Giants Offseason Talk

Acgott

Someone on Twitter brought up that we actually have 2 years of control of Hodgins as well as Slayton and Wan'Dale. Hodgins is an RFA after this year, meaning we can put a 2nd round tender on him and keep him for just about $4 million, if we wanted to. We could be more daring and place an original round tender on him as well and only pay him around $2.5 mill, but that means a team could take him for 6th. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

How do you guys feel about Emmanuel Forbes? He's the player I'd be least happy with in the 1st, but now I'm feeling like he's going to be the pick.

What’s wrong with Forbes, besides the small frame? He’s a ballhawk and would fit in nicely as #2. I been seeing that DJ Turner is moving up boards as well.

27 minutes ago, Acgott said:

What’s wrong with Forbes, besides the small frame? He’s a ballhawk and would fit in nicely as #2. I been seeing that DJ Turner is moving up boards as well.

165 lbs is the 0th percentile for weight at CB. How can you play the run and make tackles at 165 lbs? As much as this is a pass first league now, CBs have to be able to tackle. I'm also worried he will get straight up bullied by bigger, stronger wide receivers in our division. How could he possibly handle someone like AJ Brown?

I hope that if someone in the 2nd tier of corners is seriously in consideration at 25, it is someone like Julius Brents, who is a big, tall, and long athletic freak who needs some refinement but has the tools to be able to match up against any outside receiver.

12 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

165 lbs is the 0th percentile for weight at CB. How can you play the run and make tackles at 165 lbs? As much as this is a pass first league now, CBs have to be able to tackle. I'm also worried he will get straight up bullied by bigger, stronger wide receivers in our division. How could he possibly handle someone like AJ Brown?

I hope that if someone in the 2nd tier of corners is seriously in consideration at 25, it is someone like Julius Brents, who is a big, tall, and long athletic freak who needs some refinement but has the tools to be able to match up against any outside receiver.

It would definitely be a concern, but with so many smaller receivers I don’t think it be the end all.

Forbes played in the sec and excelled, why hat because hes a little light.  Didnt stop him.  I guess people forgot about deion sanders when he got ran over by dave brown.  He couldnt tackle but he was a shutdown corner. Maybe forbes can too

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

Alot of sites have him listed around 180lbs. Is it possible he cut some weight just to be faster at the combine? I feel like 6'0 180lbs is decent size for a CB. 

6'0" 180 would be fantastic. He is not 180 though. Every college inflates the height/weight of their players. TCU had Quentin Johnston at 6'4" 220. He is actually 6'2" 200. Take combine measurements as a player's true measurements. Look at his arms and legs in his game tape; he's a string bean.

2 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

Forbes played in the sec and excelled, why hat because hes a little light.  Didnt stop him.  I guess people forgot about deion sanders when he got ran over by dave brown.  He couldnt tackle but he was a shutdown corner. Maybe forbes can too

He was playing against other kids in college. I don't think he can play at that weight successfully in the NFL, where he will be playing against men.

Do you guys think there is an off chance they end up cutting Leonard Williams? I find it curious they keep making these moves without freeing up cap space. They're going to have to do something and a simple restructure is not really an option. Extending Dexter Lawrence isn't really going to free up a ton of space. They can really only extend Leonard Williams or Adoree Jackson and I'm not sure they want to do either. I'm starting to wonder if A'Shawn Robinson is more a replacement than an additional piece. 

16 minutes ago, GMENNATION said:

Do you guys think there is an off chance they end up cutting Leonard Williams? I find it curious they keep making these moves without freeing up cap space. They're going to have to do something and a simple restructure is not really an option. Extending Dexter Lawrence isn't really going to free up a ton of space. They can really only extend Leonard Williams or Adoree Jackson and I'm not sure they want to do either. I'm starting to wonder if A'Shawn Robinson is more a replacement than an additional piece. 

Leonard Williams WILL be restructured in the near future. I fully guarantee that. The only reason he hasn't been restructured yet, as Dan Duggan has pointed out before, is that the Giants are waiting to see how much money they need to/want to push into the future before they do so. Do they want to push the maximum amount they can into the future? Or can they keep more than that on the books for this year? It's better to make all the moves you want, make the determination of how to restructure, then do it once rather than not take enough or take too much and have to restructure someone else.

With the additions of Robinson, Nunez-Roches, and Okereke - it's obvious the Front Office is strongly committed to turning around one of the worst run defenses in the NFL last year. As a fan, that's refreshing to see. It was one of the biggest things holding this team back. A much improved run defense would do wonders. Also, Beavers was a pretty good run defender. So he should improve it to a lesser extent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Acgott said:

Just give him the money he wants... But with incentives. Give him a guarantee number in line with the second tier of his position group. If he stays healthy and performs like the elite back that he should be, then put incentives make him the highest paid. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by w4rrior723

The schedule will be released next Thursday. Peter King mentions Giants/Eagles for the Amazon Black Friday game. Lots of speculation Giants/Jets will open up on MNF because of it being on 9/11. 

Jets likely primetime opponents: Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Cowboys, Giants

Possible: Dolphins, Chargers

https://twitter.com/peter_king/status/1652889486181711876?s=61&t=tus03feDbRZ35nlWoHPPOA