2023 Free Agency

Dessie

15 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think we should sign OL, DL in free agency. Draft an edge in the 1st could open the door to draft a WR in the 2nd 

Quinton Johnston, Zay Flowers, Kayshon Boutte, Jalin Hyatt, Josh Downs all could be very interesting in Round 2. 

we could draft a young burner to stretch the field on year 1. Would allow us to move in from Renfrow or Waller next offseason. We have alot of money tied up in playmakers 

Yeah, I’d like us to sign OL in FA: Ben Powers is my guy.  He spent 3 years starting and then not starting in Baltimore, but part of that was they spend a lot of round 3-4 picks at G (and OT).  Ben Cleveland-‘21 3rd, Tyre Phillips- ‘20 3rd , Ben Bredeson ‘20 4th and kind of rotated the young guys opposite Pro Bowl level G Kevin Ziegler.

Powers started 7 of 16 games in ‘20, 12 of 13 games in ‘21, and 17 of 17 games in ‘22.  He came into the league as a 4th round G out of Oklahoma at 6’4 310 and is now listed at 338 but is very very good pulling and at the 2nd level.

I think we could probably get 26yo Powers on a 3-4y deal at 7-9M APY.  He’s played both G spots but excelled this year at LG.  He played both in college but most at LG.

My other OL signing would be Shaq Mason, who will likely be released by TB.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2023 at 3:44 PM, Humble_Beast said:

Good: Bringing back Eluemunor for cheap saved us, Billings was a good cheap pickup, 

Bad: Investing in RB and not believing in Jacobs (could have drafted Pacheco late as a back) guys like Abdullah/Bolden were jags…. 

*Jayon Brown and Micah Kiser could have been solid but were hurt. I wouldn’t mind bringing them back for cheap. 

TBH I think we got a little unlucky too with guys like Kiser, Fackrell, Jordan Jenkins out all year and Goode retiring at inopportune moment.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

TBH I think we got a little unlucky too with guys like Kiser, Fackrell, Jordan Jenkins out all year and Goode retiring at inopportune moment.

Really depleted our depth on D for sure. Once Deablo went down and Perryman got beat up, we were playing a 2004-2018 Raiders LB unit. 

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Really depleted our depth on D for sure. Once Deablo went down and Perryman got beat up, we were playing a 2004-2018 Raiders LB unit. 

Injuries and bad depth everywhere. Secondary lost Hobbs, Avertte and Ya-Sin for stretches, had to play Webb, Hall and Jones off the street. 

But it's Patrick Graham's fault right?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Injuries and bad depth everywhere. Secondary lost Hobbs, Avertte and Ya-Sin for stretches, had to play Webb, Hall and Jones off the street. 

But it's Patrick Graham's fault right?  

Injuries? No. 

Not being a good coordinator? Yes. 

We weren't good even when at relatively full strength. 

I don't care how "respected" someone is when that's all they bring to the table. Rob Ryan got DC jobs for years because he was "respected" despite the poor results. KNJ was "respected" and he kept his job waaaay too long. No DC on the face of the earth should have lasted with the security Graham did last year, and it's not like he has some long track record of sustained success to fall back on. He got to keep his job because we hired Pats-Lite and they will do nothing to admit being wrong or flawed. He got the job because he was connected, and despite historic failures kept his job because he was connected.

At the absolute best, he's a painfully average DC who cannot make adjustments to save his life. At worst, he's abysmal at scheming and understanding situational football and putting guys in position to succeed. Based on his history, it's more often the latter. The hire reeks of nepotism, the fact he's still around reeks of nepotism, and when he's finally shown the door, it will inevitably be a last ditch effort by the boy genius to save his hide before he's shown the door too. Terrible hires all around. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Injuries? No. 

Not being a good coordinator? Yes. 

We weren't good even when at relatively full strength. 

I don't care how "respected" someone is when that's all they bring to the table. Rob Ryan got DC jobs for years because he was "respected" despite the poor results. KNJ was "respected" and he kept his job waaaay too long. No DC on the face of the earth should have lasted with the security Graham did last year, and it's not like he has some long track record of sustained success to fall back on. He got to keep his job because we hired Pats-Lite and they will do nothing to admit being wrong or flawed. He got the job because he was connected, and despite historic failures kept his job because he was connected.

