Things other than C’s Talk

turtle28

10 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

8 NFL jobs opened up in the last few weeks and today

Green Bay.  Cleveland

Jets. Denver

Arizona. Miami

Cincy. Tampa 

I’m gonna double back and say I don’t think this is the year to fire Gruden. No sense in getting the ninth best coach out there. 

And rumors abound that Tomlin has a very warm seat, especially after the Antonio Brown fiasco this past week, but it would break a lot of tradition for the Rooney family to walk away from him right now.  

Gruden's job is safe due to the injuries, and Snyder has to wait another year for everyone to "forget" Lafemina and the Foster waiver claim. Gruden's job shouldn't be safe IMO, because the effort the players showed was absolutely pathetic.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

UCF is not a playoff contender 

Neither is Notre Dame. Ohio State should’ve played Alabama. Ohio State would’ve lost, but it would’ve certainly been a better game.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I’d love to have seen them with Milton

Me too. They had a dozen dropped passes, and some wild throws to open guys. 1 of which cost an easy td.

Then that idiot play at start of the game. Got a sack on 4th down, LB took the ball and spiked it. Giving LSU a first down, to which they scored on.

I give UCF props. Thats a very good team.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Neither is Notre Dame. Ohio State should’ve played Alabama. Ohio State would’ve lost, but it would’ve certainly been a better game.

If FBS adopted the FCS format for playoffs, then we'd see who really should've been in the semis and final.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

If FBS adopted the FCS format for playoffs, then we'd see who really should've been in the semis and final.

Personally, I believe there should be 8 teams- the Power 5 conference champions, a representative from the Group of Five, and two wild cards.  The group of five representative and wild card are picked by the committee, and once these 8 teams are decided, they seed the teams based off whatever ranking formula they want to use. 

This year, it would've checked all of the boxes.  We would have Ohio State and Georgia there, whom people wanted over ND and Oklahoma, and would also give UCF the chance they want on the big stage.  At the same time, this gives ND the same 1/4 chance to get in while not allowing them to kick out a conference champion.  I do not believe this is too large, but having a total showing like the FCS is probably a bit too much.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Personally, I believe there should be 8 teams- the Power 5 conference champions, a representative from the Group of Five, and two wild cards.  The group of five representative and wild card are picked by the committee, and once these 8 teams are decided, they seed the teams based off whatever ranking formula they want to use. 

This year, it would've checked all of the boxes.  We would have Ohio State and Georgia there, whom people wanted over ND and Oklahoma, and would also give UCF the chance they want on the big stage.  At the same time, this gives ND the same 1/4 chance to get in while not allowing them to kick out a conference champion.  I do not believe this is too large, but having a total showing like the FCS is probably a bit too much.  

8 is a good start. I like where you're going with this. Because it does get the G5 in with the P5 and allows for a few more to be put in. This way, you can more truly see who is deserving of being in the championship game. Unlike this year where OSU fans are gonna whine about being snubbed in favor of ND.

But the bolded I'm not following. The FCS doesn't have a "total showing". We have the conference champions who get seeded. Then we have a few more that are not seeded. The seeded teams get a bye on Thanksgiving weekend. The non-seeded teams don't. And they all finish in the same amount of games (up and through the final) as FBS teams do that play in the championship game. In fact the FCS Championship game is this coming Saturday.

Heres' the bracket. Its not that many teams in comparison to the number of FCS teams. And like I said, the # of games works out to be the same.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2019-01-01/fcs-playoffs-bracket-schedule-scores-and-how-watch-2018

• Like 1

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I thought that it appeared that 25 teams or so were involved in the tournament, which would cover all of the ranked teams in FBS.  I think that's way too many.  I'm apparently way off base on that though. 

No, there are about 24 teams. You're correct. I thought you meant that everyone in FCS was in the playoff.

As for the 24, why not? Why not have the top 24 go at it?