? GDT - Saints @ Rams - No Excuses Edition - 4:25pm EST

Dome

A few thoughts...

1. An 8 game win streak is a long one in the NFL... Long enough for this team to read to much into the press clippings and begin to think there more than what they are. Sometimes a loss is the best thing needed to be brought back to ? and get refocused. Payton even mentioned in his post game presser that he felt the week of practice leading up to this game was average at best.

2. The Rams are a very talented team who needed all they had to defeat an injury riddled Saints team in LA... I perfer to view that as a good sign.

3. Despite losing a starting DE and 2 starting CB's for this game, I felt our defense played well enough to win if our offense would have been better on 3rd down. Goff and those boys aint no joke and they smelled blood in our secondary and they went after us... For the most part I was impressed with how we were able to hold LA below there average and get a few key stops and force FG's. 

4. Brees still has the mind and acumen of a hall of famer but his physical tools are failing him. His arm strength is begining to be a major concern moving forward.

5. 2 weeks in a row our O-line has allowed far too much pressure on Brees. Granted the Redskins and Rams have talented front 7's but we must hold up better than that aganist the better defenses. Brees has a knack of pressing and forcing passes when under duress but he simply does not have the arm anylonger to get away with that anymore.

6. Can someone please put out a APB on Willie Snead... Amazing what a offseason DUI and hamstring injury will do to someones career in a contract year!

7. DeVante Harris... Please, just no more.

8. Im not making an excuse for Vaccaro here but even before the bonehead plays he looked sluggish and slow to me today. I highly doubt that groin is 100% and he likley gutted it out today due to the fact of Lattimore and Crawley being out. Not saying Kenny is a speedster by any means but it was clear from the start of the game that he wasnt 100%.

9. Kamara = Amazing

10. Sean Payton had maybe one of his personal worst coached/managed games aganist the Rams. Starting the game with 6 straight passes appeared to jump start a weird sluggish offensive performance (outside of Kamara) and it only got stranger as the game went on. As a whole the entire team just didnt appear to be up for this game from the opening kick off... I saw very little energy and passion from the players and even less from the coaches. This team looked ill prepared and unfocused.

Were we all watching the same game? I've heard "this isn't on the defense" and "our offense was horrible". The part about the offense is true. The defense, though....

Frankly, we go "lucky" this game wasn't worse. Brees was horrible until the final garbage drive, and he should be thanking the Rams defense that they can't catch. They had so many dropped passes from Brees. He should have had at least 3 picks.

Our O-line looked like crap and couldn't do anything right.

Our defense statistically looked better than they were. That was hard to type. The Rams receivers were dropping passes left and right. They were constantly open, and our secondary (including darling Vacarro) had no clue where to be.

Our front 7 did fairly well, especially considering they were being held constantly.

I knew the minute Payton said he "got a little pass happy" last week, we were in for a disappointment. His play calling was as pedestrian as I've seen, and his cute college plays won't work in the NFL.

This game should have been a 42-7 blowout. Not sure how we managed to keep it close.

I hope this team woke up after the game, because this was the worst performance I've seen all year by far. Reminiscent of the Vikings game, which was Harrisly painful too.  

5 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

An 8 game win streak is a long one in the NFL... Long enough for this team to read to much into the press clippings and begin to think there more than what they are. Sometimes a loss is the best thing needed to be brought back to ? and get refocused. Payton even mentioned in his post game presser that he felt the week of practice leading up to this game was average at best.

See: 13-0 to 13-3 to Super Bowl

The Rams are a very talented team who needed all they had to defeat an injury riddled Saints team in LA... I perfer to view that as a good sign.

Agreed. There’s no good losses, but this could’ve been so much worse.

Brees still has the mind and acumen of a hall of famer but his physical tools are failing him. His arm strength is begining to be a major concern moving forward.

5. 2 weeks in a row our O-line has allowed far too much pressure on Brees. Granted the Redskins and Rams have talented front 7's but we must hold up better than that aganist the better defenses. Brees has a knack of pressing and forcing passes when under duress but he simply does not have the arm anylonger to get away with that anymore.

Seems like everyone but Payton and Brees have realized we’re a run first team. Hopefully they connect the dots sooner than later.

Can someone please put out a APB on Willie Snead... Amazing what a offseason DUI and hamstring injury will do to someones career in a contract year!

Don’t think it has anything to do with the DUI and everything to do with his hammy. And maybe a little to do with losing Cooks, though the emergence of Kamara and Ingram should negate that quite a bit. 

Honestly why might get him cheap on another 2-3 year prove it deal because of this. 

Im not making an excuse for Vaccaro here but even before the bonehead plays he looked sluggish and slow to me today. I highly doubt that groin is 100% and he likley gutted it out today due to the fact of Lattimore and Crawley being out. Not saying Kenny is a speedster by any means but it was clear from the start of the game that he wasnt 100%.

Yeah you don’t just bounce back from groin injuries.  Should’ve put Vaccaro in the box and signed Collins or Revis like I was saying all week lol... Both of them are better than Harris and Vaccaro on the outside.

DeVante Harris... Please, just no more.

