BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

Last defensive positional rankings and then I'll do overall defense tomorrow. I'll start working on offense once the essentials free agency pictures come into view.

S

1. Cancun- Kevin Byard, Marcus Williams, Darnell Savage, Jalen Pitre 

This was a tough number 1 to pick, but it came down to the fact that Cancun has 2 elite starters and an up and comer as a 3rd in Pitre

1. Anchorage- Jesse Bates, Kam Curl, Caden Sterns, Percy Butler, Talanona Tufanga 

An argument can be made for them to be one but I’d take Byard and Williams over Bates and Tufanga

1. Baltimore- Xavier Woods, Xavier McKinney, Jevon Holland, Jeremy Chinn, Tre Norwood

If all these players play their best there is an argument for this group to be 1, but I comfortably put them 3rd now.

1. Greenland- Justin Simmons, Jamal Adams, Quandre Diggs, Jordan Poyer

Simmons is elite, Diggs is a feast or famine type of player. Both Poyer and Adams are still good but their best days are probably behind them.

1. Cuba- Derwin James, Chauncy Gardner Johnson, JT Woods

Derwin is elite. CGJ turns over the ball but is a liability in run defense, however is a still a really good safety. This group needs depth.

1. Raleigh- Budda Baker, Justin Reid, Julian Blackmon, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Reed Blankenship 

Budda is an elite safety and Reid is a good complimentary partner for him. Blackmon and Blankenship are both functional reserve players for me.

1. New Orleans- Tyrann Matthieu, Taylor Rapp, Julian Love, Adrian Amos

4 rock solid guys but I don’t think Matthieu is an elite player anymore, so I don’t think they quite match up with the teams above them.

1. Berlin- Juan Thornhill, Antoine Winfield Jr, Camryn Bynum, JL Skinner, Jammie Robinson

Winfield is an excellent player, Thornhill is ok and but everyone else behind them is a projection.

1. Lancaster- Minkah Fitzpatrick, Darrick Forrest, Ji’Ayair Brown

Minkah is a beast and Darrick was a breakout player of sorts last year. There is nothing behind them though.

1. Rome- Kyle Hamilton, Grant Delpit, Isaiah Rodgers, Andre Cisco

I like the trio of Hamilton, Delpit and Cisco but I don’t think they have proven enough to be higher on the list.

1. Camden- Malik Hooker, Jaquan Brisker, Marcus Epps

Brisker is a riser as a safety. Hooker and Epps are nice players but I wouldn’t call either of them BDL starters.

1. Singapore- Adrian Phillips, John Johnson, Jabrill Peppers, Brian Branch, Terrell Edmunds, Sydney Brown, Ryan Neal, Tycen Anderson

There is good depth here but nobody that I would love starting on a weekly basis.

1. Ivory Coast- Jordan Fuller, Lewis Cine, Kyle Dugger, Ashtyn Davis

Dugger is a good starter but I don’t love anything else they have.

1. Gotham- Micah Hyde, Trevon Moehrig, Antonio Johnson, Dane Belton, Richard LeCounte

Micah Hyde is a good but not great player Moehrig hasn’t lived up the draft buzz and then there is nothing.

1. Seoul- Dax Hill, Bryan Cook, Richie Grant, Jordan Battle, Nick Cross, Kerby Joseph

Just like almost their entire defense, another group filled with youth and depth that needs a player or two to emerge to be any higher on the list.

1. Hungary- Harrison Smith, Chuck Clark, Jatavious Martin

Harrison Smith is on his last legs as a starting safety. Chuck Clark is already lost for the season and then there is just rookie Quan Martin after that.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/06/browns-depth-chart-week-1-mayfield-baker-panthers/

Woods is a nickel/big nickel guy, so yeah, if you look at snap counts their 3 corners are all essentially going to be starters.

Week 2, the Browns saw mostly 3-4 WR sets vs the Jets.