At the absolute best, he's a painfully average DC who cannot make adjustments to save his life. At worst, he's abysmal at scheming and understanding situational football and putting guys in position to succeed. Based on his history, it's more often the latter. The hire reeks of nepotism, the fact he's still around reeks of nepotism, and when he's finally shown the door, it will inevitably be a last ditch effort by the boy genius to save his hide before he's shown the door too. Terrible hires all around. 

Because they were not talented. It's all pretty simple, but apparently hard for you to grasp.

Raiders are 29th in spending on the defensive side of the ball......

Because you're a little slow on the uptake, I'll break it down for you like you're 5....

The team doesn't have any good players on defense that they grew themselves. So they don't have anyone they want to give money to. The reason is that they didn't choose good players when they had the chance to in the draft. So now they don't have any good players on their team. 

It makes the people who like the team sad and upset. And sometimes they blame the coaches, instead of realizing that the problem was because the people in charge before didn't do their job properly.

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because they were not talented. It's all pretty simple, but apparently hard for you to grasp.

Raiders are 29th in spending on the defensive side of the ball......

Because you're a little slow on the uptake, I'll break it down for you like you're 5....

The team doesn't have any good players on defense that they grew themselves. So they don't have anyone they want to give money to. The reason is that they didn't choose good players when they had the chance to in the draft. So now they don't have any good players on their team. 

It makes the people who like the team sad and upset. And sometimes they blame the coaches, instead of realizing that the problem was because the people in charge before didn't do their job properly.

Since you're just a little slow in general, I'll break it down for you:

EVEN THE GOOD PLAYERS UNDERWHELMED AND GUYS REGRESSED ACROSS THE BOARD UNDER A COACH WITH A HISTORY OF CAUSING REGRESSION. 

I know it's hard to grasp, especially for someone with a proven lack of ability to conduct even the most basic research before trying to play holier than thou. You'll get it eventually...I think. Depends on how deep Graham's *** is. 

Edited by ronjon1990

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

EVEN THE GOOD PLAYERS UNDERWHELMED AND GUYS REGRESSED ACROSS THE BOARD UNDER A COACH WITH A HISTORY OF CAUSING REGRESSION. 

I know it's hard to grasp, especially for someone with a proven lack of ability to conduct even the most basic research before trying to play holier than thou. You'll get it eventually...I think. Depends on how deep Graham's *** is. 

You accusing @big_palooka of trying to play “holier than thou” is particularly rich. 

On 2/12/2023 at 6:50 AM, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, I’d like us to sign OL in FA: Ben Powers is my guy.  He spent 3 years starting and then not starting in Baltimore, but part of that was they spend a lot of round 3-4 picks at G (and OT).  Ben Cleveland-‘21 3rd, Tyre Phillips- ‘20 3rd , Ben Bredeson ‘20 4th and kind of rotated the young guys opposite Pro Bowl level G Kevin Ziegler.

Powers started 7 of 16 games in ‘20, 12 of 13 games in ‘21, and 17 of 17 games in ‘22.  He came into the league as a 4th round G out of Oklahoma at 6’4 310 and is now listed at 338 but is very very good pulling and at the 2nd level.

I think we could probably get 26yo Powers on a 3-4y deal at 7-9M APY.  He’s played both G spots but excelled this year at LG.  He played both in college but most at LG.

My other OL signing would be Shaq Mason, who will likely be released by TB.

Give me Nate Davis / Ben Powers in free agency and Dawand Jones at #38.

Miller - Powers - Parham - Davis - Jones 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Crosby had a career year. He's the only truly "good" player on the roster. Leo Williams credited Graham and his staff for a career year in NY.

So again.... you're talking nonsense. The "good" players improved if they were not injured (Perryman, Hobbs). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Crosby had a career year. He's the only truly "good" player on the roster. Leo Williams credited Graham and his staff for a career year in NY.

So again.... you're talking nonsense. The "good" players improved if they were not injured (Perryman, Hobbs). 

Outside of Crosby there isn’t a single defensive player under contract that you can feel super confident about as a starter going into next year. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Whatever you say. You'll defend your man and die on that hill. I respect that. 

But Trevor Lawrence once credited Urban Meyer for creating a family culture in Jacksonville. 

One guy having a career year is meaningless when the rest falls apart. Adam Gase led guys to a career year at one point too. Too bad his overall track record sucks. 

Nonsense is using "respect" as a viable indicator of someone being good at their job. But you're slower than Josh Ogelsby running a 40, so I forgive you.