2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

The biggest misconception is us being a QB away. But we’re going to operate like it so bringing in any of these high priced guys comes at the cost of depth since we’ll have to cut guys to make the numbers work meaning our only potential upgrades will come through the draft and minimum deals.

Say we trade for Rodgers, we’re definitely losing a premium pick(s).

Gotta cut Davis, Lawson, Berrios, Whitehead most likely. A few restructures(Mosley, JFM), Qs new deal.

In house free agents include Quincy, Huff, Herbig, Rankins, McGovern, Thomas

Rodgers wants Cobb, Lazard, Bakhtiari to come with him as well. 

Mind you the Packers didn’t even make the playoffs last year. 

I’m really not optimistic about next year and I usually am. Maybe it’ll be the year since I finally have low expectations.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The biggest misconception is us being a QB away. But we’re going to operate like it so bringing in any of these high priced guys comes at the cost of depth since we’ll have to cut guys to make the numbers work meaning our only potential upgrades will come through the draft and minimum deals.

Gotta cut Davis, Lawson, Berrios, Whitehead most likely. A few restructures(Mosley, JFM), Qs new deal.

I’m really not optimistic about next year and I usually am. Maybe it’ll be the year since I finally have low expectations.

Yeah I hate to say it but I agree. We are going to make a stupid move and its going to set us back yet again. At least we have some real building blocks for once? I think they actually keep the GM but I think Saleh is a goner unless we have a winning season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Greene N White said:

So because I don't think that a player who hasn't played a single snap of NFL football is good I don't know football? 

I've probably watched far more CJ stroud games than you over the past two years and from what I've gathered he is not good. He ranked 97th out of 144 when under pressure according to PFF. This man was throwing to 4 first round picks in his 2 years at Ohio State and still didn't win anything. His WRs were so good that top 10 NFL draft pick Jameson Williams had to transfer because he couldn't even get on the field. He had a significant advantage at every single position across the board when facing 99% of teams. Despite this he loses to Michigan not once but twice? After every single ohio state qb beat them over the past decade. And not to mention none of those guys were even good in the pros? YouNow I know a prospect shouldn't necessarily be held to a level of team success but I think it's a valid point.

Going back to the pressure thing, how are you rated 97th out of 144 when being pressured when you legitimately have an advantage at every single matchup on the field?

Yeah he's not that good. He just had an incredible supporting cast and inflated his stats significantly. I'm all set on him.

But because I don't like a certain prospect I don't know football. Gotcha

The fact that you're opening up your argument with PFF stats... yikes.

I hate the argument that a guy isn't good just because they had talent around them. I guess Joe Burrow couldn't have been good on his own at LSU just because he had Ja'Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson catching passes. Like it's his fault that OSU had good receivers. Yet when Stroud is without GW, Olave, JSN and Marvin Harrison Jr. against Georgia, the best defense in the country, he damn near beats them singlehandedly in a stellar performance.

You hold those Michigan losses against him as if A) he played poorly in those two games and B) he didn't just happen to run into the two best Michigan teams of the decade... he played decent enough in both games to not be scared off and overlook the rest of his career, and don't act like Fields did anything special because he played a much lesser Michigan squad just once back in 2019. Stroud is without a doubt the better passer compared to Fields. He went over 300 yards passing in 15 games in college out of 25 games, Fields did that in just 7 of 22 games. Stroud also went over 400 four times which Fields has never done, and threw for 573 against Utah. The kid is a stud and I'd take him over just about every other available option at QB.

36 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Yeah I hate to say it but I agree. We are going to make a stupid move and its going to set us back yet again. At least we have some real building blocks for once? I think they actually keep the GM but I think Saleh is a goner unless we have a winning season. 

This is why I want to try with a rookie again... just look at the remaining playoff teams

KC: Mahomes -> home grown talent, traded up to #10 overall

CIN: Burrow -> lucked into #1 overall pick

PHI: Hurts -> A shrewd GM in Howie Roseman took a gamble on a 2nd round QB shortly after investing heavily into a #2 overall pick and it paid off

SF: Purdy -> Doing the least to carry his team, but SF still drafted him

Edited by jetjuice

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

This is why I want to try with a rookie again... just look at the remaining playoff teams

KC: Mahomes -> home grown talent, traded up to #10 overall

CIN: Burrow -> lucked into #1 overall pick

PHI: Hurts -> A shrewd GM in Howie Roseman took a gamble on a 2nd round QB shortly after investing heavily into a #2 overall pick and it paid off

SF: Purdy -> Doing the least to carry his team, but SF still drafted him

I want to keep going the draft and develop route until one hits.