Payton showing once again he has no idea when to pull a player (Robinson vs the Browns) the ship was sinking and Payton didn’t bother even looking for the life raft. 

Kamara = Amazing

Understatement.

Sean Payton had maybe one of his personal worst coached/managed games aganist the Rams. Starting the game with 6 straight passes appeared to jump start a weird sluggish offensive performance (outside of Kamara) and it only got stranger as the game went on. As a whole the entire team just didnt appear to be up for this game from the opening kick off... I saw very little energy and passion from the players and even less from the coaches. This team looked ill prepared and unfocused.

The offense didn’t show up because they knew they couldn’t win without Lattimore and Crawley. Nothing like a self fulfilling prophecy to ruin a win streak! It’s probably why they practiced bad all week too.

The defense showed up, and despite the reserves poor performances the unit did what it needed to and held LA to below their scoring average. If the offense had hit its average mark we win that game, but they didn’t show up because they didn’t have faith in the defense that showed up better than they did.

That starts at the top, if we’re not showing up and we’re unmotivated because “boo-boo we can’t compete because we’re hurt so why even try” in the midst of an 8 game won streak that’s a leadership problem.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Our defense statistically looked better than they were. That was hard to type. The Rams receivers were dropping passes left and right. They were constantly open, and our secondary (including darling Vacarro) had no clue where to be.

That happens every game. Defenses get saved by the errors of the offense. Can’t fault them for it much like you can’t fault a team for only facing lesser opponents on their schedule.

And Vaccaro is coming back from a groin injury, that’s not really conducive to making a smooth transition back to playing, he’s been resting 2 weeks. Not to mention he was being used out of position far too often yesterday. This isn’t madden you can’t just stick a DB in a DB slot and get OK results every time. I’ll go ahead and give him a pass for a week or so. We all know how Payton likes pushing guys to play through injury (Breaux and Lattimore are recent examples, Lewis as well and Byrd a bit farther out) so maybe Kenny shouldn’t have been out there at all? Hard to judge him given the circumstances.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Were we all watching the same game? I've heard "this isn't on the defense" and "our offense was horrible". The part about the offense is true. The defense, though....

Ehhhhh, the thin defense that was supposed to be the reason we lost a shootout ended up holding the rams to 4pts below their average in LA. That defensive performance should’ve been good enough to win but the offense made sure it wasn’t.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

That happens every game. Defenses get saved by the errors of the offense. Can’t fault them for it much like you can’t fault a team for only facing lesser opponents on their schedule.

And Vaccaro is coming back from a groin injury, that’s not really conducive to making a smooth transition back to playing, he’s been resting 2 weeks. Not to mention he was being used out of position far too often yesterday. This isn’t madden you can’t just stick a DB in a DB slot and get OK results every time. I’ll go ahead and give him a pass for a week or so. We all know how Payton likes pushing guys to play through injury (Breaux and Lattimore are recent examples, Lewis as well and Byrd a bit farther out) so maybe Kenny shouldn’t have been out there at all? Hard to judge him given the circumstances.

Ehhhhh, the thin defense that was supposed to be the reason we lost a shootout ended up holding the rams to 4pts below their average in LA. That defensive performance should’ve been good enough to win but the offense made sure it wasn’t.

That wasn't a 4 point game though.. That was a garbage time TD and your offense was on mud the whole game. You can't say damm we lost a close game when it never really was. 

29 minutes ago, El ramster said:

That wasn't a 4 point game though.. That was a garbage time TD and your offense was on mud the whole game. You can't say damm we lost a close game when it never really was. 

Where did I say it was a 4pt game? You misread my post.

It was closer than it should’ve been against our trash corners and “mud” offense... which doesn’t bode as well for the Rams as you think it does.

3 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

Where did I say it was a 4pt game? You misread my post.

It was closer than it should’ve been against our trash corners and “mud” offense... which doesn’t bode as well for the Rams as you think it does.

At the end of the day a win is a win. If you want to claim a moral victory for not being blown out then god bless.. But we didn't mean our PPG avgs by 4 pts.

The saits true score was 13 PPG a far cry from their 30 PPG? 

7 minutes ago, El ramster said:

If you want to claim a moral victory for not being blown out then god bless.. But we didn't mean our PPG avgs by 4 pts.

Not claiming moral victory at all... 

8 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I don’t think you understand what TRUE means. Unless you want to go find out how many TDs the Rams have scored when up big and readjust your PPG as well.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Not claiming moral victory at all... 

I don’t think you understand what TRUE means. Unless you want to go find out how many TDs the Rams have scored when up big and readjust your PPG as well.

Like i said goff bless and good luck.. We're gonna get no where. 

7 minutes ago, El ramster said:

At the end of the day a win is a win. If you want to claim a moral victory for not being blown out then god bless.. But we didn't mean our PPG avgs by 4 pts.

No the Saints true score was 20..

Your LB was still attempting to cover and got destroyed by the best player on the field yesterday for the final touchdown. This whole concept of "garbage time" scores don't count is BS. Just look at last weeks Saints game against the Redskins. Pretty sure those late touchdowns counted as the Saints won the game..

Archived