2023 NFL coaching rumors and notes

Forge

44 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

One of Steichen earliest jobs in the league working quality for Reichs offense. Now he has been with sirianni who came from Reich for 2 years as OC.

Really weird hire if they choose him. Like why fire Reich at that point?

It’s weird until you realize it’s a Philly thing. Hires Pederson a few years after firing Reid. Then hires Siranni after firing Pederson. Now it seems like the Colts want to do the same thing as the Eagles.

2 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It’s weird until you realize it’s a Philly thing. Hires Pederson a few years after firing Reid. Then hires Siranni after firing Pederson. Now it seems like the Colts want to do the same thing as the Eagles.

Nick Sirianni had at least never met Doug Pederson before. Also no one on earth thought Nick was the correct choice. 

• Like 1

So Sean Payton is interviewing Brian Flores for DC in Denver, and Fangio is almost assuredly going to Miami, where was Payton+Fangio dream match up planning to go when they leaked they planned on returning together? It's gotta be Dallas right and assuming MM was out and DQ would get a job elsewhere right?

11 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's odd. I know Murray can be a difficult personality, but he's not a bad QB.

Murray may not be a bad QB, but he is tied to the organization for longer given the new contract and that "handcuffs" HC/OC to fit their system to him vs having more flexibility

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

That's odd. I know Murray can be a difficult personality, but he's not a bad QB.

I think some would see the opening to move him before guarantees kick in and think, because he's a good QB, they could get a Deshaun Watson-y return. Get their own guy at 3 and use 4ish premium picks over three years to define the team as they want. Like at the interview I assume a coach pitches their idea on what they would want to do with the talent and resources and surely at least one candidate pitched a similar idea.

23 minutes ago, Trojan said:

So Sean Payton is interviewing Brian Flores for DC in Denver, and Fangio is almost assuredly going to Miami, where was Payton+Fangio dream match up planning to go when they leaked they planned on returning together? It's gotta be Dallas right and assuming MM was out and DQ would get a job elsewhere right?

Probably anywhere other than Denver.

51 minutes ago, Xenos said:

This is actually pretty normal practice.

Do you have other examples where a new coach isn’t sure he’s keeping the current coach, but doesn’t allow him to interview for other places? It puts Evero at a huge disadvantage if the Broncos go in another direction.

29 minutes ago, Acgott said:

Do you have other examples where a new coach isn’t sure he’s keeping the current coach, but doesn’t allow him to interview for other places? It puts Evero at a huge disadvantage if the Broncos go in another direction.

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do. But I remember the Chargers doing it a bunch of time because the new HC wants his own guy but the current guy is also pretty established in his own right. So if they can’t get the first choice then they keep the current coordinator. I think Lynn ended up keeping Whisenhunt as OC even though he interviewed someone else for OC. 

2 hours ago, Xenos said:

This is actually pretty normal practice.

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

44 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do. But I remember the Chargers doing it a bunch of time because the new HC wants his own guy but the current guy is also pretty established in his own right. So if they can’t get the first choice then they keep the current coordinator. I think Lynn ended up keeping Whisenhunt as OC even though he interviewed someone else for OC. 

At this point the only way this flies PR-wise is if Payton wants Evero as his DC as plan A.  There's nothing wrong with contingency interviews (Flores, Desai) in case Evero gets hired as HC in IND/ARI.   And if Payton's blocking the interviews with other DC jobs because Payton wants him as plan A, and Flores/Desai are plan B's he's figuring out in case Evero is tagged as HC, then it's all good.

Payton has the right to block interviews for sure, but it will be a bad look if he's not committing to Evero as DC, either.  The DEN insiders all say he still wants Evero - whether Evero gets the HC job, or Evero wants to stay (because Hackett and he were apparently best friends, that's the rub), that's what's unclear. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Xenos said:

You may be right, but I couldn’t find any articles referencing the Chargers interviewing someone else for OC. All reports were they would keep Whisenhunt. I’m doing a search now, as I’m curious what other coaches have done.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

At this point the only way this flies PR-wise is if Payton wants Evero as his DC as plan A.  There's nothing wrong with contingency interviews (Flores, Desai) in case Evero gets hired as HC in IND/ARI.   And if Payton's blocking the interviews with other DC jobs because Payton wants him as plan A, and Flores/Desai are plan B's he's figuring out in case Evero is tagged as HC, then it's all good.

Payton has the right to block interviews for sure, but it will be a bad look if he's not committing to Evero as DC, either.  The DEN insiders all say he still wants Evero - whether Evero gets the HC job, or Evero wants to stay (because Hackett and he were apparently best friends, that's the rub), that's what's unclear. 

Thank you for being the big brain here that this conversation needed...

The X-factor with the Evero process - IND/ARI.  ARI sounds like they'll decide pretty quickly.  But IND saying there's a possible 3rd round and 3-4 candidates to boot?   The 3 guys who get a 3rd interview with Saturday are all heavily in demand.   We don't even know who they are, since the last round 2 interview happens today (Steichen?).    LOL.

Once the IND process plays out, I'd expect a lot of dominoes to fall. 

• Like 1