2023 Draft

THE DUKE

He's very experienced and seems to be a decent player. But he's also slow, unlike the rest of the secondary. 

Starting the draft with 3 defensive players is not a good decision imo. Our weakest starters are on offense. I'd rather have taken Brandon Joseph or Daniel Scott later on. 

DJ Turner is fine. There were corners around that I liked better, but I've seen enough other opinions that really liked the guy. And I don't see any misses on other players. 

I don't see a point to Jordan Battle we saw pretty clearly there's no three safety sets last year, and they just set themselves up with two new starters. It's not a need, and the position isn't a value position. Also, it does annoy me that lazy mock drafts wanted to draft a safety for us early and I thought that was stupid.

Weird that our needs are essentially the same as they were when the draft started. At least they hit one of them.

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Nobody thinks he can't play tackle in the NFL at a high level. It's just dumb to see a bunch of guys he dominated get drafted before him. 

It looks like everybody thinks that actually. It's not like Jones was a dominant player in college. I thought he was decent and still developing, but the league seems to have a lower expectation for him.

13 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

It looks like everybody thinks that actually. It's not like Jones was a dominant player in college. I thought he was decent and still developing, but the league seems to have a lower expectation for him.

I said it before and @sparky151 really disagreed, but he really nuked his draft stock by deciding to sit out everything after the first day of the senior bowl.  I saw several quotes from NFL GM's on the matter, and that really turned a lot of teams off.  

He could have easily been a 2nd rounder, maybe 1st, if he had finished the senior bowl and participated in the combine.

23 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I think I am pulling for Dawand Jones. It would allow us to move on from Williams or Collins without relying on Ford. He's also the last tackle in this draft I view as likely to be startable at some point this season. I don't think I'd draft anyone else, since I don't think it would be an asset for this season and we already have bodies.

I'd also be happy to draft Mayer, but much like the first round, I assume we'll get a TE eventually so I'm in no rush. 

Interior offensive lineman to back up center and perhaps push Volson out of the starting lineup? I'm into that.

Hopefully we don't get Charbonet. He doesn't have enough explosion for me to be excited about him.

This mostly still applies 

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I think Battle was taken to be the box safety/nickel LB, the role Bell filled so well.  Now we have two guys sharing the role in Scott and Battle.

But they signed Scott for that. I'm thinking they just liked the player so much more than any other options that they had to pull the trigger and figure it out later.

7 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

But they signed Scott for that. I'm thinking they just liked the player so much more than any other options that they had to pull the trigger and figure it out later.

Have you seen him lay the wood?  Scott isn't doing that consistently.

21 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

He actually was pretty dominant in college, not allowing even a QB hit, let alone a sack last year. He allowed a 1.3% pressure rate, the lowest of any tackle in FBS. 

Cleveland snapped him up early on day 3 and Pittsburgh took Darnell Washington at the end of day 2. So we'll find out if ignoring the O-line works out well for the Bengals. I'm not optimistic about this strategy. 

20 hours ago, theJ said:

I said it before and @sparky151 really disagreed, but he really nuked his draft stock by deciding to sit out everything after the first day of the senior bowl.  I saw several quotes from NFL GM's on the matter, and that really turned a lot of teams off.  

He could have easily been a 2nd rounder, maybe 1st, if he had finished the senior bowl and participated in the combine.

Yeah, I'm an advocate for picking Jones. But Washington did everything the draft industrial complex asked and he dropped too. Bengals had a visit with Dawand so maybe it didn't go well but one GM's confidence is another's arrogance. 

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Yeah, I'm an advocate for picking Jones. But Washington did everything the draft industrial complex asked and he dropped too. Bengals had a visit with Dawand so maybe it didn't go well but one GM's confidence is another's arrogance. 

I think Washington dropped just because he's never shown any penchant for catching passes.  It's a pretty big deal for a TE in today's game.

8 hours ago, theJ said:

I think Washington dropped just because he's never shown any penchant for catching passes.  It's a pretty big deal for a TE in today's game.

It was actually medical. Knee and foot apparently.

Dawand Jones dropped because he didn’t test, left the Senior Bowl after one day, and weighed in 20 lbs heavier than his combine weight before the draft. Major concerns about his weight and maturity. There’s a reason 32 teams passed 3 times.

Edited by SmittyBacall

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

He actually was pretty dominant in college, not allowing even a QB hit, let alone a sack last year. He allowed a 1.3% pressure rate, the lowest of any tackle in FBS. 

Cleveland snapped him up early on day 3 and Pittsburgh took Darnell Washington at the end of day 2. So we'll find out if ignoring the O-line works out well for the Bengals. I'm not optimistic about this strategy. 

How is signing the top LT on the FA market "ignoring the OL"?  Pretty sure they also signed some dude named Ford.  Plus have Jonah, Carman and Smith.  But hey, they ignored it.

16 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals had a visit with Dawand so maybe it didn't go well but one GM's confidence is another's arrogance. 

Which one is Tobin?  And maybe that interview with him scared them off.  Maybe Cleveland didn't meet with him, or met with him right after the combine.  Who knows?  I'm sure the front office had a plan, and it didn't matc h yours.  Or mine.  But that's their job.  I do it for fun, not to prove I can do it better (which all of us could do years ago when only Mikey was calling the shots).