2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

Umm….because it the Jets. The franchise that snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. 

Sad but true.

This is why I find it comical how we really haven’t had a QB of level of guys we’re talking about getting with Rodgers and Carr and to see guys even say they wouldn’t take either for different reasons.

There’s no franchise starved for a QB more than we are. That has to be taken into consideration as well as out playoff drought. 

11 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

I much rather just go ahead and sign Carr. We will then have our draft picks and we massively upgrade at QB. 

I don't want to give up our 13th overall pick for a rental at QB. 

We don’t know it’s 13 or 13 plus for Rodgers yet though. Maybe it’s less. Maybe even way less. Remember if he says he’s done in GB and wants a trade. GB doesn’t hold the cards anymore. The teams trading for him then do. So they can ask for 2 1st all day. But if let’s say us and LV aren’t offering close to that. That then is the market for him.

Derek Carr’s meeting and visit with the Jets “went very well,” according to SNY NFL Insider Connor Hughes.

ESPN’s Jeff Darlington added on Monday that the former Oakland Raiders quarterback's visit was “very positive and the Jets really believe that Derek Carr is the type of quarterback that can lead them to a potential championship.”

Carr plans to go through the full process of visits before deciding and he wants to have everything done by the start of free agency so that he can help recruit.

Sounds like he will visit a few more teams no matter what. Carr should be the guy I think. He wants to win so bad. 

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya we have no report as to what Carr wants contract wise. That’s a big thing that really hasn’t been a toooc. He might be asking for something crazy. Making a Rodgers trade not as bad.

I'd imagine it's a three year deal in the 33-37M APY range.

Just now, jetfuel34 said:

That is what I figured mid 30's. I could see it as high as 40 if someone wants him bad. 

I'm not sure who could pay him more but I also don't think his next move will be all about the money. I also don't think APY will be that important to him either, after how everything transpired with us I think GTD money will be the focus. 

He and his family have said that they want to go somewhere stable where he'll have a chance to win immediately. And when you look around the league the only three teams that really look like they can give him that are the Saints, Buccaneers, and Jets. Two of those teams have lame duck head coaches and have to do roster gymnastics to make it work. The Jets have Todd Downing on staff now (Carr's boy) and one of the emerging young coaches in the league. DA/Bowles might not even make it through next season and both of those teams seem like they're better off trying to rebuild than they would be trying to compete now.

On 2/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, JetsandI said:

Pay Cut Candidates:

I have no knowledge whether players are willing to take pay cut (straight or incentive). Nor do I know of Jets' plan for those players.

1. DE Carl Lawson (15.4m to be cut completely)

He is still productive in rotational position but not for that price.  Cut it down to 6m base salary (up to 9m incentives)

I kind of hope he stays with Jets until his contract expires so that way Jets can pick extra draft pick for 2025 if signs elsewhere and Jets continue counting on kids to carry the team.

2.  OT Duane Brown (1.6m Post June 1)

I think it is good chance that Becton will be LT but with his weight and injury history I think it is good idea to have him sticking around.  Kind of silly to cut him loose and later re-sign him. Unless he decides to hang cleats up, of course.

I portray him as reserve OT which means the price should be around 3-4m base salary. Full price if he starts more than 10 games. Saving 5m to start off the season.

3. WR Corey Davis (10.5m full saving if cut)

He is a natural material for West Coast Offense (Shanahan or not). His injuries made him look worthless. I have no problem to cut him loose but it won't hurt to ask him to dock down on base salary. Maybe 5.5-6.5m fully guaranteed base salary.  For that amount, he is worthy of every position in WR room if not full time starter.  Small change in cap space.

4. S Jordan Whitehead (7.25m to be cut completely)

His contract is minimal so I don't know if he can accept any lower than that.  Can try to split base salary of 6.75m into bs and incentives. I highly doubt it since he played almost every snap last year.  That would be unselfish of him if he accepted the money adjustment.

5. ST/WR Braxton Berrios (5m to be clear if cut)

Loyalty between Jets and him is as strong as an alloy. I don't know if Jets will ask him to shave down on base salary.  Maybe last year was a fluke. I would be shocking if there was a pay cut for him.

I like Davis, love where his head is at as far as being a player is concerned. He's made some big plays, the only down side is he injured or has been injured so often. Berrios after 2021 I thought was an ascending player, but this year was a major disappointment. Not sure if they keep him, trade him, cut him, or adjust his salary. 

9 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

I much rather just go ahead and sign Carr. We will then have our draft picks and we massively upgrade at QB. 

I don't want to give up our 13th overall pick for a rental at QB. 

Me too, it will kill me to give up that 13 overall pick in the draft. It will screw up our entire draft. That is why i am leaning towards Carr,, Is Rodgerts a better QB of course. But he is 39 year old and who knows how long he will be around. But Carr still could be a real good QB for us.

Edited by doumeyer

Reports are that Carr’s visit went great with us. Seems he had the agenda of regardless wanting to visit several team as and then sit down with his family and decide. So I expect his situation to not be resolved until next week. I assume he goes on at least 1-2 more visits so figure that takes at least a week. But he has said he will decide pre FA so it can help in FA recruiting other players.

Rodgers should announce any day his plans. And we will see how fast that moves. He has said he doesn’t want it to drag out if the situation is a trade. So I expect actually Rodgers to get traded before Carr decides.

These reports about carrs meetings ng going well feel a lot like a smokescreen.

Carr is going to want a bidding war and the Jets want the Rodgers situation resolved quickly and probably at a lower trade cost.

By leaking out the the Jets/Carr meeting went well, Carr can leverage Jets interest into higher bids from other teams and Jets can leverage possibly of Carr signing with them against the Packers to get a deal done quicker/cheaper.

• Like 1