2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So you'd rather trade 3 FRPs+ hand Lamar Jackson something similar to what the Browns gave Watson for him to play in 75% of the games?

That’s not what I said. I’m saying Lamar is a better option because he’s younger and more dynamic. But the cost sucks. If I’m forced to give up 13+ for example give me Lamar over Rodgers. But like I said none of the scenarios excite me.

30 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

People have to stop bringing up last year. It’s irrelevant. We almost made the playoffs in 2015 and guess what we did the next 3 seasons under the same coach. Rex almost made the playoffs in 2011 and then guess what. Who cares what we almost did?

Once again looking at things without looking as to why. Just making empty statements.

We almost made the playoffs in 2015 bc we finally got some weapons for our QB and Fitz got hot that year. Maybe if things played out differently that year we would have never been looking for a QB. Bc that year is when Geno was supposed to start and got punched in the face over a plane ticket and forced Fitz to start and bc he was winning we never benched him. Geno doesn't get punched maybe he takes that leap that year and we'd had good QB play the last 8 years. Who knows. I believe you were on this board then. And pretty much all of us didn't want to be fooled into paying Fitz that following offseason bc history showed he wasn't consistently good. We sign him making a huge mistake which made us miss out on Watson and Mahomes (all for Adams who we trade 3 years later). And sure enough Fitz goes out and looks bad the following season (Decker also misses pretty much the whole season) and Geno once put in tears his ACL to where we don't even get to see him with a tad better weapons pre his FA. A lot of bad luck in those 2 seasons injury wise with Geno and a dumb GM decision to pay Fitz.

What changed between 2011 and 2012? You're talking as if we brought back the same team. Tomlinson retired and our whole WR room besides Kerley got injured. We let Burress walk that offseason. Holmes only played 4 games and Edwards only 3. Keller our TE also missed half the season. Oh ya and lets not forget the biggest thing. We traded (arguably the best defensive player in the league) Revis that offseason and missed on our mid 1st rounder in Coples.

So when we're a team that is returning pretty much our whole roster that's worth a damn and actually getting guys who were injured back healthy. Yes the optimism is there. And for a good reason.

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So you'd rather trade 3 FRPs+ hand Lamar Jackson something similar to what the Browns gave Watson for him to play in 75% of the games?

I would do that.  If BAL said give us 3 first in 2023-2025 for Jackson I'm doing that in a second.  I think his injuries aren't a huge concern or at least enough for me to not say no to that deal.

2 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

This guy is comparing our situation right now with all the young talent we've brought in to the team with Fitzpatrick, Matt forte, Eric Decker, Brandon Marshall, Revis, and Cromartie all on their absolute last leg? Get out of here. There's a difference between reloading and rebuilding. 

Flawless logic. Thanks for the great input

I'd give up 2 1sts + more for Lamar. I think the injury stuff is overblown. I don't think he's specifically injury prone, and everyone gets hurt at some point. Also worth noting that his last two injuries came within the pocket, so the play style argument doesn't totally hold up to me. He's the best option in terms of skill+long-term outlook.

All that said, just don't think it's gonna happen anyway. Baltimore will eventually get a deal with him. I'm obviously just guessing but I would be shocked if anything happened otherwise.

Rodgers is the next best option after that. Right up there with Lamar in terms of quality but doesn't have the long-term appeal.

Carr after that, though a very distant 3rd option. I think his skill level is much below Rodgers and Jackson, and I think the long term outlook he provides isn't what people make it out to be. Yeah you can have him for four-five more years, but while always looking at wanting an upgrade. Far from settles the position outright in my eyes, but this will likely come down to perspective on the player himself. I don't think he's a top half of the league QB, but I do think you can win with him.

Jimmy G and Tannehil are the options after that for the most part. Both are decent options of a bridge QB you can win with now while also trying to find a long-term option. Both are a significant upgrade over what we played with last year, but neither is exciting and you'll be looking at a SF/TENN model where the QB is just a part of it.

5 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

You say this like it’s an endorsement. If we’re assuming all things are equal to last year, they could make the playoffs with Andy Dalton.

Honestly, if they got even league average QB play they probably would have been a playoff team.  They were 26th in ANY/A last year among all teams from their QBs.  That's awful.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I'd give up 2 1sts + more for Lamar. I think the injury stuff is overblown. I don't think he's specifically injury prone, and everyone gets hurt at some point. Also worth noting that his last two injuries came within the pocket, so the play style argument doesn't totally hold up to me. He's the best option in terms of skill+long-term outlook.

All that said, just don't think it's gonna happen anyway. Baltimore will eventually get a deal with him. I'm obviously just guessing but I would be shocked if anything happened otherwise.

It's likely 3 FRPs just to get a foot in the door for the discussion.  Russell Wilson was older, more expensive, and playing worse and he got 2 FRPs for him.  The Watson trade should absolutely be the framework for a Lamar Jackson trade.

And you can say the injury stuff is overblown, but he's averaged 12 GP over the last 2 seasons.  And his playing style is one that generally doesn't age well over time.  How many running QBs play well late in their careers?  Not very many.

My QB rankings

1. Jackson

2. Rodgers

3. Carr

4. Tanny

5. MFW

I want no part of Jimmy or Baker and the first two obviously if the price is right.  I would couple anyone not named Jackson with Hooker in round 3 if he's there.  Love him as a developmental guy and would even trade up in round 3 to secure him.