The 2023 Offseason Thread

EaglesPeteC

Supplemental draft returns this year, July 11th.

Purdue WR Milton Wright the only player available for selection so far.

Right now, as of this writing, former Purdue wide receiver Milton Wright is the only player who has been admitted into the 2023 Supplemental Draft. Wright was ruled academically ineligible for the 2022 season, but was productive in 2021. The 6-foot-3, 195-pound receiver had 57 catches for 732 yards and 7 touchdowns, making him the Boilermakers’ second-leading receiver behind 2023 third-round pick David Bell.

4 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

So what do we think is really going to be the defensive scheme? 

Multiple looks, but I think they want to be more of a 3-4 base, with Reddick and Nolan coming off the edges.

I think the final product will hinge a lot on the conditioning of Jordan Davis.  If he can not play 30+ snaps a game, it will somewhat limit the different looks they can provide, and force them more to the 4-3 looks.

I think we are going to see a lot more press if not this year, maybe next when Deseai has a lot more of "his players", the addition of Ringo and Greedy makes me think that is something they will look to do if possible.

Granted, none of them is a "premium acquisition" in terms of resources but the two players being a similar mold may be a clue to that. 

1 hour ago, downundermike said:

Multiple looks, but I think they want to be more of a 3-4 base, with Reddick and Nolan coming off the edges.

I think the final product will hinge a lot on the conditioning of Jordan Davis.  If he can not play 30+ snaps a game, it will somewhat limit the different looks they can provide, and force them more to the 4-3 looks.

My thoughts too, multiple looks with more 3-4 / Bear fronts fits the personnel best. 

Yeah, Davis taking a step really unlocks things. I’m so excited to see how it looks, hopefully we get some quality year one production out of the rookies this year… Carter and Nolan starting off well really helps things out.

2 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

My thoughts too, multiple looks with more 3-4 / Bear fronts fits the personnel best. 

Yeah, Davis taking a step really unlocks things. I’m so excited to see how it looks, hopefully we get some quality year one production out of the rookies this year… Carter and Nolan starting off well really helps things out.

Yep.  For all the Howie fluffing going on, we do seem to be middle of the pack on getting impact from first year guys.

30 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Carter and Nolan starting off well really helps things out.

Honestly don't expect some crazy type production from either as rookies baring injuries to others TBH. Not with the veteran depth which includes Davis in the front 7. Especially given the constant rotation we seem to do or have in the past trying to keep players fresh.

Let's take a way too early stab at predicting training camp battles.

Olamide vs Watkins
Jurgens vs Steen (vs Fluker?)
The DT rotation pecking order
Off Ball LB Pecking order
CB depth behind Slay and Bradberry
S Rotation

18 hours ago, Danger said:

Let's take a way too early stab at predicting training camp battles.

Olamide vs Watkins
Jurgens vs Steen (vs Fluker?)
The DT rotation pecking order
Off Ball LB Pecking order
CB depth behind Slay and Bradberry
S Rotation

Watkins won't be close. 

Jurgens unless God forbid a Kelce injury

Cox/Carter to start but Fletcher will lose reps to Davis rather quickly as the season goes on. Milton will split time at both positions. Like DE, they all will get plenty of snaps to keep fresh. Neither Carter or Davis this year will get the Aaron Donald snaps per game treatment. 

Nakobe/Morrow will start flip a coin and pray Bradley, Ellis, Davion and VanSumeren don't need to start. 

As of now Greedy/Ringo then Jobe/Goodrich/Ricks. Obviously Maddox is Slot with McPhearson  giving him a breather or two.

To start the season Edmonds/Blankenship with Sidney Brown getting some reps like CGJ. I expect Brown to push as a starter by mid seaso.. I guess Wallace 🙈/McCollum, Evans after that?

God help us if the injury bug hits this this back 7.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Im still waiting for that trade or a few FA signings to happen, especially on the defensive side of the ball, before I think about positional battles.

I don't think anything happens until they see what they have after a week or so of camp.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, UndyTaker said:

Im still waiting for that trade or a few FA signings to happen, especially on the defensive side of the ball, before I think about positional battles.

Right now if we can bring in Free Agents give me Yannick and Suh

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Danger said:

Right now if we can bring in Free Agents give me Yannick and Suh

Suh came in and held his own and was a solid depth piece last year, but I like the battle for the 5th DT spot between Street, Tui, and Ojomo. I dont think anyone is going to sign Suh anyways so he'll probably be in the same spot last year and he'll be ready for a team desperate for DT depth in the middle of the season.

• Like 1