2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

7 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Rodgers most likely wouldn’t even be traded till after Jun 1, so we wouldnt even be losing this years picks for him, so can acquire him and still build up the roster more before he even gets here

I thought that too. But apparently not. It actually benefits GB more to trade him before that. Something about like 17mill

of his deal would go against the cap if he was traded after June 1st. So expect a move sooner rather than later.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I thought that too. But apparently not. It actually benefits GB more to trade him before that. Something about like 17mill

of his deal would go against the cap if he was traded after June 1st. So expect a move sooner rather than later.

nope.

That 59m bonus will be added to 2023 once he is on the roster for regular season.  It is transferable so Packers can get rid of it by trading him anytime this off season.  However, Packers are better off to trade him after June 1 (15m vs 40m in dead money).   Never mind if Packers don't mind swallowing extra 9m and be done with it.

Jets will deal with 59m bonus for 2023 and 47m injury guarantee for 2024. That is huge risk if Rodgers decides to hang up after 2023. dead money for 2024 is a killer.   Even worse if he breaks collar again in 2023.

3 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

nope.

That 59m bonus will be added to 2023 once he is on the roster for regular season.  It is transferable so Packers can get rid of it by trading him anytime this off season.  However, Packers are better off to trade him after June 1 (15m vs 40m in dead money).   Never mind if Packers don't mind swallowing extra 9m and be done with it.

Jets will deal with 59m bonus for 2023 and 47m injury guarantee for 2024. That is huge risk if Rodgers decides to hang up after 2023. dead money for 2024 is a killer.   Even worse if he breaks collar again in 2023.

Well a few GB fans explained it to me the way I had it. Not your way. So we should try and see what it is. 

14 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

nope.

I think I explained wrong.  I mean that bonus will be picked up by week 1, not on week 1. That means Packers can hold off 59m until the trade is complete by week 1 so Packers don't have to add this $$$ to their dead money situation.

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Honestly not terrible.  We need this years 1 for our OL rebuild.  Almost ripped you until I saw 15 coming back our way.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 2023 2nd and 4th, plus 2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if we hit the playoffs or becomes a 3 if he retires.  Probably not enough for you but I don't know what kind of leverage you guys have with a 40 year old QB threatening to retire so I'll start low.

Even 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is worth more than a mid-SRP plus a '24 3rd.  If Carson Wentz can fetch an exchange of SRPs along and a pair of 3rds, Rodgers is easily worth substantially more.

7 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I see what you're saying, but I'm not willing to trade two firsts for two years of Rodgers max.

At this point, I'm seeing 3 realistic options as far as improving your QB situation: Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, or Derek Carr.  Lamar Jackson is easily going to be the most expensive.  You're probably talking about 3 FRPs just to get your foot in the door.  And that's assuming that another team (likely not in the AFC) isn't willing to match the Jets' package.  You're probably also going to need to include at least one young player on their rookie deal. That starts getting expensive very quick.  And that's not taking into account the fact that you're going to have to sign him to a mega-extension.  That just seems expensive as hell.

Derek Carr is probably the best potential FA signing, and he's going to cost less in terms of draft picks (assuming he's not released) than Rodgers or Lamar Jackson.  But he also provides the least amount of upside.  If the Jets aren't interested in going for the best QB available, and going for a more reasonably priced QB then Derek Carr could be their guy.  I suppose Jimmy G could be an option, but given his issues in San Francisco that doesn't seem like the most prudent thing to do.

And I think it's very unlikely the Jets would deal 2 FRPs for Rodgers.  I think the most likely scenario would be a FRP in 2024 and a SRP in 2023.

7 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

That’s heavy mate. I don’t like giving up more than one first round pick. If the deal can be worked to trade for Rodgers BEFORE June that would enable you to not only get our first round pick this year (#13) but use the assets to improve your team now. 

If this drags on I genuinely think we make a move on Carr or Jimmy. The stars are aligned for everyone involved so I hope the deal gets done but I don’t want us to get ****ed over either on compensation. 

Good luck finding a starting QB for a single FRP.  Teams don't give up legitimate starting QBs for pennies on the dollar.  The only reason that you're getting Rodgers at a discounted rate is because you're getting him towards the tail end of his career.  You're running him out there for the next 2 years hoping you get a Super Bowl out of him.  If he was 4 years younger, the Russell Wilson trade would be the floor for a Rodgers' trade.

