2023 Free Agency

Dessie

2 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Agreed, he’s not a Pro Bowl player but is average to pretty decent (if he can cut down on his penalties) and we don’t need to create more holes if we can avoid it. I think he’ll be pretty reasonable to re sign. If someone falls in the draft to us at RT then great but we don’t need to repeat past mistakes and create dire needs and tip our hands at all either.

My belief is resign Eluemunor is we’re talking 1-2years with an absolute 5M APY MAX.  Beyond that I’d prefer to draft a RT or pay more for someone else.

Comparatively, at RT excluding rookie deals:

La’el Collins: 3y,21m

Trent Brown: 2y, 13m

Cameron Irving: 2y, 10m

Brandon Parker: 1yr, 3.5m

Reily Reiff + Jesse Davis: 1y, 3m

Kelvin Beachum: 2y, 4M

Eluemunor is coming off a 1yr, 1.25M deal.  He just turned 28yo.  I’d prefer to give him Either of these deals:

1yr, 3.5M with up to 1M  (250k, 500k, 750k, 1M in snaps played incentives) 

——————-
2yr, 9M with 1.5M in additional incentives 

‘23: 3.5M with the same 1M incentives 

’24: roster bonus of 1M 3 days after FA period starts, 4.5M salary plus up to 500k in snaps played incentives 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I keep trying to talk my girlfriend to move there with me and I can day trade.  I believe it is a 3% income tax rate.  Trading would be so easy.  Make $200-300 a day and live like a king.  Making $75K a year in Puerto Rico is like making $300-400K where I live.

My friend absolutely nuts in a good way… so I wouldn’t say his opinion is the consensus but he’s said:

1) it’s actually expensive to live there.  He lives in a 800k condo in a high rise tower but he can see the shootings every night from his beautiful window view.

2) foods really expensive… he’s always been one to eat like a king but he said it’s expensive.

Its definitely tempting… I hate paying 40-50k a year in taxes.  It’s brutal, mainly because I feel I get so little for what I pay… and I feel like easily 50% of it is skimmed off my the political system, 25% is given away, and Only 25% goes to what it should.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

My friend absolutely nuts in a good way… so I wouldn’t say his opinion is the consensus but he’s said:

1) it’s actually expensive to live there.  He lives in a 800k condo in a high rise tower but he can see the shootings every night from his beautiful window view.

2) foods really expensive… he’s always been one to eat like a king but he said it’s expensive.

Its definitely tempting… I hate paying 40-50k a year in taxes.  It’s brutal, mainly because I feel I get so little for what I pay… and I feel like easily 50% of it is skimmed off my the political system, 25% is given away, and Only 25% goes to what it should.

PR is dumb expensive. Worked for the US Dist Court down there for a bit. 

Same with the USVI. 

Great to visit, horrible to live. Hawai'i is arguably cheaper anymore. It was a great time, sans the hurricane seasons, but holy cow was the cost of living ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would leave it up to the front office and HCP's to vet these guys for acute or chronic injuries and to see if they will be on the field or not.  I am looking at value and upside potential not signing a 30 year old player like Hargrave to a 20M contract like some fools on here would like to do. 

The injuries could pose good value for us.  If a player like Davenport didn't have a down season last year and an injury history he would command way more than what he will get on the open market.  That could be to our benifit as he is a good player when healthy and firing on all cylinders. 

I am not advocating breaking the bank for any of these guys rather I am looking for good value at discounts. 

Calling people fools but wanting to sign a player you claim not to be good and injury prone lol 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

Calling people fools but wanting to sign a player you claim not to be good and injury prone lol 

You wouldn't take a shot on D Bush, a 24 year old, former top 10 pick on a 1 year 2M deal prove it deal?  I am not advocating for paying the guy top shelf money but if he can stay healthy and up his game he could be a solid depth piece with a chance to start.  If he sucks we move on and don't lose much.  That is a low risk and high potential signing. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz

6 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Really.  Last I heard it was cheap.  Then again it might depend on where someone is willing to live.  I have not been there myself but was told by people that grew up there or have family that lived there.  I am not the type that would want to live in a high rise tower either.  Sounds like it might be the safest place to live in PR from what you said though.

8 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I say steer clear of the expensive, big name signings.  One they most likely won't want to sign here and lose 13 games and two if we do sign one of the big name free agents we will have to over pay for their services. 

If DZ is smart he will sign younger, cheaper, smaller named players and try to build up a solid roster that is deep.  

Hargrave is a good player but is 30 and played on a dline and D littered with talent.  Hard pass as I would rather sign 3 or 4 players that total 18 million rather than a 30 year old player who will most likely regress when surrounded with **** talent. 

However if Payne hits the FA market I would strongly consider paying him 15+ per year.  I highly doubt he hits the FA market though. 

