2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

8 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wouldn’t KC block a lateral move (for the OC spots)?

He's not under contract with the chiefs next year.  The expectation has mostly been that he won't return to the chiefs. People weren't sure he'd be back this year. I don't think the chiefs want to be blocking him in that situation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's not under contract with the chiefs next year.  The expectation has mostly been that he won't return to the chiefs. People weren't sure he'd be back this year. I don't think the chiefs want to be blocking him in that situation

Yup this. Although I've read EB himself has blocked lateral moves to be OC in other places holding out for a HC job so I'd be surprised if he took an OC job 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Wouldn’t KC block a lateral move (for the OC spots)?

As long as he is under contract.  I am pretty sure his contract will expire once Chiefs season is concluded.  Not sure what day he becomes "FA".  

edit:  I stand corrected.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/commanders_ravens_interested_in_eric_bieniemy_for_oc/s1_14819_38397040

Edited by JetsandI

10 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

As long as he is under contract.  I am pretty sure his contract will expire once Chiefs season is concluded.  Not sure what day he becomes "FA".  

edit:  I stand corrected.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/commanders_ravens_interested_in_eric_bieniemy_for_oc/s1_14819_38397040

8 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

There were rumors last year that Mahomes and Bieniemy don't get along. So could just be a best case scenario for him to move on.

It's pretty clear Bienemy isn't going to get serious consideration as a HC until he shows he can succeed as an OC on his own.  Matt Nagy's spectacular failure has definitely given pause to ppl going after Reid OC's as potential HC's.     Maybe there's internal friction, who knows, but if Bienemy really does want to be a HC, he's going to have to succeed as OC elsewhere.   Kafka's success in NYG is already earning him interest, gotta think Bienemy took notice.