2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

Side note - if ARI goes in a different direction than Payton, the candidate list for ARI is pretty narrow:

Brian Flores (excellent candidate IMO, but are you going to pair him & Kyler together?   Sucks that first-year coaches are exempt from HK).

Aaron Glenn - DET DC for last 2 years isn't exactly a great record of DC success.   Again, HC involves a lot more than being a good OC/DC, but you like to see success/adaptability at a lower position

Demeco Ryans - by all accounts, he'd take DEN or HOU ahead of ARI (DEN seems like the frontrunner)

Ejiro Evero - I think he's a great future HC candidate.   Is this the year after only 1 year as DC?   Rising star, but very few guys get hired after only 1 year as a star coordinator.   But the pickings are slim here.

Vance Joseph - man, he was so overmatched in DEN.   And to be clear, his time in MIA and ARI as DC doesn't inspire confidence.  He has to be quite the ppl person and interview great - because the DC record is very mediocre.   And I can't stress how woefully outmatched he was for the HC job in DEN (I truly didn't think anyone could be less ready - until Hackett happened lol). 

If Ryan's out, then it's down to 3 guys.  Kinda crazy.

26 minutes ago, ClutchDJ said:

He’s expecting to go to a loaded team next year or something?

15 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think he's particular about the ownership groups of the teams with openings. It's not good for his short term prospects, but it's probably better in the long run.

He really wanted the DEN job last year.   He only interviewed with DEN last year, no one else.   

This year, he's widened the search, understandable given Paton isn't in control the same way as last year, and new ownership.    DEN never offered a 2nd interview, and IND chose Reich.    Arizona did have a 2nd interview - so in this case, knowing that, it's really him passing on ARI.

Time will tell if he's going to get a better offer than ARI next year - it doesn't look like DEN's as interested this year as they were last year (remember, Paton was leading the search last year, new ownership this year has made it clear they are running it with Paton's input, big difference). 

23 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Cards - Flores/Payton

Broncos - Ryans

Texans - Gannon

Colts - Saturday/Morris

FWIW, Morris not getting hired would be criminal.  Not his fault the Rams cratered; in fact, the D was solid even when AD wasn't playing.  That's a crazy piece of work, and suggests big-time adaptability.   And unlike guys like Evero, he's got HC experience, and by all accounts, is a different guy from that time.   That's the ideal type of HC candidate nowadays.

It's ironic, he was a hot name last year with LAR winning it all - but I'd argue his work this year makes him an even stronger candidate.   I love Ryans, but honestly I think Morris is even readier to succeed than him.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

So who is Arizona's guy assuming that they don't go the Payton route? 

Are they really going to fall back on Vance? 

Flores is the pick if ownership wants to make Kyler accountable.

Vance is the pick if they want to try for Caleb Williams get a "people" guy.   Qualifications on actual success be damned. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

They are telegraphing they've locked into Ryans as their top candidate. 

Obviously tough to say for sure, but Evero would probably leave in this scenario, no? I think the niners would be wise to hire him if that is the case. 

Really curious to see who DeMeco chooses to run his offense. Niners offensive staff was gutted last year by Mcdaniel, so I am not sure there are any candidates here that are worthy of that role. DeMeco should have good connections around the league though. 

I am going to be sad to see him go, but at least he is going to the AFC. He is going to make a team very happy.

2 hours ago, Trojan said:

You realize the Broncos ownerhsip... isn't the ownership that hired literally any of those coaches right? The Bowlens hired Hackett and the Walton's bought the team months later and then fired him months after that when he failed pretty spectacularly. This is their first hiring cycle.

Waltons may own the team but the front office is still mostly the same so again working relationship issues haven't changed just the rich people.

On 1/26/2023 at 6:24 PM, N4L said:

Obviously tough to say for sure, but Evero would probably leave in this scenario, no? I think the niners would be wise to hire him if that is the case. 

Really curious to see who DeMeco chooses to run his offense. Niners offensive staff was gutted last year by Mcdaniel, so I am not sure there are any candidates here that are worthy of that role. DeMeco should have good connections around the league though. 

