Week 18 scheduling prediction/discussion

Malfatron

28 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Can anyone explain why the league would schedule KC on Saturday before knowing the result of BUF v CIN? 

That seems outrageous to me.

I knew this would be a major problem for the Saturday games. Teams are getting unnecessary advantages. That Saturday should have been reserved for college football playoffs.

13 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

I knew this would be a major problem for the Saturday games. Teams are getting unnecessary advantages. That Saturday should have been reserved for college football playoffs.

Talk me through what the problem is with the KC game being on Saturday. I’m generally curious what the issue is. 

As to my previous question above…… I suppose there was no way around some sort of conflict. The league sure isn’t going to pick 2 games of no consequence for Saturday because TV ratings matter for money and money rules all things. The only thing that would be a problem with KC would be if they lose it could affect the Bills/Patriots game. That seems to be about it. I don’t think the league or any of us think KC is gonna lose Saturday and miss out on the chance to be the 1 seed. Therefore, it wouldn’t be a problem. 

26 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Got it. I was thinking BUF would have 2 locked up but I see they would not if they lose to CIN.

Makes more sense to me now.

Now if the Bills win tonight and KC were to lose (which I don’t believe they will) then the Bills would’ve locked the 1 seed and could rest. That would benefit the Patriots immensely.  Tonight’s game is huge. 

• Like 1

Week 18 is like Week 1 in that its pretty unpredictable. Coaches also tend to let loose a little more too. If you're 4-12 or 5-11 and nothing to play for, why not go for it on 4th & 6 on your own 42 in the 2nd quarter? Why not unleash your running QB when he has all offseason to recover from an extra couple of hits? Why not run some crazy defensive look and confuse the heck out of the opposing QB? 

Hope we see some wild finishes on Sunday

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Now if the Bills win tonight and KC were to lose (which I don’t believe they will) then the Bills would’ve locked the 1 seed and could rest. That would benefit the Patriots immensely.  Tonight’s game is huge. 

Right, the potential benefit to the Patriots is too much. Inexcusable not to play KC and Buffalo simultaneously.

In the future, you can do ESPN/2 simulcast with teams entangled like this, both in prime time. I think there was a Titan Bill game at 7pm and MNF Eagles Vikes at 8:30pm earlier in the year. In this case, both the entangled games could be played at 8:15 ET Saturday. You just can't put teams at an advantage to milk additional TV money. Otherwise, give ESPN a meaningless game showcasing younger talent or players vying for roster spots in another non-implicated matchup.

Edited by WheatieMan