BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

7 minutes ago, Blue said:

Because he controls how much he bids and, as I said, that's a number that I don't think anybody in this league would think twice about matching. If you want an RFA, bid enough to at least make it a difficult decision.

Getting that high of a pick with Trevor Lawrence on a rookie contract?  And not having to tie up 20% of your cap in a QB who takes a lot of hits in the hope you get a better return next offseason?

I think most owners would think more than twice about it.

6 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

When the only argument presented was playoff wins, there's an equally stupid comparison

When the only argument presented was a vague "succeeds" with no definition of what that means, there's an an equally stupid comparison

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

Getting that high of a pick with Trevor Lawrence on a rookie contract?  And not having to tie up 20% of your cap in a QB who takes a lot of hits in the hope you get a better return next offseason?

Will Anderson and TJ Watt would be a fun edge duo

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Not a single owner in this league would think twice about it and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Trevor Lawrence on a rookie contract proves my point. Scoundrel got a king's ransom for him in a trade despite having about as bad a rookie year as he could have had barring injury; what do you think Rack could get for him now?

There is no more valuable asset in any sports league than a star quarterback. He will absolutely get a better return than a single pick for either of those players, and the smart move is to hold on to both, keep whichever one looks like the better long-term bet, and trade the other for a treasure trove of picks + players.

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Not a single owner in this league would think twice about it and you're kidding yourself if you think otherwise. Trevor Lawrence on a rookie contract proves my point. Scoundrel got a king's ransom for him in a trade despite having about as bad a rookie year as he could have had barring injury; what do you think Rack could get for him now?

There is no more valuable asset in any sports league than a star quarterback. He will absolutely get a better return than a single pick for either of those players, and the smart move is to hold on to both, keep whichever one looks like the better long-term bet, and trade the other for a treasure trove of picks + players.

It's really all in what he's trying to accomplish

Three more years of Lawrence less than 40k over the next three years total with an extra first round pick or pay hurts 40k a season now and trade Lawrence for more than just one pick. It's a which do you prefer situation    for me, I'd take my chances with Lawrence at qb but I can't fault if you prefer the other

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

I'm a single owner in this league and I'd think more than twice about it.  In fact, it seems like most owners here would think twice about it.

Scoundrel got a lot for the best QB prospect since Luck who had to deal with arguably the worst HC in NFL history his rookie year.

And yes, in a perfect world, that is the smart play.  You're also assuming both QBs will have their value grow, stay healthy, not regress, etc.

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

It's really all in what he's trying to accomplish

Three more years of Lawrence less than 40k over the next three years total with an extra first round pick or pay hurts 40k a season now and trade Lawrence for more than just one pick. It's a which do you prefer situation    for me, I'd take my chances with Lawrence at qb but I can't fault if you prefer the other

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm a single owner in this league and I'd think more than twice about it.  In fact, it seems like most owners here would think twice about it.

Scoundrel got a lot for the best QB prospect since Luck who had to deal with arguably the worst HC in NFL history his rookie year.

And yes, in a perfect world, that is the smart play.  You're also assuming both QBs will have their value grow, stay healthy, not regress, etc.

No, neither of you would. And you will both prove me right every year you have an expensive top-tier quarterback on your roster and don't spend a high pick on a QB prospect.

If you're worried one or the other will get hurt or regress, that's just more reason to keep both. Lawrence on a rookie contract is a luxury that allows him to maximize his return. Their value doesn't need to grow; it's already more than the absolute pittance losing a franchise QB for a single first-round pick would be. Worrying that one or the other will get hurt or regress isn't unique to the quarterback position and isn't something any of us can predict or control.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

No, neither of you would. And you will both prove me right every year you have an expensive top-tier quarterback on your roster and don't spend a high pick on a QB prospect.

If you're worried one or the other will get hurt or regress, that's just more reason to keep both. Lawrence on a rookie contract is a luxury that allows him to maximize his return. Their value doesn't need to grow; it's already more than the absolute pittance losing a franchise QB for a single first-round pick would be. Worrying that one or the other will get hurt or regress isn't unique to the quarterback position and isn't something any of us can predict or control.

Considering he got Jalen as a toss in to a trade, that's a terrible reasoning.

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Considering he got Jalen as a toss in to a trade, that's a terrible reasoning.

What are you talking about? How he acquired Hurts is utterly irrelevant to whether he keeps both him and Lawrence.