Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

11 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I used to not mind the guy but man, I’ve reached a point where simply cannot stand Grant Paulsen. Dude is just horribly annoying and not anywhere near as knowledgeable as he thinks he is. 

Sad part is that "Grant & Danny" is probably the best sports-focused on WJFK. I think they're the only show on the sports talk show on the FM sports talk station that you can reliably turn on at any time and hear them talk ... about sports. I could not care less to hear about the Junkies' lives or Chad Dukes yell at his producer yet again about some trivial failure of the show.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It was quite obvious after he walked out on the team that Cravens wasn’t going to be much of anything. He simply doesn’t care enough to be great. Oh well. 

Which I believe we told all of the Broncos fans.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Bad draft pick 

In retrospect, absolutely. At the time, it looked like a smart pick.

It's why the draft is such a tricky beast: you can measure these guys physical capabilities with relative ease, but it's incredibly hard to measure their mental state and focus.

59 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Louisiana HS coach fired after taking his team to Back to Back state championship games.

Dumbest reasoning ever.

http://footballscoop.com/news/coach-back-back-state-title-appearances-forced-resign-bizarre-dispute-strange-midseason-agreement/

Sounds like he's going to be out of a job for all of a New York minute.

8 hours ago, Woz said:

Sad part is that "Grant & Danny" is probably the best sports-focused on WJFK. I think they're the only show on the sports talk show on the FM sports talk station that you can reliably turn on at any time and hear them talk ... about sports. I could not care less to hear about the Junkies' lives or Chad Dukes yell at his producer yet again about some trivial failure of the show.

I love the Junkies but I do hate me some Chad Dukes. He’s awful.

Just gonna put this here...

https://www.fcsfansnation.com/stories/2018/12/17/hey-espn-ncaa-be-honest-with-yourselves?fbclid=IwAR2J5AgjLbbPSViuimpx6r1474ydFAI4eYQUfYl-CYBYi55kM9EGJ9Ymlt4

I was watching the halftime show for the Celebration Bowl, and I am smart enough to know that even for a great FCS contest, ESPN, or any other network, isn’t likely to provide us with quality analysis of FCS football. To be honest, we can’t really blame them. It pays the bills to regurgitate the same takes about the same two playoff games between Alabama/Oklahoma and Notre Dame/Clemson for the next two weeks, and sprinkle in a take on a somewhat interesting bowl game here and there. What absolutely floored me about this particular clip, however, was how they tried to “argue” that there’s a reason the FBS playoffs work in FBS, and an FCS playoff would not work in the FBS. Well, thankfully some of us are willing to do the research on both FBS and FCS, and so I’d like to give the “experts” a crash course in what actually goes on in the FCS...

...let’s not pretend like TV pundits and the corporation of the NCAA really care about that, especially in sports like football and basketball. This is all about money, and nothing else for them. FCS athletes prepare for, and compete in games all the way up to, and through finals. The same goes for the FBS programs participating in early bowl games and conference championships. And, even if they have later bowl games, the kids are still practicing. So please, spare us the line of “oh but what about their education?” These kids are already practicing and playing through their hell weeks/finals weeks. The FCS games just happen to matter a little more at the time...

Secondly, I’d like to get into the debate of playing more games. As it stands now if you play in your conference championship and also play in the FBS championship, you’ll be playing a total of 15 games. Let’s take a look at the FCS. if you have a first round bye as a national seed and make it to the championship game, you are playing a total of...oh my goodness...15 games?!?! Funny how that works out. Now of course there are other variables in FCS, such as playing in the first round not as a national seed, or seasons like next year where the subdivision has 12 regular season games. But even still, are we REALLY going to quibble about one or two more games for a handful of teams? Trust me I am someone that genuinely cares about the health and safety of all athletes, especially those that are not being monetarily compensated, but I’m willing to bet that almost all college football players would do anything to play one more game with their teammates, especially for the chance to win a national championship. I say all of that to say, if you’re going to expand the playoffs in FBS to 8 (what I would like to see), you’re really adding one more game potentially for two schools, and even if you went to 12 or 16, it’s not that big of a difference. Besides, FBS schools have 20 plus more scholarship players than the FCS, and they’re apparently the “superior” athletes, and certainly have the superior facilities and support at the Power 5 level. The argument of too many games, is also a shallow one, at best.

BTW - if I recall corrctly, the FCS is the highest division in college football to hold a playoff tournament sanctioned by the NCAA to determine its champion. The 4 team "playoff" used by the FBS is not sanctioned by the NCAA.

So yeah, the current FBS "playoff" can and should be expanded.

P.S. - chuckled a bit about this...

I’m a firm believer that if you love something/someone, you ought to be critical of it/them because you hold them to a higher standard. As such, I am doing this for ESPN. If you’re going to cover the FCS on your bigger networks, get people that actually know about the history and programs to talk about these programs at halftime of these games. I promise your ratings won’t take a massive hit if you don’t mention Alabama or Clemson for a whole 20 minutes.

I don’t think Ted Leonsis is a bad owner, heck, he brought the city it’s first major championship in 26 years and the first for the Washington Capitals bespite the fact that they’ve been contenders for the Stanley Cup since I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Also, for as incredibly frustrating as the Wizards are and as much as Grunfield fails  sometimes as a GM, the truth is the Leonsis Wizards of this decade have been the best Wizards/Bullets decade since the 70s! 

I know we want more, and we should expect more l, but we also can’t forget that the current Wall/Beal Wizards have given us a team that has been more competitive the last 5 years than any Bullets/Wizards team in nearly 40 years.

Edited by turtle28

33 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I don’t think Ted Leonsis is a bad owner, heck, he brought the city it’s first major championship in 26 years and the first for the Washington Capitals bespite the fact that they’ve been contenders for the Stanley Cup since I was in elementary school in the late 80s.

Also, for as incredibly frustrating as the Wizards are and as much as Grunfield fails  sometimes as a GM, the truth is the Leonsis Wizards of this decade have been the best Wizards/Bullets decade since the 70s! 

I know we want more, and we should expect more l, but we also can’t forget that the current Wall/Beal Wizards have given us a team that has been more competitive the last 5 years than any Bullets/Wizards team in nearly 40 years.

Leonsis is a good owner for his hockey team. He’s a disaster for the wizards who has allowed a terrible GM to continue his awful run. He has shown he has no idea what the fanbase wants and the simply thinks he knows better than you or I. He doesn’t and he should sell the wizards. 

And Grunfeld doesn’t sometimes fail. He always fails. He’s god awful. 

Edited by lavar703
  • Like 1