2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

FWIW the lack of 2nd interviews booked in DEN really hints they are waiting on Ryans.  If CAR isn’t interested in the pick price / control Payton wants and Payton doesn’t want ARI could definitely see Payton back at Fox next year.  

I can’t imagine how NO FO feel if he’s on the sidelines another year.   Have to believe their price will come down next year (DAL/LAR will be the obv choices it won’t be CAR / DEN - neither can afford a quick trigger fire; next guy likely gets 3+ years barring Urban Meyer like hijinx).  

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

How often do teams that have "great situations" change head coaches? I think the biggest thing is going somewhere with a GM you believe in like Sirani with Howie, Kyle with Lynch, etc.

That’s my point. Waiting for a “Great situation” is to choose a HC job is nonsense. You will be waiting forever 

• Like 1

Just now, CP3MVP said:

That’s my point. Waiting for a “Great situation” is to choose a HC job is nonsense. You will be waiting forever 

I think a "great situation" is being able to work with a GM that you trust/believe in with a team that has a cornerstone or two, and either has a QB in place or has the draft capital to acquire one.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I can’t imagine how NO FO feel if he’s on the sidelines another year.   Have to believe their price will come down next year (DAL/LAR will be the obv choices it won’t be CAR / DEN - neither can afford a quick trigger fire; next guy likely gets 3+ years barring Urban Meyer like hijinx).  

I'm assuming that he's just going to be patient, none of the current jobs are really that ideal for him. And as you said he could potentially get hired by the Cowboys/Rams next year, I also wouldn't rule out the Chargers, and I think the Bills could be a dark horse as well if they come up short again.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm assuming that he's just going to be patient, none of the current jobs are really that ideal for him. And as you said he could potentially get hired by the Cowboys/Rams next year, I also wouldn't rule out the Chargers, and I think the Bills could be a dark horse as well if they come up short again.

I mentioned it b4 but bears repeating - as long as Spanos family owns the team they’ll never spend the $ he’ll require.   If they were going to spend the $ this would have been the perfect time to do it.  

The others are def in play for 2024 though if Payton stays in the booth this this year (although I think  McDermott is safe beyond 2023 unless they really regress in-season - then it goes to the top of Payton’s list <duh>). 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

FWIW the lack of 2nd interviews booked in DEN really hints they are waiting on Ryans.  If CAR isn’t interested in the pick price / control Payton wants and Payton doesn’t want ARI could definitely see Payton back at Fox next year.  

Great so he’ll be available just in time for the browns to fire Stefanski 

11 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They've covered all of their bases: their interim coach, a retread, and a young offensive mind.

If my team needed a HC this offseason, I'd want one of Payton, Ryans, Evero, Gannon or Steichen

Ben Johnson would also be a good choice but he stayed with Detroit 

Could totally be wrong ofc, but none of the other names are really inspiring 

19 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

The situation that reminds me most of the 49ers is the Texans. Like the 49ers, the Texans have also had 2 straight one & done head coaches and a previous toxic presence (Baalke in 49ers, Easterby in Texans) let go. If Cal McNair signs checks and stays out of the way similar to what Jed York is now doing, then that team can definitely rebound quickly.  

At the surface, this makes a TON of sense. I’m sure there are nuances between the two which create differences, but I like the belief of this.

Hey @Forge! Look at this! I’m a younger you!

• Like 1