Jets hire Hackett as OC

adamq

23 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I think Carr could definitely have the best upside of any of the Jets' options over the next several seasons, but I think Jimmy would be the best overall fit given their defensive strengths. Rodgers is obviously the best option of the three in the short term, but would also be the costliest by far.

Will be interesting to see how they play it.

Jimmy sucks so I can imagine why a Fins fan would want him in NY.

Jimmy is a Shanny system player that every QB thrives in and he can't stay healthy on top of that.  I'll kick Woody straight in the nuts if we even entertain that scrub.

It's only

1. Rodgers

2. Carr

3. Mike White plus draft a mid rounder (I personally would like Hooker to sit and learn for a year behind White).

Jimmy doesn't factor into this equation.  White is basically Jimmy G without the luxury of playing in that system with that talent.

9 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Jimmy sucks so I can imagine why a Fins fan would want him in NY.

Jimmy is a Shanny system player that every QB thrives in and he can't stay healthy on top of that.  I'll kick Woody straight in the nuts if we even entertain that scrub.

It's only

1. Rodgers

2. Carr

3. Mike White plus draft a mid rounder (I personally would like Hooker to sit and learn for a year behind White).

Jimmy doesn't factor into this equation.  White is basically Jimmy G without the luxury of playing in that system with that talent.

honestly i'd probably fear Carr a lot less.

Rodgers would definitely make the Jets scary in the short-term, though.

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Shocked by that honestly.  Yeah I'm all in for Rodgers for sure.

Carr has more upside than Jimmy but he could easily be a disaster. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery, but he just didn't look good last season despite having a offensive cast that's better than the Jets could field around him imo (I don't say this as an insult to the Jets by any means, but its hard to match up against having arguably the best RB and WR in the game last season). With defensive talent like the Jets, the last thing you want your QB to be is turnover prone - and he's thrown 28 picks in the last two seasons and fumbled it away 6 more.

With Rodgers it's all about the compensation... if its as high as I'd expect, acquiring him could easily create a Super Bowl or bust situation over the next few years. I'm unsure if its actually wise considering their young talent could set them up for years otherwise, but a coaching staff & FO desperate to save their jobs just might pull th e trigger... and if it does get them a ring, it's worth it.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:55 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

I think Carr could definitely have the best upside of any of the Jets' options over the next several seasons, but I think Jimmy would be the best overall fit given their defensive strengths. Rodgers is obviously the best option of the three in the short term, but would also be the costliest by far.

Will be interesting to see how they play it.

I'm not a fan of Carr's fit with the Jets at all, he's arguably the worst cold weather QB in the league and extremely sensitive/a diva. The New York media would absolutely eat him alive.

On 2/1/2023 at 1:37 PM, ET80 said:

I’d personally look at Jimmy Garoppolo over both Carr and Rodgers - not as cost prohibitive as either (FA vs trade) and has familiarity with that coaching tree via San Francisco ties. He’s probably “pound-for-pound” better than Carr, too.

It also leaves a door open in the event Zach Wilson suddenly finds his inner Geno Smith and plays to those physical gifts he has. (It COULD happen).

That is the reason for Rodgers, potentially 2 years of him, could mentor Wilson.  Carr is a strong fit for the offense as well, WCO. 

Jimmy G is too injury prone for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

That is the reason for Rodgers, potentially 2 years of him, could mentor Wilson.

I 100% do not see this - Rodgers isn’t the mentoring type, you sort of see him getting threatened and very stand-offish with Jordan Love. He’s very much Favre’s successor in that respect.

4 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Carr is a strong fit for the offense as well, WCO. 

Jimmy G is too injury prone for me. 

I can agree on both of these points - these QBs have plusses and minuses.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I 100% do not see this - Rodgers isn’t the mentoring type, you sort of see him getting threatened and very stand-offish with Jordan Love. He’s very much Favre’s successor in that respect.

He's not even close to Favre in that regard.

11 minutes ago, CWood21 said:
14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

He's not even close to Favre in that regard.

So, he’s mentoring Love?

16 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think Rodgers was way more invested in helping out Love than Favre was to him, for that very reason, but the better question is: what makes anyone think Wilson’s a student and will take to mentoring/coaching? Dude’s made zero progress since entering the league and debatably regressed, losing the locker room in the process. 

Watching a HOFer practice and prep would be beneficial for absolutely anyone, for sure, but what’s Wilson shown that would inspire any sort of optimism that he’d actually take to it? Clearly did nothing for Brett Hundley, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler,  etc. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 1:01 PM, Yin-Yang said:

I think Rodgers was way more invested in helping out Love than Favre was to him, for that very reason, but the better question is: what makes anyone think Wilson’s a student and will take to mentoring/coaching? Dude’s made zero progress since entering the league and debatably regressed, losing the locker room in the process. 

Watching a HOFer practice and prep would be beneficial for absolutely anyone, for sure, but what’s Wilson shown that would inspire any sort of optimism that he’d actually take to it? Clearly did nothing for Brett Hundley, Ryan Mallett, Brock Osweiler,  etc. 

That'd be my concern, is Wilson really someone that would be happy to sit behind Rodgers for two seasons? And if you're the Jets do you pick up his 5th year option when there's a chance Rodgers could have like a $52M cap hit that same season if he plays more than two years? 

None of those guys were top picks that were viewed as franchise level talents like Wilson though. 

If the Jets trade for Rodgers you might as well punt on Zach Wilson like AZ did Josh Rosen. 

He will mentally check out knowing baring injury, he's not Starting or getting better on the field in the next 2 years.  

You're already talking about a QB benched for Mike White of all people. Who exactly is your #2 on game days? You sell him for a box of Juicy Fruits and if your Lucky fleece an Organization out of 2 boxes of Bon Bons as well and MTF on!

Both JD and the FO have to bite the bullet, admit you screwed the pooch and 🙏 Rodgers takes you to the promise land so everyone forgets.

That's said, he won't be Jet!