Titans hire Ran Carthon as new GM

-Hope-

21 minutes ago, Dbrog24 said:

Comp picks are the dumbest "incentive" I've ever heard of for keeping coaches. It clearly encourages teams to wait at least 2 years and make their club better. Anyway...hopefully he gets Titans on track again. He couldn't be much worse than Robinson.

I'm not sure how you think the comp picks work in this situation. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

If Flores is hired as Cards HC, the Steelers would get a 2023 3rd round pick and a 2024 3rd-round pick.

He has only been with the Steelers for a single season. The rule reads that a team must "develop" a coach/executive which means at least 2 years

https://overthecap.com/2020-resolution-jc-2a

The employer-club shall be eligible to receive this Draft choice compensation if:

• The minority employee hired as a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive has been employed by the employer-club for a minimum of two full seasons; and
  • The minority employee is not the Head Coach or Primary Football Executive of the employer-club and is hired into the same position with the new club. There can be no break in employment between clubs.

•  

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 2

49ers might have more comp picks from this program than the rest of the league COMBINED

Robert Saleh - 49ers DC to Jets HC

Martin Mayhew - 49ers VP of Player Personnel to Commanders GM

Mike McDaniel - 49ers OC to Dolphins HC

Ran Carthon - 49ers Director of Pro Personnel to Titans GM

And Demeco Ryans is still a very hot HC candidate 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

Isn't that backwards?  If the Cards hire Flores this year, the Steelers will not get anything but if they wait until next year the Steeler get comp picks. 

Unless it is meant to insensitive teams to  hire minority  coaches so that if they are hired elsewhere the team benefit.,

Yup this. 49erurtaza illustrates this perfectly how it can be exploited. Pretty counter to what they were going for with the rule...at least I think. I think comp picks even for players is dumb though. Why should a team get anything back for losing anyone to free agency?

7 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

49ers might have more comp picks from this program than the rest of the league COMBINED

Robert Saleh - 49ers DC to Jets HC

Martin Mayhew - 49ers VP of Player Personnel to Commanders GM

Mike McDaniel - 49ers OC to Dolphins HC

Ran Carthon - 49ers Director of Pro Personnel to Titans GM

And Demeco Ryans is still a very hot HC candidate 

I also have to say that it's amazing that the niners hired all of these people before the NFL implemented this rule. They are profiting from the rule, but only because they gave legitimate jobs to qualified people who happened to be very diverse, and not because they were chasing draft picks. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Dbrog24 said:

Yup this. 49erurtaza illustrates this perfectly how it can be exploited. Pretty counter to what they were going for with the rule...at least I think. I think comp picks even for players is dumb though. Why should a team get anything back for losing anyone to free agency?

You cant "exploit" this rule by doing anything other than hiring a group of people who are underrepresented and by giving opportunities to those who have traditionally not received them in this industry. No team is going to hire someone based on race, but they may *not* hire someone based on race. That is the key difference here. 

No team is going to hire a coordinator who is a minority over someone more qualified who is not a minority because they *hope* that guy gets hired as a head coach so they can get picks. Think about it, how many HCs are minorities? Tomlin, Saleh, Rivera, bowels. That's it. 4/32. (5 if you count Mike McDaniel) So by those numbers, it's unlikely those coordinators get hired as HCs. So you're really going to hire someone to run your offense or defense based on the those odds, in order to get a couple of third round comp picks?? No way. 

Comp picks for FAs was designed to maintain parity. At the time they were worried one team would sign all the FAs and it would hurt the league. Remember, there was no salary cap back then. So, they wanted to ensure that teams who lost players could replace them. Some teams, like the ravens, work the system, but it's not as though the ravens have been juggernauts, even though they've been successful for a while. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

You cant "exploit" this rule by doing anything other than hiring a group of people who are underrepresented and by giving opportunities to those who have traditionally not received them in this industry. No team is going to hire someone based on race, but they may *not* hire someone based on race. That is the key difference here. 

No team is going to hire a coordinator who is a minority over someone more qualified who is not a minority because they *hope* that guy gets hired as a head coach so they can get picks. Think about it, how many HCs are minorities? Tomlin, Saleh, Rivera, bowels. That's it. 4/32. (5 if you count Mike McDaniel) So by those numbers, it's unlikely those coordinators get hired as HCs. So you're really going to hire someone to run your offense or defense based on the those odds, in order to get a couple of third round comp picks?? No way. 

Comp picks for FAs was designed to maintain parity. At the time they were worried one team would sign all the FAs and it would hurt the league. Remember, there was no salary cap back then. So, they wanted to ensure that teams who lost players could replace them. Some teams, like the ravens, work the system, but it's not as though the ravens have been juggernauts, even though they've been successful for a while. 

I didn't actually know about the comp pick history. That's good info...it also shows me it's an archaic system that doesn't apply as much anymore. I could at least see where people could try to argue it though.

1st point, again 49erurtaza shows how the system can absolutely be exploited. Some teams clearly do have an inclination to hire someone in part because of the rule, which specifies race. Why would your example even be hiring a minority over someone more qualified? These situations would be if you have two candidates that are similar, you would honestly have pretty bad management to not choose the minority candidate. For one, they could turn out amazing and you do whatever you can to keep them. On the other hand, if you lose them you would get picks (this is the potential benefit you wouldn't get with a different hire). So again it's not hiring with the intention of them getting poached, it's more of an insurance policy that if they do, you get something back. Btw, specifically Black assistant coaches are roughly 35-40% of the NFL so those could certainly be in line for an upgrade...it's not nearly as rare as you're making it sound.

Edited by Dbrog24