I can see the merit in this and initially, it’s what I would have thought. The trouble is with regards the DLine specifically, that’s what we’ve tried recently with guys like Jefferson, Malik Collins, Solomon Thomas, Bilal Nichols and we’re basically back to square one. So whilst I’d say that would be my MO for LB, Safety, OG, I’d probably make an exception for a position like DT which is the keystone really to the whole D. The caveat being that the guy would have to be in his prime or young, not have injury questions and be a difference maker which leads me to Payne basically.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I can see the merit in this and initially, it’s what I would have thought. The trouble is with regards the DLine specifically, that’s what we’ve tried recently with guys like Jefferson, Malik Collins, Solomon Thomas, Bilal Nichols and we’re basically back to square one. So whilst I’d say that would be my MO for LB, Safety, OG, I’d probably make an exception for a position like DT which is the keystone really to the whole D. The caveat being that the guy would have to be in his prime or young, not have injury questions and be a difference maker which leads me to Payne basically.

If Payne hits the FA market he would be my top target without question.  He would command near the 20M which is a bit steep but I would take the risk considering his age, production and 3T being a massive area of need for this team.  We have massive holes at every level of the D but landing a young stud, 3T would help immensely.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I will start out by saying the odds are small that we trade for Rogers and I think it would be a very bad idea as this team is not ready to compete and if we want a solid roster it needs to be built up through the draft and getting value through FA signings.  Trading multiple picks for a 40 year old QB is not smart unless he allows a team to make a SB push which he would not on this squad. 

I would also look hard at trading Adams, Waller and Renfrow to acquire draft capital and build for the future.  

Here are a few free agents I would look to target this offseason: 

Payne DT I highly doubt he hits FA but if he does I would consider paying him over 15M

B Murphy CB Pretty good CB who had a down year last year

J Taylor RT Not great but durable 

I Wynn RT Injury prone but upside potential if he can be signed for a good deal as a RT

M Davenport DE Would be a nice compliment to Maxx and shouldn't break the bank.  Injury history and down year last year so he should come at a heavy discount

Bates S Good player but I am not sure the value is there if he lands a contract of 13+M

Juju WR Good possession WR who shouldn't command a ton of money

Chark WR Speed WR with size who has been injury history.  We need speed and he can be signed and not break the bank

Here are some players I would kick the tires on for depth, value and cheap signings

Devin Bush LB cheap as he has not been good and has been injury prone

D Slayton WR Would be a nice signing if he can be signed for not much (2M).  Should slip into the #2 role

Irv Smith TE Injury prone but young and upside as a solid pass catching #2 TE

Deion Jones LB  Injury prone but has played at a high level in the past.  Cheap depth signing

Greedy Williams CB cheap as he can't tackle for **** but the potential is there

J Love S He could be a nice value signing if the price is right

R Harrison S Cheap signing with upside

There’s a few really interesting names here and I really like the idea of maybe signing one or two and hoping for a payoff.

I’d be careful who though, for example if we re sign Ya Sin I probably wouldn’t take a risk on a CB with an injury history as then we’d have two guys with questions and the odds are one or both could go down.

Guys like Davenport, Deion Jones I think it’s definitely worth a moderate gamble, I’d definitely be on board with both of those at discount rates.

Chark is also a good one as he won’t be expected to be taking all the snaps with Adams, Renfrow and Waller so we can limit his exposure maybe plus he adds something we don’t have.

Byron Murphy too is one I’d look at, he seems like he may be worth a shot.

Really like Jesse Bates but I think he might be a bit rich if we move for a big ticket DT.

I do like this idea though so long as we’re selective and take account of the position groups we can go cheaper and take a risk. 

6 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

There’s a few really interesting names here and I really like the idea of maybe signing one or two and hoping for a payoff.

I’d be careful who though, for example if we re sign Ya Sin I probably wouldn’t take a risk on a CB with an injury history as then we’d have two guys with questions and the odds are one or both could go down.

Guys like Davenport, Deion Jones I think it’s definitely worth a moderate gamble, I’d definitely be on board with both of those at discount rates.

Chark is also a good one as he won’t be expected to be taking all the snaps with Adams, Renfrow and Waller so we can limit his exposure maybe plus he adds something we don’t have.

Byron Murphy too is one I’d look at, he seems like he may be worth a shot.

Really like Jesse Bates but I think he might be a bit rich if we move for a big ticket DT.

I do like this idea though so long as we’re selective and take account of the position groups we can go cheaper and take a risk. 

The point of the list was to highlight younger players with upside potential.  I am not advocating for signing all of the them but rather to take a deeper look at players like this as starters and depth pieces with minimal risk based on the value of their contracts.  

The guys I would look hardest at would be Payne, Murphy, Davenport, Chark or Slayton.  We need a 3T and Payne is the best of this class, Murphy has been solid in the past and could be a viable option depending on what happens with Sin.  Neither are #1's but both could be solid 2's. If we don't draft a QB at 7 I would be all for trading back and trying to land a #1 CB like Porter Jr. 

I like Davenport as a nice replacement for Jones who won't break the bank.  Chark would be my preferred #2 speed WR but Slayton could be a solid option as well as both are sub 4.4 guys.  Neither guy should command too much on the open market.  

