Justin Jefferson: What more in Year 4?

vike daddy

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s funny talking about a 2,000 yard season for Jefferson, and I’m expecting a significant decrease in receiving yards this coming season. 

I agree.  Eventually, he'll come down...what he's done is just not sustainable.  I'm certain he'll have at least 1 more year in his career that he'll be able to threaten it, if not surpass it, because he's still so young, but I don't think we should expect it.  If he can consistently get in the 1300-1500 yds category every year, that's good enough.  Not that I want to necessarily compare them, but Jerry Rice only got to 1800+ yds 1 time (at age 33), but he got 1200+ yds 10 out of his first 12 years in the league (ages 23-34).  Based on how the rules have changed to this era, to be in that stratosphere, getting 1300+ should be a good target for him, possibly even 1400+. 

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

An offense just isn’t going to be that efficient if one player is accounting for that amount of production. 

eh, you never know how it could shake out...

the arithmetic shows Jefferson can get his 2000 yards by getting, what was it, 118 yards a game? heck, the chips could fall that he's doing that in 5-10 plays a game. that leaves plenty of passes available to other receivers.

or, he has a couple of monster games, getting 180 yards a game, to boost his average and season yards. that's not out of the realm of possibilities either.

i just think in the second year of O'C's play calling, with a new weapon or two added in, and a better defense giving the offense more time on the field, we're going to see an offensive improvement.

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1

I don't think anyone expects him to sustain 1800+ yards or to challenge for 2k again, but it's incedibly exciting to know that we have a receiver who is absolutely capable of both. It's exciting to know that we have a coach who can scheme in a way that supports those kind of numbers, and it's exciting to know that we have a supporting cast that can pick up the slack so he doesn't HAVE to hit those kinds of numbers. 

I think it would be as exciting to have three 1000+ yard receivers and a 700-800+ yard receiver, and we have that potential with JJ, TJ, JA, and TJ.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s not even about sustainability, it’s about efficiency. 

An offense just isn’t going to be that efficient if one player is accounting for that amount of production. 

I think both are in play.  I agree with you about the efficiency part, but an offensive passing attack just targeting one player isn't sustainable.  There's a reason why JJ's production went down at the end of the year.  6 of his first 9 games last year went for 100+ (and another one was just shy of 100 by 2 yds) and only 4 of the last 8 did. 

Last year was also more of a boom or bust game by game, which signals that it's not efficient or sustainable.  In those 7 games that he didn't get 100+ yds, he didn't even get above 50 in 6 of them.

While he'll still get the lion's share of targets, I don't think it's at all sustainable for him or the team to expect him to get that high of a total again more than once or twice.  While Cooper Kupp's team got a Super Bowl on that type of resume, Calvin Johnson's never got close, and I tend to believe the latter is the likely result in 9 of 10 cases of that happening.

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think it would be as exciting to have three 1000+ yard receivers and a 700-800+ yard receiver, and we have that potential with JJ, TJ, JA, and TJ.

I'm not sure I'd want that either, because then you clearly don't have any balance to your attack.  Even the Greatest Show on Turf had the ability to run the ball. 

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm not sure I'd want that either, because then you clearly don't have any balance to your attack.  Even the Greatest Show on Turf had the ability to run the ball. 

Well then throw in Mattison getting 1000+ on the ground :)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

this is getting real confusing now... we have two TJ's?

and what about CJ?

Vikings receiver Justin Jefferson, the 2022 NFL offensive player of the year, stayed away from the team during the voluntary portion of the offseason program. He reported for mandatory minicamp, however, and when speaking to reporters he made something else clear.

Jefferson will be present for training camp, even if he doesn’t have a new contract.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/13/justin-jefferson-says-hell-show-up-for-training-camp-even-without-a-new-deal/

Jefferson spoke to the media after practice and explained his absence and motivations for this year:

• He was training down in Miami while fielding lots of marketing and endorsement opportunities.
  • The contract will come.“It’s going to come with the game. I’m just happy to be back here.”
  • The goal is simple. “We want to win the Super Bowl this year.”

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2023/06/13/vikings-justin-jefferson-mandatory-minicamp-super-bowl/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0Oakxg49od11qh9gK4uEW7kwsgNI3PPSHnjO1_Q5x0KhdI-9Rb2PdMfzA

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1