Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Noticed one of the best players for both Clemson and ND were said to be from Richmond VA.

Like I said. A school in this states decides to toss the money at being a powerhouse. Theyll have the talent and make the money back 100x over.

I agree, between MD, VA, WVA, OH, DC and PA, a team in the DC Metro Area could do very well for themselves.  Maryland wants to be that program but can't seem to get it together.  Virginia Tech could be that program, but they don't seem to put the money into it. 

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree, between MD, VA, WVA, OH, DC and PA, a team in the DC Metro Area could do very well for themselves.  Maryland wants to be that program but can't seem to get it together.  Virginia Tech could be that program, but they don't seem to put the money into it. 

VT spends their money weirdly.. Dump 50 mill on stadium renovations any given time. But dont want to spend on big time coaches to fill the seats. They could have been the no.1 job this offseason. Even Purdue is willing to spend 6 mill on a coach now.

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

VT spends their money weirdly.. Dump 50 mill on stadium renovations any given time. But dont want to spend on big time coaches to fill the seats. They could have been the no.1 job this offseason. Even Purdue is willing to spend 6 mill on a coach now.

That's what I mean.  VT is a program with a history that should be dumping money into attracting a top tier coach.  Instead they're doing other things with it.  

16 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I don’t think you understand how they spend their money or how much they get. We’re not a top tier ACC income school. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Who was hotter at that time than Fuente? Not many. 

I agree, however, VT needs to think they are bigger.  Normally, I'd like to see Fuente put in a couple more seasons at a mid-above average Power Five school before going onto one of the elite jobs.  If you view yourself as an elite job, you hire someone with that experience and get ready to pay for it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I agree, however, VT needs to think they are bigger.  Normally, I'd like to see Fuente put in a couple more seasons at a mid-above average Power Five school before going onto one of the elite jobs.  If you view yourself as an elite job, you hire someone with that experience and get ready to pay for it.  

Who else was available? Genuinely asking. Can’t remember. Remember VT hired him early. Richt was available after. Not that that seems to have been any better. 

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Who else was available? Genuinely asking. Can’t remember. Remember VT hired him early. Richt was available after. Not that that seems to have been any better. 

If that was the off-season Richt was out, then Kirby Smart was available, but he was destined to take the UGA job.  

Currently, I'm thinking that Richt was forced out because he didn't want to let go of his son.  I;m a Georgia fan and like Richt, but he's definitely more of a recruiter and builder.  His teams never had that killer instinct to win in big games. 

14 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yeah I agree. Kirby doesn’t give off the “ACC” vibe

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/grading-college-footballs-head-coach-hires-2016

You guys did get the top spot.  Dino Babers and Matt Campbell were also very good hires.  This just proves it is really tough to get the hire right.  Georgia got lucky with Kirby Smart.  Syracuse and Iowa State maybe look the best behind them with Babers and Campbell, though those two might be going up a level next year.