Free Agency 2023

THE DUKE

They signed Ford on his visit. One year deal, probably close to vet minimum benefit territory. My guess is he'll replace Scharping.

Let's see now Nick Scott's visit goes. Much more important than a backup guard's visit. He's said to have multiple suitors but if he's visiting we should have a good chance to get him. 

15 hours ago, sparky151 said:

They signed Ford on his visit. One year deal, probably close to vet minimum benefit territory. My guess is he'll replace Scharping.

Let's see now Nick Scott's visit goes. Much more important than a backup guard's visit. He's said to have multiple suitors but if he's visiting we should have a good chance to get him. 

Apparently they signed him as a tackle.  So they're going for the "maybe one of these trash OT's will show something in camp" approach.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Just need one😂

I think they'll end up with someone in the bargain bin category.  Hopefully that doesn't lock them in for a TE in round 1, because that spells disaster draft to me.

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

I think they'll end up with someone in the bargain bin category.  Hopefully that doesn't lock them in for a TE in round 1, because that spells disaster draft to me.

Eh. I think we can get by with Sample and Asiasi, who's name I'd have to learn to spell. We don't do a ton with tight ends and it would be nice if we did, but I think that's more of a "if he falls in your lap" situation than a need.

Just now, Beck Bristow said:

Eh. I think we can get by with Sample and Asiasi, who's name I'd have to learn to spell. We don't do a ton with tight ends and it would be nice if we did, but I think that's more of a "if he falls in your lap" situation than a need.

May as well go 4 wide and a RB if those are your TE's lol

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

May as well go 4 wide and a RB if those are your TE's lol

We use them mostly as blockers and release options. Sample can do that. Would be more fun and dangerous to get someone that can do more, but it's not going to limit what we've done in the past. 

5 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

We use them mostly as blockers and release options. Sample can do that. Would be more fun and dangerous to get someone that can do more, but it's not going to limit what we've done in the past. 

I think it does, because they're not going to do that very well.  Is any defense going to be worried about a 2 yd dumpoff to Sample?  That play likely ends in 3-4 yards.  

Not only that, they're not particularly good blockers.  

I just can't get excited about this as a final roster at all.  They need something more at either TE, or WR and just leave the TE off the field.

There were twitter reports that we'd reached a deal with Nick Scott but nothing since then.

Moreau would be fine as TE2. Sample/Wilcox/Asiasi can fight for TE3. Depending on what other needs are filled in free agency and who is on the board, I could see them taking Mayer and maybe Washington in round 1, Kincaid, Musgrave, or maybe LaPorta in round 2, and a bunch of guys in round 3 or later. 

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

There were twitter reports that we'd reached a deal with Nick Scott but nothing since then.

Moreau would be fine as TE2. Sample/Wilcox/Asiasi can fight for TE3. Depending on what other needs are filled in free agency and who is on the board, I could see them taking Mayer and maybe Washington in round 1, Kincaid, Musgrave, or maybe LaPorta in round 2, and a bunch of guys in round 3 or later. 

Or a combination of it.  This class is super deep at TE.  We can afford to double dip, even if they sign a guy like Moreau.