• Like 1

OUR BOARD IS SO DIVIDED ON WHAT WE SHOULD DO TO GET A QB, seems like everybody had a different way we should go. If anybody thinks things are going to change because we get a new OC they better think again. Nothing is going to change till we get a real NFL QB. A great QB makes everybody looks like a Genius. I would love to sit in the meeting with Woody & Joe Douglas to hear what they are trying to do. 

9 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

The Rodgers situation is tricky. The trade value is high now. But I can see that lowering. Cant see them getting multiple high picks for a 39 year old. They don't have to accept a trade. But let's say we offer a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year that can move to a 2nd based on how far we go. I could get behind that and I could see them doing that as well. Regarding the cap to fit him in... the guys you mentioned did very little for us. So I'm not that worried about that. We aren't having to cut big time valuable players for us. Signing Q actually will probably save us cap this year the way JD would draw up his contract. I'm also not totally sold that Rodgers wants all those guys to join him. While Rodgers can be a tool. I think him saying all those guys he wants GB to keep. Is him just trying to look out for "his" guys getting paid. Something Wilson should probably take notes on. Being a good teammate and having accountability. 

I think Aaron Rodgers being a Jet is about 70-30. When Joe Namath said if Aaron Rodgers came to the jets he would let him wear number 12. I would cross Jacoby B, Gardner M, and all these other low level starters off the list. They are going big. I would rarher sign White than have these guys. The only low level guy I see they might bring in if they miss big time is Baker Mayfield. He has the name and high draft stat to his name. I'm still thinking JD does something crazy out of left field. The Jets might even trade up in the draft if Strout, or Young fall a few spots. I hope it is not a T. Lance trade. I think he sucks and is worse than Wilson and that is saying a lot. This is why EVER year you should draft a QB late and let them sit a year or two and see how they look. That way if your starter goes down or wants big money you have a guy that can step in that knows the system and is young. Will Rodgers is the guy I see who can sit for a few years and would be a very good starter. The great GM of the Packers Wolf use to do this all the time. He always had 3 QB's who could step in and win games. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Cone on he lost his best receivers to FA last year and he was very unhappy with the moves the Packer front office made before the start of the la 2022 season 

He lost Davante Adams.  Last I checked, we don't have a Davante Adams.  The point is he is not the great QB of 2 or 3 seasons ago.  Chances are his best days are behind him regardless of the talent around him.  What we saw this year is probably his new norm.  I just do not see this as an option considering the $ and draft picks we would need to spend.  Couple that with his **** attitude and wondering if he will play in 2024 and it would be a bad move.

RIGHT NOW All the post i have been reading all have good points. The only thing is for sure the deal whatever it is will be Woody Johson decision with Douglas help. Woody has had a belly full of losing and no way he is going to sit thru another 4-13 season, and that will happen if we don't a QB. So beware we don't have any idea what his next move is. There is a strong chance this whole deal might not end pretty.

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

RIGHT NOW All the post i have been reading all have good points. The only thing is for sure the deal whatever it is will be Woody Johson decision with Douglas help. Woody has had a belly full of losing and no way he is going to sit thru another 4-13 season, and that will happen if we don't a QB. So beware we don't have any idea what his next move is. There is a strong chance this whole deal might not end pretty.

There is no doubt we will have a new QB under C this season considering Zach is the only QB on the roster right now and he isn't playing, let alone starting.  I am all for drafting a QB for the future just not this year.  I say this for two reasons.  The first is that I have not fully given up on Zach.  He should be treated as a rookie and be "developed".  This appears to be the approach Saleh wants to take.  The second is that we will not start any rookie because of the need to win.  This rules out picking a rookie high in the draft.  Maybe a day 3 pick as a dart throw.  This all leads to signing or trading for a vet.  Who that is is the majority of the debate here.  There is also the very small possibility of MFW, but I really think that ship has sailed.