Yeah this makes more sense from a broad perspective. Cleveland played JOK and Walker over 60% of snaps. Looks like Jacob Phillips and Takitaki 30 snaps in total. 

Just now, MWil23 said:

You should read through why so many Cleveland fans wanted Woods out. He had 3 elite man corners drafted in Ward, Newsome, and Greedy and ran deep cover 3 with zero blitzing or presnap creativity and took Delpit as a box hybrid S and made him a worthless free safety and took an apex drafted JOK and made him a SAM and box linebacker. Dude was awful.

Yeah, it makes sense. It got Emerson on the field though.

Like the Schwartz hire a lot. Not sure he was man cover friendly in Detroit. Ward could have a case to be the most skilled CB he’s  coached.

Yay upper echelon in something!

Great work, either way @EaglesPeteC. It’s generally subjective when you’re doing rankings and our collective talent in this league makes proven production more important than the NFL.

I’d also add Ryan Neal was a guy PFF loved. The Commanders apparently had elite safety play last season.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/04/browns-defense-cover-3-press-bail-or-seattle-cover-3/

Good read on his scheme from 2020-2022. Press bail 3 or Seattle 3. 

Emerson is a pretty big CB whereas Newsome has good length but wasn’t a highly touted run defender coming out. Same applies with Ward. Two of those three are man cover friendly, so I can see why Woods would’ve gravitated to making Emerson a big piece in his defense. 

Also would’ve affected JJ3 as he’s at his best imo when you give him free rein to play centerfield. And those pure CF safety types are actually pretty hard to find.

3 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Yeah this makes more sense from a broad perspective. Cleveland played JOK and Walker over 60% of snaps. Looks like Jacob Phillips and Takitaki 30 snaps in total. 

Yeah, it makes sense. It got Emerson on the field though.

Like the Schwartz hire a lot. Not sure he was man cover friendly in Detroit. Ward could have a case to be the most skilled CB he’s  coached.

I’m not anti-zone at all, but the philosophical disconnect is something else. You take 3 blue chip CBS and run soft zone without a true FS, you neuter JJ3 because he was a split safety in LA and then not that here, and you draft JOK to be an apex only guy and then neuter him in the box.

I don’t even mind Emerson starting/playing as much because the kid can flat play, but when you play zone and don’t blitz or stunt that’s laughable, not to me that they were literally a fit short on the backside vs ZBS or frontside with any +1 play.

I think being gap sound with Schwartz will instantly improve their front 7 and then hopefully they play more man/match concepts.

JOK should be an apex/S hybrid, not apex/LB.

Delpit should be a S/nickel LB hybrid, not a FS.

Newsome should be the starting CB and then kick to the slot vs 3 or 4 WR packages with Emerson on the outside and Ward always on the field.

Thornhill will be an improvement at the other S spot.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Emerson is a pretty big CB whereas Newsome has good length but wasn’t a highly touted run defender coming out. Same applies with Ward. Two of those three are man cover friendly, so I can see why Woods would’ve gravitated to making Emerson a big piece in his defense. 

Yes but both Newsome and Ward were rated as good tackling corners. The issue is that when you don’t have your DE or apex as your edge setter, that’s a giant schematic hole that falls to your S and maybe CB.

2 minutes ago, MD4L said:

Also would’ve affected JJ3 as he’s at his best imo when you give him free rein to play centerfield. And those pure CF safety types are actually pretty hard to find.

I just touched on this a bit. And IMO, it’s why Cover 3 straight up is dying unless you can get pressure with your front 7, which means stunts and blitzes and varied presnap looks. You need to vary man under, robber, and rotations presnap with varied pressure packages that also bluff some. He did none of those things in 3 years despite having arguably the best edge rusher in the game.

Seattle 3 worked in large part because of how great that front 7 was with dudes like Wagner, Bennett, and their hybrid S/linebacker Chancellor. Yeah that secondary was unreal but that front 7 was no joke either.

• Like 1