I am going to be sad to see him go, but at least he is going to the AFC. He is going to make a team very happy.

Evero has a lot of 4-3 experience - so I wouldn't be so sure.    The Wal-marts won't be afraid to spend $, so they'd likely be happy to offer a boatload of $ to Ryans and Evero to stay.

One thing we should be mindful of - successful 1st-time HC's rarely become de facto OC / DC's (EDIT: in year 1).   Daboll specifically picked Kafka to run the O - Daboll didn't call the plays.   That's huge if you're going to be a first-time HC.   I would hope if Ryans is the DEN guy, he keeps 3 guys - Evero to run the D (so he can be the overseer, and just have final say on D stuff, but not the detail stuff), Rosburg to run ST's (and be a vet AC presence), and bring back Mike Munchak to be an OL coach (or co-OL coach with a young guy they groom).  Munchak ONLY wants to coach in DEN because he's got grandkids there.  It's the perfect fit (and one of the doomsday decisions Hackett made in not retaining him and hiring a completely unqualified disaster in Butch Barry). 

Edited by Broncofan
Forgot to mention the important qualifier - in year 1, fixed.

5 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Waltons may own the team but the front office is still mostly the same so again working relationship issues haven't changed just the rich people.

Actually, Paton joined the year before, and the FO has turned over significantly since 2021.    So even there, it's not the Elway/Ellis Bronco FO ppl have been used to.

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW, Morris not getting hired would be criminal.  Not his fault the Rams cratered; in fact, the D was solid even when AD wasn't playing.  That's a crazy piece of work, and suggests big-time adaptability.   And unlike guys like Evero, he's got HC experience, and by all accounts, is a different guy from that time.   That's the ideal type of HC candidate nowadays.

This guy gets it! Raheem Morris is the best candidate for all jobs. Even McVay thought he should get the Rams job if McVay stepped away. Hire my man.

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Evero has a lot of 4-3 experience - so I wouldn't be so sure.    The Wal-marts won't be afraid to spend $, so they'd likely be happy to offer a boatload of $ to Ryans and Evero to stay.

One thing we should be mindful of - successful 1st-time HC's rarely become de facto OC / DC's.   Daboll specifically picked Kafka to run the O - Daboll didn't call the plays.   That's huge if you're going to be a first-time HC.   I would hope if Ryans is the DEN guy, he keeps 3 guys - Evero to run the D (so he can be the overseer, and just have final say on D stuff, but not the detail stuff), Rosburg to run ST's (and be a vet AC presence), and bring back Mike Munchak to be an OL coach (or co-OL coach with a young guy they groom).  Munchak ONLY wants to coach in DEN because he's got grandkids there.  It's the perfect fit (and one of the doomsday decisions Hackett made in not retaining him and hiring a completely unqualified disaster in Butch Barry). 

But see Sean McVay and his entire coaching tree lol.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

This guy gets it! Raheem Morris is the best candidate for all jobs. Even McVay thought he should get the Rams job if McVay stepped away. Hire my man.

LOL the picks would be sweet, no doubt.   I'm sure that factors into wishing him well to other orgs lol.

(FWIW, I'm in same boat next year with Evero provided he stays with us this year).

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

But see Sean McVay and his entire coaching tree lol.

McVay also has that crazy photographic memory, able to remember plays from 6 years prior.   Exception that proves the rule.    For first-time HC's, year 1 having both OC (or DC) full responsibilities rarely goes well.

On the other extreme, Nathaniel Hackett couldn't even remember MG3 wasn't at peak 3 years ago and clearly must have thought Javonte Wiliams was Cadillac Williams.  But he's a lost cause so kinda cheap counter.

Better example - Mike McDaniel great work for the O.  But the game management, and the whole Tua situation - how much was being in charge of the O affect his issues on the HC side?   Without the McVay memory-ability.....pretty tough call.  Daboll's assembling of his staff is really the role model IMO.

Edited by Broncofan