2023 Free Agency

Dessie

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Defensively I'd look at:

DL: DreMont Jones, Dalvin Tomlinson, A'Shawn Robinson, Greg Gaines, Poona Ford 

LB: Drue Tranquill, Alex Singleton, Quincy Williams, Devin Bush, Kyle Van Noy, Raekwon McMillian 

CB: Byron Murphy, Fabian Moreau, Jonathan Jones, Sean Bunting

S: Jabrill Peppers, Julian Love, Nassir Adderly, Taylor Rapp, Terrell Edmunds 

Didn’t we trade for McMillan a couple of years ago ? He barely played for the Patriots last year. 

Cole Holcomb had a really good ‘21 season and was heading for something similar last year but finished the season on IR with a foot injury, he’s worth a look imo.

Edited by Dessie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Didn’t we trade for McMillan a couple of years ago ? He barely played for the Patriots last year. 

Cole Holcomb had a really good ‘21 season and was heading for something similar last year but finished the season on IR with a foot injury, he’s worth a look imo.

Yep another great deal from Grudock and he was pretty useless to be frank. Holcomb is a good player, definitely worth a look. If we’re going to look at ex players Morrow and Key could be worth looking at……….

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep another great deal from Grudock and he was pretty useless to be frank. Holcomb is a good player, definitely worth a look. If we’re going to look at ex players Morrow and Key could be worth looking at……….

Idk why we let Morrow leave.  He didn’t get paid that much by Chicago.  He got 3M flat.  Bolden got 2yrs, 5.01M to be RB4… 4 of 5 RBs but that’s another issue.  We went into the season lacking depth at LB and ended up signing guys off the street … literally.  

I get the feeling that Key was quite happy to get the heck out of here and wouldn’t come back.  Morrow though I’d love to have back!  He did well in coverage but can’t be used on bigger TEs, then again there’s few LBs who can.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

That's mostly lazy journalism tbh because most sites list OL as our biggest need and 7th is way too early to take an OG. 

I really really hate Peter Skoronski being mocked to us at 7 … and to play G makes it 10x worse.  I’ve always said you can find good guards in rounds 3-5 or for relatively cheap in FA.  It’s just not a high value position.  Also, there’s a lot of them relative because college OTs with issues get kicked inside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

I really really hate Peter Skoronski being mocked to us at 7 … and to play G makes it 10x worse.  I’ve always said you can find good guards in rounds 3-5 or for relatively cheap in FA.  It’s just not a high value position.  Also, there’s a lot of them relative because college OTs with issues get kicked inside.

Peter Skoronski and Paris Johnson are my least favorite mocked players to us at #7, a LT and an OG. Terrible value and they don't even really hit positions of need. A lot of good veteran OG's on the market and I like guys like Patterson, Tippmann, Vorhees, and Avila in the middle rounds as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Doing the TCMD I've been analyzing our roster for the past few days and man we're so top heavy. We have to find starting level players at like 6/7 spots on both sides of the ball. 

I just hope that we go for value signings and try to get at least average level dudes at almost every position. 

We are too heavy as you said… which does mean we have some elite level players to win big games.  You always need guys who can make big plays and do so reliably.  But when your top heavy you really really gotta manage the bottom 6-8ish starters and depth well.  You can’t waste money… ie Parker and Bolden… or have lots of dead cap from players you cut, which we did the last few years.

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

We are too heavy as you said… which does mean we have some elite level players to win big games.  You always need guys who can make big plays and do so reliably.  But when your top heavy you really really gotta manage the bottom 6-8ish starters and depth well.  You can’t waste money… ie Parker and Bolden… or have lots of dead cap from players you cut, which we did the last few years.

The new regime got screwed because we basically had 0 young talent and 0 depth due to Grudock pissing away draft capital at a historic rate. Nichols, Bolden, Parker, there was a lot of meh signings and none of our rookie class did much outside of Parham. 

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Idk why we let Morrow leave.  He didn’t get paid that much by Chicago.  He got 3M flat.  Bolden got 2yrs, 5.01M to be RB4… 4 of 5 RBs but that’s another issue.  We went into the season lacking depth at LB and ended up signing guys off the street … literally.  

I get the feeling that Key was quite happy to get the heck out of here and wouldn’t come back.  Morrow though I’d love to have back!  He did well in coverage but can’t be used on bigger TEs, then again there’s few LBs who can.

Didn't he miss the entire 2021 season after we paid him?

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

Morrow would be a nice pickup for cheap. 

They could also put the former second-rounder in line for a new Raiders pact. Vincent Bonsignore of the Las Vegas Review-Journal writes that the team “would like him back, provided it makes sense financially.” 

Sounds like we're trying to extend Perryman before FA starts. I'd bring him back, RYS, Billings, and Harmon defensively. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Peter Skoronski and Paris Johnson are my least favorite mocked players to us at #7, a LT and an OG. Terrible value and they don't even really hit positions of need. A lot of good veteran OG's on the market and I like guys like Patterson, Tippmann, Vorhees, and Avila in the middle rounds as well.

I really like the idea of drafting Vorhees in the 3rd and Darrell Wright in the 2nd (possible with slight trade down).

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Didn't he miss the entire 2021 season after we paid him?

Yeah we gave him a RFA tender and he got hurt in TC.  He was suppose to come back at late in the season, as he was put eligible to return, but for an unknown reason as far as I know never returned.

17 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I really like the idea of drafting Vorhees in the 3rd and Darrell Wright in the 2nd (possible with slight trade down).

I've thought about that as well but I'd prefer Dawand Jones. Having Parham / Vorhees / Jones on rookie deals for the next 3-4 years would keep our OL cheap.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I've thought about that as well but I'd prefer Dawand Jones. Having Parham / Vorhees / Jones on rookie deals for the next 3-4 years would keep our OL cheap.

I like Jones but think Wright is significantly more mobile and he significantly better feet.  Wright is very impressive.

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I like Jones but think Wright is significantly more mobile and he significantly better feet.  Wright is very impressive.

IIRC Wright also has experience playing LT/RT. RT would be a nice value pick at #38 but I'm 100% fine with bringing Elu back on a team friendly deal. 

Edited by NYRaider