Brian Flores Hired as Defensive Coordinator

battle2heaven

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

He is involved with all parts of the team. 

Could the rookie Roy help in the run game at all? Hopefully he can get a chance to get some soon to at least provide some depth

I've been wondering this as well. Having 4 active DL seems a little strange to me but I know Hunter, Davenport, Wonnum, and Jones can play a traditional DL spot if needed. Perhaps that is the rationale?

46 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I've been wondering this as well. Having 4 active DL seems a little strange to me but I know Hunter, Davenport, Wonnum, and Jones can play a traditional DL spot if needed. Perhaps that is the rationale?

I think so.  I'd be curious to see how often they actually have 3 of the d-lineman on the field at a time but they will need to have more beef up front if teams are going to run right at them. 

Vikings pass defense in the 1st and 2nd half this season:

1ST HALF:
- 4.8 yds/att allowed (5th-best in NFL)
- 57.1 comp. % allowed (5th)
- 68.6 opp passer rating (6th)

2ND HALF:
- 7.1 yds/att allowed (22nd)
- 79.3 comp. % allowed (29th)
- 121.1 opp passer rating (28th)

TheVikingAge
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:
Vikings pass defense in the 1st and 2nd half this season:

1ST HALF:
- 4.8 yds/att allowed (5th-best in NFL)
- 57.1 comp. % allowed (5th)
- 68.6 opp passer rating (6th)

2ND HALF:
- 7.1 yds/att allowed (22nd)
- 79.3 comp. % allowed (29th)
- 121.1 opp passer rating (28th)

TheVikingAge

Dislike. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, vike daddy said:

blitz-rate.jpg

Let me ask a dumb question on statistical interpretation, "When he rushes an OLB, or any LB, is that considered blitzing?"   So, in a 4-3, a team rushes 4 with no blitz, but in a 3-4, bringing 4 is considered blitzing? 

If Flores is sending 5 50% of defensive snaps, that's a huge problem . . . And in that small sample size, I'd say opposing offenses figure it out by half time.  

This D needs to get off the field on 3rd downs.    Go to another stat, the Vikes have faced the 2nd most 3rd downs in the league, but are allowing a 38.7% conversion rate.   The conversion rate isn't horrible, but that's a lot of plays . . . I.e.:  the team is losing T.O.P. badly which exhausts the D.  Might be a contributing factor to the 2nd half D stats?

2 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Let me ask a dumb question on statistical interpretation, "When he rushes an OLB, or any LB, is that considered blitzing?"   So, in a 4-3, a team rushes 4 with no blitz, but in a 3-4, bringing 4 is considered blitzing? 

This is a very complicated question, but the easiest way to think about it is sending an off-ball player as a rusher. It will change based on alignment (over/under/wide/etc), but from a 3-4 there will be an attempt to create a mismatch or exploit an area with too many guys for the blockers to pick up.

I can almost guarantee that the defense will not be sending 1 solitary player over 300lbs on the field to try to stop the run going forward. TOP issues stemming from turnovers and Philly just gashing them in the run game should even out, but that was inexcusable from Flores, IMO. hopefully they figured it out during the mini bye.