,  with a couple RFA's.  Bobby Brown is a possible Sub 500 cut, but he should finally get a real opportunity for PT alongside Donald this season.    Will likely still look to add an Edge and DT in Shark, but committing more roster spots to 2024 wasn't something I wanted to do,    Excited to see what Sam Williams/Ojulari/Hall bring this year.    Still very high on Odeyingbo,  now 2 years recovered from the Achilles.

Again all these guys are under contract for 2024.   Barnes is likely a sub 500 cut.   If Roquan hit the market,  he was likely my top target in FA.   I'm comfortable with Damone and Kwon as 2nd/3rd guys,  but really lacking a top guy at Mike.   I didn't like any of the FA's enough to commit to them for multiple years.  

CB: McDuffie /  Garret Williams / Jaylon Jones 
CB: Elam / Joshua Williams 
SB:  Nate Hobbs / Kyler Gordon / Kenny Moore / Taron Johnson / Clark Phillips

I actually really like this group,    I will likely try to add a better 3rd guy on the boundary in Shark.  But even in the case I do not,  Hobbs/Gordon both have some flexibility.   I will be hoping for continued progression on my 2nd year guys.   All but Kenny Moore are under contract for 2024, or a RFA.     Jaylon Jones and Joshua Williams will have to step up if they want a roster spot next year and Taron Johnson could be a cap saving cut next year  if Phillips plays as well as I think.  

FS:  Daxton Hill /  Bryan Cook
SS:  Richie Grant / Kerby Joseph / Jordan Battle / Nick Cross

Obviously love this group.   Daxton and Cook should be in position for a massive jump in PT,   The top 4 are extremely versatile and allow me some flexibility on the back end.    Obviously all  are under contract from 2024 and on,   be interested to see what Cross does this year.   

Under contract 2024 -  27
RFA's  2024 -  4
FA's - 2.    

Imagine looking at that EDGE group, $61k in cap space and seeing 16 sack  Reddick and just being like “Nah” 😂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedGold said:

You know Kwon isn't on a team and is coming off an ACL tear, right misread a blurb on him

Edited by Blue

M.Sweat (Ngakoue, Granderson) - Donald (Odighizuwa) - Robinson (Gallimore) - J.Allen (Uche)

David (Dean) - Luvu (Deablo/Morrow)

Snead (X)                                           Samuel Jr. (X)                                                         Douglas (X)

Hooker (Epps)                                   Brisker (X)

Still need some work in Shark Tank, especially on the DB side, but pretty happy with the state of our defense.

• Like 1

Raleigh Defensive Free Agency Review

With likely starting a rookie QB and not being a serious playoff contender, Raleigh's keys on who target in free agency comes down to 2 things 1) age 2) production upside

I am looking for players that not only may help me improve this year but locking in young players that I think will be hitting their stride more in 2024 and beyond.

Josh Sweat EDGE (age 26)

Sweat has gotten better every year he has been in the league, truly breaking out last year with 11 sacks in 2023. With Graham likely in his last year and Reddick being 28 and the Eagles investing in a very Hasson Reddick like player in Nolan Smith, I think the Eagles view Sweat and Smith as their EDGE duo for years to come. I expect him to get another sizable contract from the Eagles making this contract look even more like a discount at the end of it. With Hunter, Graham and Ekuban hitting BDL FA next year, I feel like I am adding a player to build around in Sweat.

Justin Reid S (age 26) 

Reid showed flashes of great play with the Texans, but the up and down nature and lack of stability of that team didn't allow Reid to be as consistent. Last year the Chiefs elected to move on from the Honey Badger in favor of Reid and then moved on from Thornhill this year. Reid was good but unspectacular with the Chiefs in 2022 but with now a full year in the system under his belt, I am betting on Reid taking a jump in 2023 and possibly giving me a great Safety duo with him and Budda.

Sean Murphy Bunting CB (age 25) 

Another player that has show flashes but has lacked consistency over the first act of his career. SMB signed a one year prove it deal with Tennessee and I am betting on him proving it and me having him at a major discount for the next several seasons.

Bryce Hall CB (age 25)

I look at Hall the same way I sort of see how Rasul Douglas's time in Philly went down. He came out of the gate hot and showed major upside and then fell out of favor with the coaching staff. Eventually his talent won out and he was able to revive his career into a good starting CB. Throwing Hall on the end of my bench at minimum salary and seeing if that scenario like that plays out is worth the gamble.

• Like 2

Really happy with the state of our defense right now. Adding David Onyemata and CJ Henderson were moves prior to FA that can help our defense. Onyemata helps our front 4 from an interior rush standpoint and Henderson is a solid depth player who can start if injuries arise.

Happy to add Vander Esch into the picture too. Stout run defender with plus size and has some cover savy to his game. He’s overcome those early injury concerns and at the very least buys time for our younger players to show us they belong on the field.

Obviously, the big signing for us is Gardner Johnson. He’s scheme flexible and starts at safety but we’ll continue to make some adjustments in the back seven in case we’re better suited with him in the slot. We’ve needed a single high safety for the longest and though that’s not his primary role based on last seasons film, we’re going to give him that opportunity and work to adjust if needed.

Lastly, regarding the pass rush, Gary coming back is undoubtedly important. He found his stride last season and was on pace to be among the league leaders before his injury. We are going to extend him for sure. We are going to add more to that position come the tank but we’re also buying time to see what Van Ness can contribute. Ideally he can make his way to the lineup but we’re going to move him across the DL. Some good guys available though seeing Reddick and Landry go is a disappointment for us. 

Edge: Rashan Gary, Janarious Robinson, Isaiah McGuire
DT: Zach Sieler, Derrick Nnadi
DT: David Onyemata, Karl Brooks
Edge: Rashad Weaver, Lukas Van Ness
LB: Leighton Vander EschChanning Tindall, Henry To'oto'o, Dorian Williams
CB: Denzel Ward, Martin Emerson, Alontae Taylor, CJ Henderson, Kelee Ringo
FS: Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, JT Woods
SS: Derwin James, Brandon Stephens
CB: Kadar Kohou, Coby Bryant

• Like 1

DE: Nick Bosa
DT: Jeffery Simmons
DT: Christian Wilkins
DE: Za'Darius Smith
LB: DeMario Davis
LB: Josey Jewell
CB: Stephon Gilmore
CB: James Bradberry
CB: Mike Hilton
S: Julian Love
S: Tyrann Mathieu

Starting defense is basically done.

In a division with Mahomes, being able to generate pressure with only four rushing is going to be essential to our success. 

The back end of the defense is also loaded with vets. With a defensive line that will be generating pressure and giving QBs a hard time, having experienced players will reduce the risk of mental errors and blown coverages and essentially turn it into a my DL v the opponent's OL match which I figure to win.

Depth is very youth and prospect heavy which is how I like it. I'm not counting on a single rookie, let alone a player on their rookie contract. So if any of them ball out, it's a bonus and puts us in a stronger place for 2024 and going forward.

• Like 1

Post FA defense

RE- Haason Reddick, Alex Highsmith, James Houston lV, Jonathan Greenard
UT- Ed Oliver, Jarran Reed, Thomas Booker
NT- Vita Vea, Jordan Davis 
LE- Aidan Hutchinson, Sam Hubbard, AJ Epenesa
WILB- Micah Parsons, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah
SILB- Isaiah Simmons, David Long Jr, Kenneth Murray Jr
CB- Jaylon Johnson, Derek Stingley Jr, Paulson Adebo
CB- Patrick Surtain ll, Marco Wilson
Nickel- Jaycee Horn, Christian Gonzalez 
S- Talanoa Hufanga, Caden Sterns