2023 Salary Cap set at $224.8M, $16.6M increase from last season

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This + our rollover cap should let us be spenders again despite Watsons hit.

After some moves, yes, but it looks like spotrac and otc have you over the cap still even with the rollover. 

But there's a lot of easy money to move. 

30 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

You’re correct, this guy broke it down nice for us

Just curious about Watson why would he want to restructure as his entire deal is guaranteed so no matter what he is going to get that 46 mil. Also 12 mil in cap hits added on to the other 3 years of his deal pushing it to now about 58 mil per year seems wild. Clearly it can be done but is it the right move to make?

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Just curious about Watson why would he want to restructure as his entire deal is guaranteed so no matter what he is going to get that 46 mil. Also 12 mil in cap hits added on to the other 3 years of his deal pushing it to now about 58 mil per year seems wild. Clearly it can be done but is it the right move to make?

I don’t know why guys restructure at all, but it happens.

Also, I’ve the read the cap might be 240-245 mil next off-season.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

For most players, restructuring gives them money now in a lump payment vs paid out over the length of a season if its a base salary restructure.

Would you rather get 90 % of your salary in March vs 17 weekly installments from Sept to early January?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I think most contracts have language that permits restructures without formal " approval " from the player

15 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Also, I’ve the read the cap might be 240-245 mil next off-season.

They restructure it cause that money they have set for base salary through out the year isn't always guaranteed by restructuring its essentially a signing bonus at which they receive the day they sign the restructure. It also shows that the team will likely have to keep that player for a longer period due to the dead cap it would accrue because of the restructure. With that said Watson is in a different payment format as hes the only one with a fully guaranteed contract so there really is no incentive for him to restructure, as all that money will still be going to him. Unless the Browns do not need him to sign off on it then Watson can easily ask for something in return, such as non guaranteed money (incentive laden goals for example td, passing yards, or probowl playoff milestones) to which he can request to be added to the contract if he restructures. I guess it just depends on the contract stating they have the right to restructure at anytime without his acknowledgement or they need him to sign it. 

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

I think most contracts have language that permits restructures without formal " approval " from the player

Yes this is what I would question because if they do not have this then there is no benefit for Watson to sign off on it without a new incentive to be introduced as his contract is already fully guaranteed.

18 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

As long as the cap is inflating, restructuring the contract keeps the total dollars the same but decreases the percentage of total salary cap spending that the player occupies.

Curious what kind of restructuring Watson could actually do to help the Browns cap number, seriously? At no point will Watson give up any of his Guaranteed Contract!! That's a pipe dream. 

Why would he want to push the numbers back, get less now more later, potentially add years? It doesn't benefit him. Browns FO created this 💩 sandwich and are going to have to eat it.