Total Control Mock Draft 2023 - Discussion

Deadpulse

9 minutes ago, downundermike said:

By the time it is all said and done, I think this is the order of how good they turn out.

Levis

Stroud

Bryce

Richardson

That's fair. And there's so much projection I think any order with these four is fair and can't be cleanly disputed. That said, here's mine:

Richardson

Young

Stroud

Levis

Or, if it's easier, the exact opposite, LMAO. Here's the caveat. To me, the biggest wildcard is Richardson. The talent is absolutely insane. But he needs not only the right landing spot, but the right coaching, and time. He SHOULD NOT under any circumstances, see the field year one. He needs his mechanics rebuilt from the ground up. But his cannon arm, poise in the pocket and pocket awareness, ability to buy time, willingness (often overlooked) to keep his eyes down the field, accuracy on the move (at least more often than not), and HIS LEGS, my God...that is all insane. He just is NOT CONSISTENT, at all. But his decisions are not nearly as bad as people try to claim. And his accuracy is frequently quite good. It's just that the bad ones stand out. Again, his mechanics are not NFL technique. He needs that part added on. And time to adjust mentally. BUT, if all those things go right, he could legit be Mahomes good. 

And I think that's the thing that gets lost in these discussions. IN CONTEXT, going back, several NFL evaluators and front office people took two other QB's ahead of Mahomes. In context, there were legitimate reasons for that (not sure on Trubisky, but definitely Watson). If a GM is bold enough, you're taking AR for the same reasons. And it clearly comes with a level of risk. You have to trust your coaches, and trust your evaluation. But the talent is definitely there on tape. 

Fun side note: Just from casually watching him, and everything I had heard, I turned on his games to scout him expecting to hate him. But I came out absolutely blown away by the potential. Probably came close-ish to taking him 1st overall here, just for fun, and the reaction. The kid does some things no other QB in this class can do. Consistently throwing the football properly just isn't one of them, yet. But isn't that what NFL level paid QB coaches do?? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

That's fair. And there's so much projection I think any order with these four is fair and can't be cleanly disputed. That said, here's mine:

Richardson

Young

Stroud

Levis

Or, if it's easier, the exact opposite, LMAO.

I think Levis and Richardson are polar opposites.

Levis is an elite thrower, with a big arm and elite ball placement.  His issues are decision making, which is coachable.

Richardson has a big arm, but is not elite throwing the ball, and only so much of that can be coached.  You either have it or you don't.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

His combine numbers were brutal:

Measurable Measurement %tile
Height 5' 9" 7
Weight 184 lbs 16
Arm Length 29⅛" 1
Hand Size 9⅛" 47
10 Yard Split 1.51s 74
40 Yard Dash 4.51s 44
Vertical Jump 33" 13
20 Yard Shuttle 4.32s 17
Bench Press 18 reps 81

True.  His tape is so clean though.    Footwork is amazing in off coverage,   Clean breaks.   Sticky in coverage.    Not the best athlete, and undersized.  But i would bet on his attitude to overcome those two things.    Think he’ll have a Desmond King like arc. 

3 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Levis is an elite thrower, with a big arm and elite ball placement.  His issues are decision making, which is coachable.

Richardson has a big arm, but is not elite throwing the ball, and only so much of that can be coached.  You either have it or you don't.

And this ^^^ is where we disagree completely. I think NFL QB coaches do exactly this. They teach you how to plant your feet (which AR is horrible at), how to turn your hips, tuck your arm, convert footwork to hip motion, to release, so that you do throw a consistent football. The throws AR makes that are beautiful, are NFL level elite. But especially his inside the pocket throws, are rarely done with proper technique. He makes it up every time like it's the first time.

I dispute that if your issue is mental mistakes, that after 4-6-12 years of playing football, whatever it is, that a QB coach can approach a guy who makes mental errors and say "be smarter". "Think this before that". If mentally you aren't getting it, in my estimation, that's what they can't fix.

So in a very short period, we have solved why you and I have different guys at 1 & 4. At least we know. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, downundermike said:

The weird thing I've seen watching Richardson is that he has perfect ball placement on bombs down the field and terrible ball placement on throws in the short / intermediate areas.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The weird thing I've seen watching Richardson is that he has perfect ball placement on bombs down the field and terrible ball placement on throws in the short / intermediate areas.

this is what happens when you only know how to throw the ball as hard as humanly possible.  See Newton, Cam

One for everybody; on Youtube there's a channel called "The QB School". I think the guy might actually be an ex-player. But his Quarterback breakdowns are honest and thorough. And thorough enough that no matter how well you think you know a prospect he'll help you see something differently. Very good channel. Does pretty close to every QB in the class. 

I'm going to try putting a link in properly here. Wish me luck

https://youtu.be/Ignh6KTr04s

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Whew!  Was very afraid Tucker was going to get nabbed after we took Tyjae!

That being said, Brevin Jordan is now available for trade.

I would have taken him with one of my picks so you needed to take him there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RTTRUTH said:

One for everybody; on Youtube there's a channel called "The QB School". I think the guy might actually be an ex-player. But his Quarterback breakdowns are honest and thorough. And thorough enough that no matter how well you think you know a prospect he'll help you see something differently. Very good channel. Does pretty close to every QB in the class. 

I'm going to try putting a link in properly here. Wish me luck

https://youtu.be/Ignh6KTr04s

It's JT O'Sullivan. Yes, he's a former player. Started most of a season with the 49ers but was a backup journeyman for the most part. 

• Like 1

My board has been absolutely shredded in certain areas. I kind of had 3 positions locked in as likely to be taken with my three 3rd round picks and now I may just go completely different positions for all of them because those positions have been ransacked lol 

• Like 3