Free Agency 2023

THE DUKE

34 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have an extremely favorable cap situation. They haven't restructured anyone because they don't need to do so. They haven't yet made any cap cuts though Mixon and Collins can't be assured of making the team. They have and had plenty of room to re-sign Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Flowers, Taylor, Williams, Sample, etc while extending Higgins and Burrow. They weren't going to be in the market for a 15 mil+ player but they didn't need to be. 

So far they are getting worse and scrambling to repair things. Maybe they thought lots of players would take less to play with Burrow or something like that but if so that was foolish. 

I sincerely doubt they're scrambling.  If i'm not panicking, they're not panicking. 

To my knowledge, they've never restructured a deal.  That's just a thing they choose not to do for reasons we know to be obvious: they don't want to mortgage future years with bad dead money.  

Mixon will likely be cut.  Collins is borderline.  Probably depends on his recovery and who they pick up at that position.  I could see him make it still.  

As for what money they have for whom - that's all conjecture.  None of us know for sure, though plenty on the internet like to pretend they have all the details. 

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

It's not a mystery what any Bengals player or any other player in the league is getting paid. Just go to Spotrac or Overthecap and you can see the numbers. The Bengals have plenty of money to spend without sacrificing the future. 

Guaranteed money requires cash on hand to put into escrow though, and cash flow from team to team is anything but consistent.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

It's not a mystery what any Bengals player or any other player in the league is getting paid. Just go to Spotrac or Overthecap and you can see the numbers. The Bengals have plenty of money to spend without sacrificing the future. 

It's not, you're correct. Go look at the chiefs or other teams with high paid QBs and you'll see they don't have many high cap hits. The Bengals are not an aberration here except in the fact they're planning ahead a bit. 

Though I will say here that I think they might be moving a bit slow here. I still think patience is key, but I think they missed the value on safeties. I don't mind letting Bell go, but the guy that just signed with Cleveland should have been a get at that price. 

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Bengals have an extremely favorable cap situation. They haven't restructured anyone because they don't need to do so. They haven't yet made any cap cuts though Mixon and Collins can't be assured of making the team. They have and had plenty of room to re-sign Bell, Pratt, Hurst, Apple, Flowers, Taylor, Williams, Sample, etc while extending Higgins and Burrow. They weren't going to be in the market for a 15 mil+ player but they didn't need to be. 

So far they are getting worse and scrambling to repair things. Maybe they thought lots of players would take less to play with Burrow or something like that but if so that was foolish. 

You can now take that Xanex and chill, all while publicly apologizing to the front office.  Seriously, having a stroke on the first day of official fdrfee agency, given the history of this front office, is the clinical definition of anxiety.  Bell was signed a week into free agency.  Apple was a day 4-5 guy.  The only major loss so far is Bates, who they addressed last year by taking Dax.  Losing Bell was unfortunate, but they may be moving on a day 3-4 guy now with Brown on board.  And this may be the deepest TE draft class ever, so no need to panic that they didn't give 30 plus year olds Bell and Hurst 3 year deals.

12 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Orlando Brown Jr. a Bengal. Where is @sparky151 ???

I'm right here. It's surprising he took a paycut to come here but let's enjoy it. He's a considerable upgrade from Jonah Williams. I thought he'd likely end up in Chicago as they need a LT and have lots of cap space.

23 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

You can now take that Xanex and chill, all while publicly apologizing to the front office.  Seriously, having a stroke on the first day of official fdrfee agency, given the history of this front office, is the clinical definition of anxiety.  Bell was signed a week into free agency.  Apple was a day 4-5 guy.  The only major loss so far is Bates, who they addressed last year by taking Dax.  Losing Bell was unfortunate, but they may be moving on a day 3-4 guy now with Brown on board.  And this may be the deepest TE draft class ever, so no need to panic that they didn't give 30 plus year olds Bell and Hurst 3 year deals.

Losing Bell in addition to Bates was still a bad move. They may sign Nick Scott or Taylor Rapp to take Bell's place but those guys are probably downgrades in Anarumo's scheme. Adding Brown on the cheap is a great move but it probably wouldn't have happened if he'd stuck to his original asking price. 

We need to sort out the depth chart at RT and trade Jonah or cut Lael. Then add a vet RB and cut Mixon. We still should re-sign Apple and Flowers and add a stopgap vet TE to pair with a rookie.