1st 2023 Mock Off Season

Bobby816

So because we were in a playoff race until the last week of the season. My in depth look into the draft a FA is behind schedule. So this is rather a rough draft.

Like most my mock off seasons.... this is what I THINK will happen. Not necessarily what I WANT to happen. Along with being realistic.

Jets fire MLF and hire Joe Brady as OC. Brady was OC for that legendary LSU team with Burrow, Chase, JJ and all. He's been the QB coach for BUF recently.

We let most our FA walk like.....

Fant, Flacco, Feeney, Joyner White, Thomas, Curry

I have Brown retiring as well

Guys I have us resigning.....

McGovern Kwon, Herbig, Huff, Rankins

None of these guys will really break the bank for us.

Who I have us cutting are guys like...

Lawson and Davis

I have us restructuring JFM and asking him to add weight and move inside more.

Now to the Free Agents I have us signing. I have our needs as this. QB, OT, S, LB, DT, WR

QB: Jimmy G: I have us signing him bc he's familiar with the staff. Is an UFA, so he's the easiest to get. And he's the safest option for us to have above average QB play. His injury history is a concern. But that actually suits our narrative that Wilson isn't done here. He's an injury away from being our starter. But signing Jimmy G, for sure puts Wilson on the bench where he knows he's preparing for the season as a backup. No QB battle.

S: Taylor Rapp: He's a do it all S that can line up at FS for us. I'm going to give Whitehead the benefit of the doubt and say he was as bad as he looked bc of how bad the FS play next to him was. With Rapp signed. It brings out the best in both of them.

LB: Deion Jones: He's coming off injury so he shouldn't cost a ton. He's a speedy LB that can help us with our poor coverage from LBs and tackling. Mosley, Jones, Kwon is a good LB trio for us.

Those are the only big names I have us signing. Obviously I can see us making some other small depth moves, but this is it for starters really.

NFL Draft

1. Peter Skoronski (OL/Northwestern): Very athletic OLineman who will have versality for us like AVT. He can play OT or OG for us. Given our situation... I have him starting at RT for us. He's a very safe pick that can continue this rebuild of the OL that hasn't gone 100% to plan.

2. Calijah Kancey (DT/Pitt): This guy is quick and somehow only being 6'0" 285lbs makes himself slippery. Has a lot of a poor mans Donald to his game which is odd bc he went to Pitt as well.

3. Rome Odunze (WR/Washington): Taller WR to play on the outside and challenge Mims. Odunze is fast, but crazy agile as well. Has some of that GW stop and go to his game with his 6'3" frame. With cutting Davis... having a big body WR in here is a need.

4. Ricky Stromberg (IOL/Arkansas): Yes I have us resigning CMG... but not to a long term deal. Maybe only a year or 2. Stromberg also has versatility to play OG... but he will be groomed to be our long term C. He's a leader as well which is a trait we look for.

5. Jammie Robinson (DB/Florida State): I say DB bc Robinson can play all over the field. He can play SS, FS, NB, CB. SO he very valuable. He's not brought in to start obviously, but will hold ST a depth value for us. 

6. Deshawn Pace (LB/Cincinnati): Great coverage LB that fits what we like to do. Kwon's health cant be relied on and Jones is coming off injury. 

New Team looks like this...

QB: Jimmy G, Wilson

RB: Hall, Knight, Carter

WR: Wilson, Moore, Mims, Berrios, Odunze

TE: Uzomah, Conklin, Ruckert

LT: Becton

LG: Tomlinson, Herbig

OC: McGovern, Stomberg

RG: AVT

RT: Skoronski, Mitchell

DE: Huff, Clemons

DT: Williams

DT: Rankins, Kancey

DE: JFM, Johnson

LB: Mosley, Pace

LB: Jones, Alexander

CB: Sauce, Echols

CB: Reed, Carter

S: Whithead, Robinson

S: Rapp

As tempting as it is to fix the middle of the defense, I would LOVE Skoronski and Stromberg! Both have great versatility, Ricky is being slept on. Let’s us run back Laken and if he blows he can go RG and AVT LG. 

I am the biggest Deion Jones fan in Jets land so he’s a big target for me. I’d rather have Quincy over Kwon. 

