What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Damn I just saw that they're seeking a similar package to what the Lions got for Stafford, lol.

It does seem they are thinking this is the same as just last year when Denver actually did offer them that and even a little more. Probably kicking themselves now...

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

Question: does Rodgers have a no-trade clause? I'm guessing he does(?).

He doesn't, but he essentially does. He can just tell any team that trades for him that he will just retire after the deal is made if he doesn't want to play for them.

• Like 1

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Playing the game of chicken goes both ways. The Pack can wait till the 1st. What if the Jets play the same game down to the wire? Then the Pack have to start sweating more and more.

Both teams have to make the move. Painting it as one side having leverage while the other is desperate to make the move is just not true.

I still think there's significantly more pressure on the Jets to get a deal done then there is on the Packers to trade him though. I don't think trading him really changes their cap situation this year one way or the other due to all the dead cap they'd have to eat trading him anyways.

If Joe Douglas doesn't land Rodgers, he's very likely going to get fired after next season.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

The fact that he's a future HOFer goes out the window the second he said he's not returning to the team and specifically will only go to the jets. As a GM it is your obligation to build the best possible team you can and accepting 0 compensation when you could've gotten something is a fireable offense as far as I'm concerned.

Then give a fair offer and he's yours.

Just now, Greene N White said:

The fact that he's a future HOFer goes out the window the second he said he's not returning to the team and specifically will only go to the jets. As a GM it is your obligation to build the best possible team you can and accepting 0 compensation when you could've gotten something is a fireable offense as far as I'm concerned.

You’re looking at this totally through one single scope, just like some of the Packer fans lol. 

The Jets are infinitely more screwed than the Packers if this trade doesn’t happen. The Packers lose some dollars and a draft pick that, apparently, isn’t going to be all that special anyway. The Jets have to field either Zach Wilson, a late round rookie, or one of the terrible QBs left in free agency.

Like, it’s adorable that you think not taking crappy compensation for Rodgers is fireable, but the Jets not ponying up a pick for the only decent QB to ever want to be there, and thus having to field the likes of Zach Wilson again, fine. Lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

As a GM you also have to get the most value out of your assets though, you can't just trade him away for peanuts. I think it will ultimately get done with both teams meeting in the middle. The Jets give up their 1st this year and a conditional pick in 2024 that can be a 1-4 depending on Rodgers playing time and performance.

Just now, Bullet Club said:

a 2nd or 3rd round pick this year plus a conditional pick next year is more than fair and we could even swap 13 and 15.

People saying it's going to be 2 firsts or a 1st this year plus a conditional next year are out of their minds.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I still think there's significantly more pressure on the Jets to get a deal done then there is on the Packers to trade him though. I don't think trading him really changes their cap situation this year one way or the other due to all the dead cap they'd have to eat trading him anyways.

If Joe Douglas doesn't land Rodgers, he's very likely going to get fired after next season.

And if the Packers don't move Rodgers you don't think Gute is on the hot seat?

It goes both ways.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Saga kind of reminds me of another New York team thinking they could low ball for a star or that they had the leverage when the Knicks tried to get cut in the Donovan Mitchell trade discussions.

Just now, NudeTayne said:

What is a fair offer, though? They might only have him for a year, maybe two, and his contract is huge.

A 2nd rounder makes sense. Jets pay a convenience premium to get him now, Green Bay gets a good enough draft pick back that it would influence planning.

• Like 2

I said this earlier in the thread but let’s look at how this goes on everyone’s side, should they not get what they want:

Rodgers: Doesn’t get traded. Has the option to retire, which he allegedly wanted a couple months ago. Has the option to stay in Green Bay, play or not, and collect a huge sum of money. 

Packers: Have to pay Rodgers a ton of money. Won’t get any picks in return (same as if Rodgers retired). 

Jets: Scramble to find a QB, of which there really aren’t any. 

The Jets easily make out the worst. Every side has leverage. The demand is super specific to the Jets, but the supply is super specific to Rodgers. Everyone loses if this doesn’t go down, but the Jets lose the worst.

Edited by Yin-Yang

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think the Jets are under significantly more pressure to get a deal done than the Packers are

Of course they are. 

This is what happens every time one party has control over the actual assets. 

And it's compounded when you examine the situations even a little bit more. One side is totally secure in their jobs and have two assets at QB they like. They have a surplus. The other side have a LOT of pressure to have a good season or they could lose their jobs and have no 'real' asset currently (their draft picks,.of course, being their asset which is potential - but not capable of affecting a season or financial return in the next two years like Rodgers would).

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

And if the Packers don't move Rodgers you don't think Gute is on the hot seat?

It goes both ways.

I think Jordan Love's performance will determine if he's on the hot seat or not. The Packers ownership / front office understand that Rodgers is a pain to deal with.