Free Agency 2023

THE DUKE

On 3/22/2023 at 8:30 PM, SmittyBacall said:

Well, we now know why there hasn’t been an announcement after visiting the Bengals and Saints.

Foster Moreau diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma by New Orleans medical staff. Stepping away from football to recover. Sad/scary stuff. 

The TE cupboard is BARE. 

Lucky for him he didn't sign with us. Also lucky that he's vested so he still has health coverage, otherwise I'd be left wanting either team to sign the kid as a practice squad player for the position of "excused absent". 

It's reported the Saints found this during a standard physical. Did we not give him a physical? Is their standard higher than the standard, or is our standard below? Assuming that there is a standard, for standard. And that medical advances since the 90s raised the standard for a physical higher than some doctor getting to 3rd base with me in a school part of my high school.

He's probably agreed to a contract with the Saints. Physicals are commonly given to new players. They are sometimes given to injured players a team is considering OBJ for instance. Moreau played at LSU so signing with the Saints seems like a natural fit for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theJ said:

Yeah my guess is the Bengals didn't give him a physical.

Maybe they didn't do an extensive physical but I doubt they did nothing.  It could be that they did, but the doctor didn't see the scan until after he left.  We may have called the saints.  

30 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

Good for an Apple replacement. Not good for a Chido replacement. Still would like to draft a corner early 

Chido was so good last year. Can't really replace him easily.

I'm also on board with drafting a CB early if possible.  Might be hard with RB/TE/OT being the nearly guaranteed first three picks.

Oh, and yeah this is a really good signing.  

15 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Day 1 or 2 CB incoming

Along with the day 1/2 RB, TE, OT? 🤣

This team left themselves a lot of holes in FA.  I kid, but only kind of.  TE is a must with their current situation.  They could pass on RB and take one later, bucking their trend of only playing guys they draft in the first 2 rounds (this would be great, btw).  They could also pass on OT for this year, but it really leaves them in a lurch next year (or possibly even this year if Jonah is traded).

What a mess.

Eh, I'd guess Jones must be cheaper than Apple. Eli was a pretty good depth player the last couple of years. Jones has had a pretty undistinguished career thus far. Maybe he's a replacement for Tre Flowers? Bengals should still sign one of Apple/Flowers before the draft. If we use an early pick at CB, that guy can bump Davis or George off the 53. 

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Along with the day 1/2 RB, TE, OT? 🤣

This team left themselves a lot of holes in FA.  I kid, but only kind of.  TE is a must with their current situation.  They could pass on RB and take one later, bucking their trend of only playing guys they draft in the first 2 rounds (this would be great, btw).  They could also pass on OT for this year, but it really leaves them in a lurch next year (or possibly even this year if Jonah is traded).

What a mess.

I don't think it's that bad.  This is a top heavy (three rounds) CB draft.  If they trade Jonah, they get a pick back.  With Sydney Jones, they won't double dip at the position.  Two TEs, a WR (they did re-sign Taylor), a RT, DT and an iOL.

We don't really need a D-linemen in this draft with all of the top 10 from last year returning. Presumably they are hoping for improvement from last year's rookies. 

I'd guess the eventual roster on defense breaks down as 5 DE, 5 DT, 5 LB, 6 CB, and 4 S.

We have 15 returning players in the front 7, though Tufele, Carter, Bachie, and Johnston can be improved upon. 

The 4 safeties are likely to be Hill, Scott, Thomas, and Anderson though the latter 2 aren't locks.

At CB, it's Awuzie, CTB, Hilton, then who knows. Maybe Jones, Davis, and George or a rookie bumps someone. 

I'd re-sign one of Apple or Flowers for more depth and still draft a CB if they are good value. I'd also sign a vet safety for vet min to compete with Anderson/Thomas.

The offense is a lot more unsettled, and we should at least re-sign Sample and Wilcox (or upgrades like Irv Smith and Jesse James), see how much Zeke Elliott is asking for as the Perine replacement, and have an offense-heavy draft. 

10 hours ago, sparky151 said:

The offense is a lot more unsettled, and we should at least re-sign Sample and Wilcox (or upgrades like Irv Smith and Jesse James), see how much Zeke Elliott is asking for as the Perine replacement, and have an offense-heavy draft. 

A prophet.

At this point i think the Bengals are working second shift with all these signings happening around midnight.

• Like 1

I still think we should try to re-sign Sample to a vet minimum deal, Smith is not a Y TE.  I also highly doubt we are in on Kincaid.  Great college receiver (with some injury issues and may not get to work out before the draft) but also not a Y TE.

I think we're playing the waiting game on Apple/Flower, I won't be shocked if neither is signed before the draft.

17 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I still think we should try to re-sign Sample to a vet minimum deal, Smith is not a Y TE.  I also highly doubt we are in on Kincaid.  Great college receiver (with some injury issues and may not get to work out before the draft) but also not a Y TE.

I think we're playing the waiting game on Apple/Flower, I won't be shocked if neither is signed before the draft.

I honestly don't see the value in bringing back Flower unless is near league minimum. He plays such a niche role and doesn't exactly dominate it.