I like taking a big WR and I’m not familiar with the DT. I’d prefer a big NT like Benton or Smith. If Siaki falls to us in the 2nd he’d be incredible. 

Not familiar with Rapp and there are a few 2nd round Safeties/DBs who I don’t want to pass on. But overall I’m good with it. 

I think you're fooling yourself if you think JD is going to go into the draft that thin at OT... he is a trenches guy, there is no way in hell he's going into the draft with just Becton and Mitchell coming off injuries at OT after watching two starters leave and adding zero back in FA. I see someone like Andre Dillard being a target for us, a former first round pick who was stuck on the bench in Philly, and if I'm not mistaken JD was a part of the front office that drafted him. 

We'd also be extremely thin at WR if we cut Davis (which I expect, been a total disappointment) and add no one else back. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if after filling all the holes on the roster that someone like Quentin Johnston becomes a realistic target in the first. Moore isn't a sure thing to become more than a slot WR/WR3 and we can use a big bodied guy. 

Other than that I like the approach and agree that it's realistic. Just think we will have more depth going into the draft and employ more of a BPA strategy like years' past.

• Like 1

If Wink gets head coach gig, Joe Brady will be his OC.

Jimmy Garoppolo is familiar with Mike LaFleur.  Jets fired him in your mock so I don't see that happen.

JFM should not add any weight to his frame.  He stays outside. His quick and speed look better with current weight.  Leave it be.  Find another DT.

Rome going NFL?   I am cool with it.

Jammie will win starting job in week 1. I can bet on that.

Stromberg in 4th round despite CMG is a good move no matter what.

I must say, and yes it pains me, but I am on board with Bobby here.  I am not too caught up on names beyond the first round hype guys but addressing those positions is spot on IMHO.  I kind of like  Duncan or Steen over Skoronski ATM.  If teams have no issues with him at OT, fine take him.  He is the top rated OT/OG so far.  I also don't think he would make it to 13 if he is projected to play OT.  I do not like CMG but unless we sign a vet OC which may be a little tough this year cap wise to address all the issues, rolling with him for a year or two is cool as long as we have a replacement learning and waiting.

Like @JetsandI stated, why would Jimmy G come here to play in a Joe Brady offense?

I like Rapp, Skoronski but dont think we cut Lawson and Davis. We're not in need of much cap space. Also do not see JFM moving inside full time. Johnson's reps will increase, hopefully Huff as well. With the way we rotate JFM has to keep his versatility, no need to pigeon hole him. 

I would sign up for this but I also think we are going to need to trim more salary to make this work. Jimmy G is getting at least $20m to come here and maybe more. Davis and Lawson are easy cuts but it is very likely we have to shed more than what you have. Overall it's a good mock regardless. 

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Like @JetsandI stated, why would Jimmy G come here to play in a Joe Brady offense?

I like Rapp, Skoronski but dont think we cut Lawson and Davis. We're not in need of much cap space. Also do not see JFM moving inside full time. Johnson's reps will increase, hopefully Huff as well. With the way we rotate JFM has to keep his versatility, no need to pigeon hole him. 

This is false. There is no way we can sign a single player, especially a QB without cutting both. 

6 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

This is false. There is no way we can sign a single player, especially a QB without cutting both. 

Well you do have the cap going up and I don't think no one knows yet how much. The big problem is Q will want 20-25 mill a year and he should get that too. He is the best DT in the league unless Aaron Donald comes back. 

Oh ya Kliff Kingsbery is out. Time to move on him now fire MLF and move Kliff in. 

8 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Not very many teams can offer him a for sure starting role. There's less than 10 teams that can do that and probably 3 of those are drafting QBs top 10 this season.

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

Well you do have the cap going up and I don't think no one knows yet how much. The big problem is Q will want 20-25 mill a year and he should get that too. He is the best DT in the league unless Aaron Donald comes back. 

Oh ya Kliff Kingsbery is out. Time to move on him now fire MLF and move Kliff in. 

They can get creative the way they can move Qs money around. Give him a big signing bonus to limit his cap hit early. For a young player like him. That's not an issue for us.