The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

2 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Meh. It definitely wasn't good, but it wasn't a complete bust. Barnett was a disappointing pick at the time but is a decent player. Obviously not what you want in a first rounder but hardly a complete miss. Jones and Douglas both went on to play decently elsewhere cause Gym Shorts had the worst scheme for DB's in the league. Hollins is still a productive player. Not great but fine. The Pumphrey pick was awful from day one and is completely indefensible though.

Most of the players we picked in that draft have at least stuck around the league as role players. Far from a good draft, but not as bad as 2019 which was Sanders and 4 bad picks.

But what have they done for the Eagles.

Was it Gym Shorts scheme, or drafting players that did not fit that scheme ??

16 minutes ago, downundermike said:

But what have they done for the Eagles.

Was it Gym Shorts scheme, or drafting players that did not fit that scheme ??

I can't sit here and claim to know how the innerworkings of the draft discussions went. I am sure that if Howie had drafted the CB's that he talked to his DC about if they would fit his scheme or not though. Sure Howie deserves blame for bad drafts. He also deserves praise for good ones. 

Since he took back over: 

2016: Multiple starters and this draft class essentially lead us to a SB. Not the best, but still solid.

2017: Not good overall. Mostly drafted decent players but didn't produce for the Eagles.

2018: Absolute home run draft. 4 starters all drafted with massive impact.

2019: Not good. Sanders is a good player. The other 4 were bad picks.

2020: Jalen Hurts. Does the rest of the draft matter?

2021: Really good draft. Two Pro Bowl level starters and other role players+

2022: Too early to say with how little this draft played, but overall a ton of promise still. Also got AJ Brown with draft capital which is an A++++++

Howie isn't perfect, but overall he has been better in the draft than most of his detractors let off. He is pretty solid in the draft even though he has had some head scratching misses. He is elite at maneuvering the trade market and FA though and is absolutely in the top 5 GM discussion.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Yes, the rest of the draft matters, and the previous draft as well ties into this.

Multiple bad picks at WR led to having to continue pouring first round picks into WR, and the third 1st round pick also required a 3rd and 100 million to finish cleaning up the mess.

Imagine the players we could have drafted on defense if we had not absolutely butchered trying to get a WR.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I'm sure you all are tired of me beating this horse to death but we can't ignore the fact that we took one of the worst 1 round WRs of all time in 2020. Hurts is great and all - but Reagor is one of the biggest misses at WR of all time. 

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yes, the rest of the draft matters, and the previous draft as well ties into this.

Multiple bad picks at WR led to having to continue pouring first round picks into WR, and the third 1st round pick also required a 3rd and 100 million to finish cleaning up the mess.

Imagine the players we could have drafted on defense if we had not absolutely butchered trying to get a WR.

Mostly everyone here was so high on Reagor we just pretend he doesn't exist anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

Mostly everyone here was so high on Reagor we just pretend he doesn't exist anymore. 

I was a huge Justin Jefferson guy.  All my people from the board can back that up.

As I would say, constantly, it was very clear he was the most pro ready route runner in the draft in 10 years.

1 hour ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

2018? The year we drafted Goedert, Maddox, Sweat, and Mailata all in one draft without having a first round pick? Ya... Howie stinks and regularly blows the draft.

Reality is 2019/2020 were outliers and Howie has generally been decent to pretty damn solid in the draft.

Edit: also the 2020 draft got us Jalen Hurts so...... Ya the class as a whole disappointed but franchise QB was found so it is pretty damn good as well.

Yes, exactly what I said. Are we disagreeing here? As I said, the good ones are an anomaly. Don't know what we're arguing about. 

2017,2019,2020, are pretty putrid. Yes 2020 got us Jalen Hurts but on a terrible process and what was universally considered a reach. Good result, beyond terrible process. He doesn't get a pass on that. 

Don't know what to make of 2016 and they jury is still out on 2022. His stint as GM with Reid is nothing special. 

41 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

2022: Too early to say with how little this draft played, but overall a ton of promise still. Also got AJ Brown with draft capital which is an A++++++

Howie isn't perfect, but overall he has been better in the draft than most of his detractors let off. He is pretty solid in the draft even though he has had some head scratching misses. He is elite at maneuvering the trade market and FA though and is absolutely in the top 5 GM discussion.

It matters a lot, you don't waive picks when you make a good selection and in this case, one that was a terrible decision at the time. 

The AJ Brown thing is a great trade in a vacuum, but it also tells you we had to spend a first round pick at WR for three straight years because we couldn't get it right, plus a second in 2019. That's just a  terrible job on his part. 

He is not solid in the draft, that's recency bias. You are right about him being elite in the trade mark, FA he is not elite, he is pretty much hit or miss. And you forgot to add that he also has a tendency for going power drunk, backstabbing his coaching staff and inability to go beyond the rebuilding process (evidenced by going through 3 differnt HC).

Edited by Broadway Joe

7 hours ago, 4for4PhillyFan said:

Yep.  And this offseason might seem eerily like the 2018 offseason.  Throwing bad money at old players trying to hold onto past glory coupled with underachieving high picks.  Davis really needs to elevate his game this coming season.  

I'm fully expecting the offense to do well next year before the Hurts contract eats up everything....the defense on the other hand is about to collapse on itself. I just haven't seen much of Howie's defensive draft picks accounting for much. 

4 minutes ago, Shalodeep said:

I'm fully expecting the offense to do well next year before the Hurts contract eats up everything....the defense on the other hand is about to collapse on itself. I just haven't seen much of Howie's defensive draft picks accounting for much. 

Fingers crossed that Davis can be all that we hoped, and Dean is ready to step up.