2023 Free Agency

Dessie

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We'll see how big of a Raider fan he is when we miss out on Rodgers and he is looking at a 4 win season with a stopgap bum who can't get him the ball.  This should get interesting.....

He just experienced a 6 win season with a journeyman QB that struggled to get him the ball. Didn’t Carr set the record for most incompletions targeting a single player with Adams this year? Lmao

Why are some of you even fans of this team?

The most bitter dudes in here live to crap on the team. Maybe look at your own lives. If you are this bitter about a sports team you have no stake in, I can't imagine life is going well for you. 

Getting ridiculous anymore here with some of you. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Why are some of you even fans of this team?

The most bitter dudes in here live to crap on the team. Maybe look at your own lives. If you are this bitter about a sports team you have no stake in, I can't imagine life is going well for you. 

Getting ridiculous anymore here with some of you. 

Reminds me a lot of how Jazz fans reacted when they traded Rudy Gobert last summer. A good portion of the fanbase acted like they were bigger fans of him than the team and truly believed that he was going to lead his next team to a title while the team never recovered. The  new regime Jazz realized that Rudy was a flawed player that limited their ceiling and the new regime clearly came to that same conclusion about DC. Both are guys that preached love and loyalty for the organization so a lot of fans felt it was dirty to move on but you can’t build around a flawed player that limits your championship ceiling just because they like playing for you.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rolni said:

I also think that Parham moves to OC after Andre James is cut.

Elumeunor played under pretty much this regime in 2020 as LT and RT, then he played again under them with us in 2022 as a RT for 801 snaps, RG for 71 snaps and LT for 66 snaps.

I think if they bring him back, he will be a RT for us again or a swing OT, if they can upgrade at RT...

Elumeunor did enough for me to be resigned, 1 sack given up after week 1 is impressive given who he had inside of him. Priority has be getting 2 new guards if Parham moves to center. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Elumeunor did enough for me to be resigned, 1 sack given up after week 1 is impressive given who he had inside of him. Priority has be getting 2 new guards if Parham moves to center. 

I’d be okay with bringing back Elu if he’ll take 4-5M APY. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Money is king and will forever be king. Pony up those bonuses and players will come. 

The zero state tax ok Nevada alone is a Massive draw to free agents.  California state tax (12.3% if over 677k) is the most but a lot of states range from 5-9%.  

Say we are negotiating to sign a OL whose looking for around the 4yrs, 40M- 10M AAV.  To oversimplify things, the player pays income tax for the state he plays the game in.  So at lowest that’s 9 home games including the bye week.  Let’s assume 38 home games over 4 years…. That’s a difference of 3M take home compared to a team with no state tax like Nevada.

I can see elite FAs want more to come to our dysfunctional organization but most FAs will go to the higher bidder with some consideration for their location preference, cost of living and moving.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dessie said:

Same here!

Miller and Elumeunor should be a solid OT pair and also a solid value if Elu is back on a team friendly deal. Munford could be a servicable swing OT IMO.

Parham should be able to play OC at a good level based on his rookie year IMO.

1 starting OG via FA and another one via draft should be the goal IMO. Keep the cost at a managable level and field a good overall OL. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The zero state tax ok Nevada alone is a Massive draw to free agents.  California state tax (12.3% if over 677k) is the most but a lot of states range from 5-9%.  

Say we are negotiating to sign a OL whose looking for around the 4yrs, 40M- 10M AAV.  To oversimplify things, the player pays income tax for the state he plays the game in.  So at lowest that’s 9 home games including the bye week.  Let’s assume 38 home games over 4 years…. That’s a difference of 3M take home compared to a team with no state tax like Nevada.

I can see elite FAs want more to come to our dysfunctional organization but most FAs will go to the higher bidder with some consideration for their location preference, cost of living and moving.

Agreed. Some players who are nearing the end of their career, who have already made big bucks and who are now just chasing a ring may swerve us for a more stable franchise, but the vast majority of Free Agents will still strongly consider the Raiders if we make a competitive offer, in my opinion.

No state tax, nice weather and a state of the art training facility and stadium are big selling points - even if there definitely is dysfunction within the organization.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Agreed. Some players who are nearing the end of their career, who have already made big bucks and who are now just chasing a ring may swerve us for a more stable franchise, but the vast majority of Free Agents will still strongly consider the Raiders if we make a competitive offer, in my opinion.

No state tax, nice weather and a state of the art training facility and stadium are big selling points - even if there definitely is dysfunction within the organization.

I think most of this doesn't matter until we have a QB.  That will go a long way to determining which free agents would even consider coming to Vegas.  As of today, the only free agents coming to Vegas are the ones getting the right amount of money.  That is not the place you want to be, ever.  

It is up to the organization to decide on our direction, rebuild or reload.  Free agents will want to know what they are signing up for.  

44 minutes ago, true2form said:

I think most of this doesn't matter until we have a QB.  That will go a long way to determining which free agents would even consider coming to Vegas.  As of today, the only free agents coming to Vegas are the ones getting the right amount of money.  That is not the place you want to be, ever.  

It is up to the organization to decide on our direction, rebuild or reload.  Free agents will want to know what they are signing up for.  

This line of thinking is wrong imo. If you are a young player getting your second contract you are taking the biggest pay day you can get. That's all they care about.

A veteran who's played out a couple contracts and wants to win a ring is 50/50. Some want a chance at winning a ring, some just want one last pay day to secure their future. 

This narrative being pushed that "nobody will want to come to Vegas" unless they overpay is dumb.  

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This line of thinking is wrong imo. If you are a young player getting your second contract you are taking the biggest pay day you can get. That's all they care about.

A veteran who's played out a couple contracts and wants to win a ring is 50/50. Some want a chance at winning a ring, some just want one last pay day to secure their future. 

This narrative being pushed that "nobody will want to come to Vegas" unless they overpay is dumb.  

this is how free agency works? 
players go to the highest bidder typically, especially day 1 signings. You are def over paying in FA. 

team offering Biggest pay day - is also overpaying according to the other 31 teams?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

The 0% income tax for Nevada only extends to players who actually work (earn) AND live in Nevada though, barring a state of residency with a waiver. 

If a player still resides in, say, California, they're still paying income tax in CA. Not sure how many high priced FA's actually live in Nevada. I know it's fairly common for a lot of players to not take up residency in the state their team is located in (ie: Donovan McNabb lived in AZ despite playing in the Philly/DC area). 

Just saying, a lot of these guys aren't moving to NV and establishing residency and giving up their So Cal beach homes. It works if they live in FL or TX or WA or TN or another state w/ 0% income tax OR a reciprocate agreement, but that's not always the case. It's very circumstance-dependent from a tax perspective. 

Edited by ronjon1990

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You can disagree all you like, but it doesn't make you right.  Most free agents don't want to go to a team who doesn't have a QB.  Re-read if you must, but I said as of today  for a reason.  

The point remains, until we know who are QB is, we have no clue how desirable our team will be.  This is not opinion.

59 minutes ago, true2form said:

You can disagree all you like, but it doesn't make you right.  Most free agents don't want to go to a team who doesn't have a QB.  Re-read if you must, but I said as of today  for a reason.  

The point remains, until we know who are QB is, we have no clue how desirable our team will be.  This is not opinion.

unless you are a serious contender, players are going to go to the highest bidder 95% of time. 
We are not a serious contedner at the moment, so unless we are willing to pay, we will struggle getting players in FA