D. Jones would be a solid depth piece but I would offer a 1 year prove it deal for cheap. Bates would be a nice addition but I don't think the value is there for what he will command.  15M or somewhere in that range is too steep. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The point of the list was to highlight younger players with upside potential.  I am not advocating for signing all of the them but rather to take a deeper look at players like this as starters and depth pieces with minimal risk based on the value of their contracts.  

The guys I would look hardest at would be Payne, Murphy, Davenport, Chark or Slayton.  We need a 3T and Payne is the best of this class, Murphy has been solid in the past and could be a viable option depending on what happens with Sin.  Neither are #1's but both could be solid 2's. If we don't draft a QB at 7 I would be all for trading back and trying to land a #1 CB like Porter Jr. 

I like Davenport as a nice replacement for Jones who won't break the bank.  Chark would be my preferred #2 speed WR but Slayton could be a solid option as well as both are sub 4.4 guys.  Neither guy should command too much on the open market.  

D. Jones would be a solid depth piece but I would offer a 1 year prove it deal for cheap. Bates would be a nice addition but I don't think the value is there for what he will command.  15M or somewhere in that range is too steep. 

Yep, sounds like a fine plan.

I too would like to trade down and add one of Porter, Gonzalez or Witherspoon and still get an extra second who could be a great player too. I like all the names you have posted there and if we can add a guy like Payne as the sole big ticket guy I think we’ll be staring to turn this ship around. 

Ideally, I’d get Payne as the big ticket guy, add a couple guys like Deion Jones, Slayton or Davenport as value guys in free agency. I’d also like to add a vet OG and CB in FA just so we don’t tip our hand.

In the draft, if we can trade down, grab Witherspoon at CB, Tuipolotu at DE and then a guy like Avila or Jarrett Patterson to the OLine I think I’d be very happy. Then see which 3T drops out of prospects like Roy or Kancey or Benton. Later in the draft target depth at safety, linebacker and any talented guys that drop regardless of position. That would be the outline of my plan.

37 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yep, sounds like a fine plan.

I too would like to trade down and add one of Porter, Gonzalez or Witherspoon and still get an extra second who could be a great player too. I like all the names you have posted there and if we can add a guy like Payne as the sole big ticket guy I think we’ll be staring to turn this ship around. 

Ideally, I’d get Payne as the big ticket guy, add a couple guys like Deion Jones, Slayton or Davenport as value guys in free agency. I’d also like to add a vet OG and CB in FA just so we don’t tip our hand.

In the draft, if we can trade down, grab Witherspoon at CB, Tuipolotu at DE and then a guy like Avila or Jarrett Patterson to the OLine I think I’d be very happy. Then see which 3T drops out of prospects like Roy or Kancey or Benton. Later in the draft target depth at safety, linebacker and any talented guys that drop regardless of position. That would be the outline of my plan.

Landing Payne would be huge but I am chalking it up to a pipe dream.   For the sake of this conversation lets say we do. We sign Payne, Ya-Sin or Murphy as our #2, Davenport as our DE opposite Maxx,  Chark or Slayton as our #2 that would be a nice haul in FA. 

I am all for a trade back, acquire draft capital then land a #1 CB.  Even if we sign Davenport I would not be opposed to an edge rusher in round 2 if the value is there.  Some edge rushers to consider would be LVN, D. Hall or N. Smith.  Round three would be a good area to land a RT like Freeland from BYU.  

Interior Oline, LB, WR and Safety value can be had in the later rounds.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 9:16 PM, Darbsk said:

Agreed, he’s not a Pro Bowl player but is average to pretty decent (if he can cut down on his penalties) and we don’t need to create more holes if we can avoid it. I think he’ll be pretty reasonable to re sign. If someone falls in the draft to us at RT then great but we don’t need to repeat past mistakes and create dire needs and tip our hands at all either.

Eleumunor, Ya-Sin, Harmon, Billings should be priority re-signings that shouldn’t be too expensive. I think Perryman might walk. Jaylon Smith played really well for the Giants, wonder how much he would cost ? 

Nate Herbig played well for the Jets at RG he might be worth a look as well. Gave up 1 QB hit & 0 sacks in first 9 games before struggling when he had an injury. 

1 hour ago, Dessie said:

Eleumunor, Ya-Sin, Harmon, Billings should be priority re-signings that shouldn’t be too expensive. I think Perryman might walk. Jaylon Smith played really well for the Giants, wonder how much he would cost ? 

Nate Herbig played well for the Jets at RG he might be worth a look as well. Gave up 1 QB hit & 0 sacks in first 9 games before struggling when he had an injury. 

Herbig is an interesting name, a nice under the radar type of signing. I like Perryman but he’s got a finite value and he may want more than that. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dessie said:

The only one I would give starter money is Ya-Sin as he is a decent #2 CB.  The rest are good depth pieces but should not be starting.