2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm rooting for Fangio all the way for 49ers.   Excellent guy, will get the most out of many of your players.   He's a little less aggressive on getting TO's (Evero preaches attacking the ball, Fangio was about making the tackle, and Fangio plays a lot of zone to confuse the QB, and generate incompletions, more than the attack style you see), but he's also likely going to upgrade your SF zone D a ton.   

The fact that Fangio going to SF and thus making it more likely Evero stays in DEN for 2023 (Fangio returning to DEN as DC under Payton would be mega awkward), and then gives us those sweet comp picks if he goes in 2024, has nothing to do with the above analysis...but it doesn't hurt it, either.   

Re: last 2 positions, ARI would be crazy IMO if they hired Vance Joseph as HC.   Same for Aaron Glenn.    The CIN coordinators, or Morris would be far better candidates, by a wide margin.

As for IND, I don't know how they get decently qualified coordinators if it's Saturday.   Steichen must have really been a bad interview to lose CAR's interest, but he would be the #1 guy to develop the next QB they draft - and frankly, even if that's all he does, it might be enough to justify the hire.   Very rare that the HC who gets the rebuild QB sticks around long enough to see the success.   Morris or anyone else they've interviewed has to be better than Saturday.   

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Re: last 2 positions, ARI would be crazy IMO if they hired Vance Joseph as HC.   Same for Aaron Glenn.    The CIN coordinators, or Morris would be far better candidates, by a wide margin.

As for IND, I don't know how they get decently qualified coordinators if it's Saturday.   Steichen must have really been a bad interview to lose CAR's interest, but he would be the #1 guy to develop the next QB they draft - and frankly, even if that's all he does, it might be enough to justify the hire.   Very rare that the HC who gets the rebuild QB sticks around long enough to see the success.   Morris or anyone else they've interviewed has to be better than Saturday.   

Lou Anarumo I assume will be the Cardinals head coach, that or Brian Flores.

No clue who the Colts will bring in if Jeff Saturday was brought in already, clearly they do not have great judgement and it is just what the owner wants.  

Vikings DC job no idea, I think ideally they would get Flores or Desai but both might be gone pretty quickly here.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Lou Anarumo I assume will be the Cardinals head coach, that or Brian Flores.

No clue who the Colts will bring in if Jeff Saturday was brought in already, clearly they do not have great judgement and it is just what the owner wants.  

Vikings DC job no idea, I think ideally they would get Flores or Desai but both might be gone pretty quickly here.

I've been of the mind that IND was tanking hard to finish as low as possible to get a QB, and Saturday went along with the plan, so they're just having a dog and pony (literally) show just to give Saturday some PR credibility for future hires, as a solid for him taking the brunt of the PR flak that comes with a FO tank job (players and other coaches never would try to tank, just the FO, and in this case, their patsy hire).   

But if the Colts actually hire Saturday...that org is just lost, as it means the owner is literally overruling on football decisions.  We know how that goes.

Edited by Broncofan

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I've been of the mind that IND was tanking hard to finish as low as possible to get a QB, and Saturday went along with the plan, so they're just having a dog and pony (literally) show just to give Saturday some PR credibility for future hires, as a solid for him taking the brunt of the PR flak that comes with a FO tank job (players and other coaches never would try to tank, just the FO, and in this case, their patsy hire).   

But if the Colts actually hire Saturday...that org is just lost, as it means the owner is literally overruling on football decisions.  We know how that goes.

If they hire Saturday it's pretty safe to assume that Irsay wants to tank for Caleb Williams like he did for Elway, Manning, and Luck. Might also be why Ballard still has a job; he'll need a fall guy for the "disaster" next season will be if this happens 

12 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

If they hire Saturday it's pretty safe to assume that Irsay wants to tank for Caleb Williams like he did for Elway, Manning, and Luck. Might also be why Ballard still has a job; he'll need a fall guy for the "disaster" next season will be if this happens 

Honestly, there's no guarantee that you'll get 1.1.     Trade up to 1.1 and get your guy now (unless you are completely sold no one is there).   

The problem with a Saturday hire is that everyone, including the players & other coaches, know he's incompetent at this stage.    He might have been OK with some experience, but he's in over his head, and it's too far gone now.    It would have been like if DEN decided Hackett needed a 2nd year.    The damage you do to your org is massive and not easily repaired quickly.

It's one thing to have a team be awful, and then the FO decides to pack it in for that year.   Or for a FO to make a massive mistake in who they hire.    To deliberately torch a year with the HC hire, it's an awful message.    That's how you drive away fans, and destroy the org's ability to hire / retain talent down the line.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, there's no guarantee that you'll get 1.1.     Trade up to 1.1 and get your guy now (unless you are completely sold no one is there).   

The problem with a Saturday hire is that everyone, including the players & other coaches, know he's incompetent at this stage.    He might have been OK with some experience, but he's in over his head, and it's too far gone now.    It would have been like if DEN decided Hackett needed a 2nd year.    The damage you do to your org i

It's one thing to have a team be awful, and then the FO decides to pack it in for that year.   Or for a FO to make a massive mistake in who they hire.    To deliberately torch a year with the HC hire, it's an awful message.    That's how you drive away fans, and destroy the org's ability to hire / retain talent down the line.

Oh I agree, I never said it was a good plan but it seems to fit within Irsay's MO

17 minutes ago, jonnguy2015 said:

Drake Maye is right there with Caleb Williams for next years QB class.  And if that is the case what do they do in this draft, trade the pick because they will get Bryce Young or more likely CJ Stroud at that 4th pick.  

Will Anderson Jr Alabama JR DE/OLB
Bryce Young Alabama JR QB
Jalen Carter Georgia JR DT
CJ Stroud Ohio State RS SOPH QB

Unless someone gets hurt or times poorly, these are the first four players selected in the draft, order might change but these guys are going most likely so what the Colts do not take Stroud then?  Trade they pick I guess.

Saturday did not do well but to that teams credit they did almost beat Phili 17-16 final score in his first game, almost beat Pitts burgh 24-17 in his 2nd game, should have easily beat Minnesota and should have beat Houston in that last game.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

One of the Colts podcasts I listened to was speaking on the HC search and potential QBs in the draft and they suggested that for every HC they could hire CJ Stroud would be the ideal QB, except for Mike Kafka it would be Will Levis. They compare him to Daniel Jones as a prospect and think Kafka’s impact on Jones this year could work better with Levis then Stroud or Young. 

Everyone’s hunch in Arizona is that Brian Flores is the leader in the clubhouse but we keep interviewing candidates in hopes they knock our socks off. A couple staff members have taken new jobs so I doubt it’s Vance Joseph. There’s some buzz around Lou Anarumo. This has been an exhausting coaching search given we’ve wasted time with candidates like Aaron Glenn. 

• Like 1