Free Agency 2023

THE DUKE

If i'm the Bengals, I wait until round 4.  Might not get a 3 down back at that point, but you can get a guy who can catch with some burst and is decent at pass pro.  He just might be more along the lines of 195-205 instead of 215-225.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

If i'm the Bengals, I wait until round 4.  Might not get a 3 down back at that point, but you can get a guy who can catch with some burst and is decent at pass pro.  He just might be more along the lines of 195-205 instead of 215-225.

Achane or Spears.  But that either comes late three or on an acquired pick in a trade back.  Otherwise, Chase Brown?

Achane is too small to be trusted with pass protection. Most rookies, even the bigger ones, aren't good at that. They can likely run well and maybe catch passes. But blitz pickup is probably not in their tool box. In college spread offenses, they run to the flat or the wheel route. 

7 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Achane is too small to be trusted with pass protection. Most rookies, even the bigger ones, aren't good at that. They can likely run well and maybe catch passes. But blitz pickup is probably not in their tool box. In college spread offenses, they run to the flat or the wheel route. 

Really?  How about Gio Bernard or James Brooks.  As my track coach used to sday, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m going to hate it so much when we take Michael Mayer at 28. God dammit.

I say F it, wait until rounds 2-4 for TE and throw whoever we take to the wolves.  Sink or swim.  LaPorta at 60 or maybe Schoonmaker at 92.  Keep 28 for a higher profile position.  Only way i'm ok with TE at 28 is if all the viable OT's are gone, no one is really interested in trading up, no viable CB there, and Cancey/Breese aren't there.  Under that scenario, i'd be ok with TE at 28.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Really?  How about Gio Bernard or James Brooks.  As my track coach used to sday, it ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Brooks is a viable comparison, but Bernard was 200+ at under 5'9", he had some thickness.

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m going to hate it so much when we take Michael Mayer at 28. God dammit.

And then RB in round 2.  Both picks will be reaches, and we'll all be upset.  The script is already written. 

I'd rather take Jones or Wright at 28 than a TE but wouldn't cry if we got Mayer or Washington there. The advantage of taking a RT at 28 is it lets us clear a good bit of cap space by moving on from Williams and Collins. 

We can still sign a couple of cheap vet TEs for depth and look for a longer term solution in the draft. Sign Jesse James as TE3 and Camerson Brate or Irv Smith as TE2. They'd probably cost about 8 mil for the pair. We're 17 mil under currently and have space to sign a couple of TEs plus Apple and Flowers. Then if we move on from Williams, Collins, and Mixon, we'd be way under the cap and able to not only extend Burrow but Higgins and probably Wilson or Reader as well. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

I'd rather take Jones or Wright at 28 than a TE but wouldn't cry if we got Mayer or Washington there. The advantage of taking a RT at 28 is it lets us clear a good bit of cap space by moving on from Williams and Collins. 

We can still sign a couple of cheap vet TEs for depth and look for a longer term solution in the draft. Sign Jesse James as TE3 and Camerson Brate or Irv Smith as TE2. They'd probably cost about 8 mil for the pair. We're 17 mil under currently and have space to sign a couple of TEs plus Apple and Flowers. Then if we move on from Williams, Collins, and Mixon, we'd be way under the cap and able to not only extend Burrow but Higgins and probably Wilson or Reader as well. 

Isn’t Collins’ contract dependent on games played?

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Isn’t Collins’ contract dependent on games played?

He has 3 mil of per game roster bonuses in his 8.666 mil cap number. It's 176,470 per game he's active. 

We'd save 7 mil if we trade or cut him before week 1. 

• Like 1