2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

21 minutes ago, Big T said:

Why spend money on FA's when the draft year after year produce good WR's with top end speed? Draft someone if it is necessary in the later rounds. As for Berrios? Undrafted  FA's is where we find our next Berrios.

You’re making the success rate seem like it’s flawless. Not saying I’m against going the draft route. But to just assume we draft a guy and they’re the guy…. Not realistic.

If that were the case we wouldn’t need to a WR bc Mims would be a for sure starter.

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Why are you assuming Carr wants to go to the Jets and Rodgers doesn't?  Just because he visited doesn't mean he wants to come here.  At this point, he's already met with New Orleans and he will meet with Carolina at some point.

I assume Carr is visiting the Jets becasue he could see himself as a jet. If Carr did not want to be a jet why would he waste his time going there?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big T said:

Why spend money on FA's when the draft year after year produce good WR's with top end speed? Draft someone if it is necessary in the later rounds. As for Berrios? Undrafted  FA's is where we find our next Berrios.

Assuming we get a real QB, we are a win now team. A rookie WR may or may not work out. A good vet will add more firepower.

At this point, we should be looking at FA to fill needs that will vastly improve this team immediately. This allows JD to use the draft to fill some holes but to also have those replacements when the time comes. Winning now and sustainability. 

I believe we're at least a top-3 option for all the QBs. If anyone isn't interested, it's because they want to play in a specific system and/or the location of the team fits their goals and family needs outside of football. We're able to pitch coaches that players seem to love and playing with G.Wilson, AVT, Hall, Becton, and potentially more next season. Add a pretty good defense on top of that. 

Once when we land a solid QB, that will make other free agents interested in coming for better deals. 

Pay Cut Candidates:

I have no knowledge whether players are willing to take pay cut (straight or incentive). Nor do I know of Jets' plan for those players.

1. DE Carl Lawson (15.4m to be cut completely)

He is still productive in rotational position but not for that price.  Cut it down to 6m base salary (up to 9m incentives)

I kind of hope he stays with Jets until his contract expires so that way Jets can pick extra draft pick for 2025 if signs elsewhere and Jets continue counting on kids to carry the team.

2.  OT Duane Brown (1.6m Post June 1)

I think it is good chance that Becton will be LT but with his weight and injury history I think it is good idea to have him sticking around.  Kind of silly to cut him loose and later re-sign him. Unless he decides to hang cleats up, of course.

I portray him as reserve OT which means the price should be around 3-4m base salary. Full price if he starts more than 10 games. Saving 5m to start off the season.

3. WR Corey Davis (10.5m full saving if cut)

He is a natural material for West Coast Offense (Shanahan or not). His injuries made him look worthless. I have no problem to cut him loose but it won't hurt to ask him to dock down on base salary. Maybe 5.5-6.5m fully guaranteed base salary.  For that amount, he is worthy of every position in WR room if not full time starter.  Small change in cap space.

4. S Jordan Whitehead (7.25m to be cut completely)

His contract is minimal so I don't know if he can accept any lower than that.  Can try to split base salary of 6.75m into bs and incentives. I highly doubt it since he played almost every snap last year.  That would be unselfish of him if he accepted the money adjustment.

5. ST/WR Braxton Berrios (5m to be clear if cut)

Loyalty between Jets and him is as strong as an alloy. I don't know if Jets will ask him to shave down on base salary.  Maybe last year was a fluke. I would be shocking if there was a pay cut for him.

Spin this however you may desire but it’s telling. If the goal is playoffs and a super bowl you gotta go into either Buffalo, Cincinnati and Kansas City likely twice. Maybe even Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England or Cleveland. This matters, you can’t just ignore it though I’m sure it will be because of embarrassingly desperate this organization is.

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Spin this however you may desire but it’s telling. If the goal is playoffs and a super bowl you gotta go into either Buffalo, Cincinnati and Kansas City likely twice. Maybe even Pittsburgh, Baltimore, New England or Cleveland. This matters, you can’t just ignore it though I’m sure it will be because of embarrassingly desperate this organization is.

I can’t see the damn thing. Who is at the top end?

I know I'll talk myself into hope around whomever the QB is, especially Carr or Rodgers. I talked myself into Ray Lucas and Greg McElroy once upon a time haha. There's clear positives and negatives with every candidate and it just makes the picking and subsequent development of Wilson so glaring. At this point I'm just anxious to have the position filled so I can hope and dream about creative cap movement and filling out the rest of the team. 

36 minutes ago, xrade said:

I can’t see the damn thing. Who is at the top end?

Mahomes, Brees just below, Rodgers and Luck up there too. Also note Tannehill is next to Carr so I’m throwing him out now too. 

I think one of things people are counting on is Breece Hall leading this offense. I personally am not until we see him back fully from that injury. Gotta give the time to find himself. Pair that with us no OL right now. The offense is a mess right now and the staff isn’t exactly something to be excited about.

Has everybody had enough of all these hypothetical trades & moves by all these sports media guys who don't know what they are talking about. All we can do now is sit and wait for some other player or team to make a move. Sure it is painful but what can we do? The worst thing that could happen is for this quest for a QB liligers on for weeks or even for a month.

Edited by doumeyer