Free Agency 2023

THE DUKE

Saw one of the guys who covers the Bengals saying he thinks it's possible the Bengals stay aggressive in free agency like they have been the past couple of years and try to land one bigger name and one mid level type signing even with the extensions the Bengals are looking at.  Part of his strategy was moving off guys like Mixon and Collins which I'm not sure if the Bengals would do that.  Also letting Bates and Pratt go.  Particularly mentioned going after another edge rusher.

28 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

Bengals beat podcast was interesting today. Talked about guys like Collins, Mixon and Boyd being discussed about being cut to open up room. Also they do not believe they get a deal done with Tee or Wilson this offseason. Seemed like the 4-7 mill vet is most likely in FA. 

I think they'll go another year without signing Tee as well.  Wilson i could see being extended if Pratt is let to walk, but not until closer to training camp.  I could also see that being a next year thing, but that gets dicey because presumably they would franchise Tee.  You can't franchise Logan then.

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think they'll go another year without signing Tee as well.  Wilson i could see being extended if Pratt is let to walk, but not until closer to training camp.  I could also see that being a next year thing, but that gets dicey because presumably they would franchise Tee.  You can't franchise Logan then.

It all comes down to the Burrow deal and the structure of that. Going into next year I dont want Tee and Wilson both being FA and it being time to pay Chase. Get burrow done quick to give us an idea of final numbers. 

• Like 1

Tee's open market value is likely to be at or above the tag. Logan's isn't as the LB tag number is based on edge rushers. I don't think they need to rush with Burrow but they should have talks with all their own players well before free agency begins to see who is being reasonable and who isn't. Bates is gone for sure since they drafted Hill. Otherwise they could keep all the soon to be free agents if they delay extensions for other guys. The team isn't very old so they could run it back with mostly the same roster plus some rookies if they want to. 

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Great to see Pratt back.  I'm shocked that Bell left for the numbers he got.  Were ther Bengals that cap-strapped or did he just want out?  I think we all knew Bates was gone, even if we hoped deep down they'd work it out.

It seems like it was really the third contract thing. They just weren't giving a high number at his age, which is crazy to me, especially with Bates gone.

I thought at the numbers he got, Bell would be back, but it wouldn't shock me if they want to get more athletic back there.  Von Bell had a 3.58 RAS coming out and is now 28 years old and will be nearing the end of his athletic prime.  Obviously his experience and skills are more valuable than Tycen Anderson's raw athleticism, but his 9.48 RAS definitely showed they wanted an athlete for the backend.  In FA, Juan Thornhill was a 9.75 RAS guy, but he is only about a year younger than Bell.  Dax was a 9.02 RAS and with more pedigree than Anderson, so even if inexperienced, we should be athletic on the backend this year.  I'd love to bring in Thornhill so Anderson can be depth after being injured last year.

They should have just paid Vonn. It's disappointing to lose him for 7.5 mil. Bell has played well during his 3 years in Cincinnati and losing both safeties is indeed the "dark day" that Anarumo worried about. If Anderson had been active and played as well as Hill last year, it might be a different story but the Bengals will have to sign a vet safety to be the starter now. Should have just paid Vonn.