I mean, if you'd rather have Jimmy G than Aaron Rodgers as your starting QB go right ahead.  I don't think there's a SINGLE GM in the league that would agree with that take.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

At this point, I'm seeing 3 realistic options as far as improving your QB situation: Lamar Jackson, Aaron Rodgers, or Derek Carr.  Lamar Jackson is easily going to be the most expensive.  You're probably talking about 3 FRPs just to get your foot in the door.  And that's assuming that another team (likely not in the AFC) isn't willing to match the Jets' package.  You're probably also going to need to include at least one young player on their rookie deal. That starts getting expensive very quick.  And that's not taking into account the fact that you're going to have to sign him to a mega-extension.  That just seems expensive as hell.

Derek Carr is probably the best potential FA signing, and he's going to cost less in terms of draft picks (assuming he's not released) than Rodgers or Lamar Jackson.  But he also provides the least amount of upside.  If the Jets aren't interested in going for the best QB available, and going for a more reasonably priced QB then Derek Carr could be their guy.  I suppose Jimmy G could be an option, but given his issues in San Francisco that doesn't seem like the most prudent thing to do.

And I think it's very unlikely the Jets would deal 2 FRPs for Rodgers.  I think the most likely scenario would be a FRP in 2024 and a SRP in 2023.

I wouldn't consider Lamar a realistic option at this point, even if the Ravens were to trade him I doubt it would be to another AFC team. Similar to who GB is willing to do business with for obvious reasons. That's not even factoring in the insane cost that it would take to acquire him. Derek Carr is just meh to me, pretty uninspiring altogether. Same with Jimmy G, I said it earlier to me that's just accepting QB purgatory and that's not ok.

I see how you're using the Stafford trade for the framework for this Rodgers proposal with the future firsts. Stafford was 32 when he was traded, Rodgers will be 39 and has a high likelihood of only giving his new team one year of play before he retires. Contract status was similar. Rams also included a 3rd and Goff (who was not viewed highly at the time, more of a throw in). If you wanna say that the 3rd and Goff offset the 7 year age difference then I can sort of see where you're coming from, but I would feel a lot better if there were conditional picks involved.

Green Bay probably wants to get the rebuild going now while they look to see what they have in Love, so I'm sure they'll want the 1st rounder sooner, which I'm ok with. If we did something like a 2023 1st and a 2024 conditional 3rd that could become a 2nd, I could be swayed. Maybe include a cheap young flier who needs a change of scenery like Denzel Mims. The fact that acquiring Rodgers isn't as cap prohibitive as I thought is making me warm up to it. If you are right and it is a 2023 2nd and 2024 1st, I'd be ok with that too. I just see GB wanting #13 this year because the expectation should be that we aren't going to be drafting that high in 2024.

Edited by jetjuice

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Even 1 year of Aaron Rodgers is worth more than a mid-SRP plus a '24 3rd.  If Carson Wentz can fetch an exchange of SRPs along and a pair of 3rds, Rodgers is easily worth substantially more.

Ah the old well ‘if some other clown did it then I must do the same’. Every deal is unique and this one more than most.

Theoretically Wentz (who was 28 at the time of the trade) could have been Washingtons qb for a good 7-9yrs of the trade worked out.

In this scenario we would be looking 2 years at absolute best. Massive difference. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Good luck finding a starting QB for a single FRP.  Teams don't give up legitimate starting QBs for pennies on the dollar.  The only reason that you're getting Rodgers at a discounted rate is because you're getting him towards the tail end of his career.  You're running him out there for the next 2 years hoping you get a Super Bowl out of him.  If he was 4 years younger, the Russell Wilson trade would be the floor for a Rodgers' trade.

I mean, if you'd rather have Jimmy G than Aaron Rodgers as your starting QB go right ahead.  I don't think there's a SINGLE GM in the league that would agree with that take.

The only reason we are even talking about a trade is because Rodgers is not the guy he was and is nearly 40. 

He’s not four years younger though mate; a prospective buyer would be all in for two years max.

We’ve also got the 13th pick in the draft. If another team offers you 2024&2025 1st rounders they could be high 20’s+ so they wouldn’t even equate to the 13th pick. 

You’re mentioning the Wentz and Wilson deals and what they actually prove is they haven’t worked. 

And if it’s a straight up choice between Rodgers or Jimmy G under centre for 2023 then of course I want Rodgers. I’m massive pro trading for him.

However….under your guidelines….

-Jimmy G. $25m on a four/five year deal. No draft picks lost. 

-Rodgers. $31m (only $15.8m against the cap) two years max. And then multiple first round picks. 

That would then make me think twice.